Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

We are officially in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are officially in!

We finally made our definite decision to home school our daughter this year! I ordered the SC 4 a few days ago and this morning I notified the school and school board about our decision. It's such a relief to finally take the leap and start planning the year. I've been researching for several months now, and been weighing all the pros and cons (we have 3 younger boys to care for as well), but God has kept giving me sign after sign that this is the right path for our family. I'm under no illusion that this will be easy, and I know I will need lots of guidance from you all along the way. So my first questions are:

1. I'm supposed to hand in a letter of intent to homeschool in addition to supplying a curricula over view by tomorrow. Is there a summary/book list/rubric that I can use that already exists? This would make it more expedient for me to give to the board. I don't think I need to go into extreme detail, but an outline for sure.
    2. As I begin to plan. How many hours a day should I set aside (approx) to cover the daily material? My daughter has mild autism and keeps up around, or slightly below grade level with her work.

Thank you for your help, and I'm very excited to join you all!
    Malin

Re: We are officially in!

Congratulations, Malin!

Book List -
    The first post in a forum thread on SC 4 gives you a book list.

Overview of Skills -
    If you look at the SC 4 page, you will see something called Skills to Develop, which will give you brief, projected objectives.

Sample Schedule -
    See the front of your SC 4 Curriculum Manual. You will find a sample schedule. This can be condensed to become a shorter day as you move along, but for reporting purposes you can allow the time allotted for each segment with small breaks for both of you.

Comment

Thank you Cheryl, this is very helpful as I'm drafting my letter! I ordered our SC curricula just a few days ago, so I don't have the manual yet. Or is there a digital down load of it as well?

Comment

I am not sure if you can receive a digital download (someone at MP will know). As you wait to find out, you might simply allow from 8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. for your first few weeks. Many families find that a set start time is very helpful. The end time can vary, just so long as you do not allow it to drag past a certain time. You can decide the time. For some this is 1 pm., for others 3 p.m. I tell my own children I make no decisions after dinner!

Comment

Check the sample download of the guide, it might include those pages
          Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
          DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
          DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
          Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
          Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

I don't know what state you are in, but if it is Arkansas, then you can just say curriculum: math, science, social studies, reading, language art - Memoria Press. Schedule: 4-5 days/week 34-36 weeks per year. (Or whatever you somewhat plan on)

I don't think they actually care as long as you have signed it. That was the advice I received when I started and there has never been a comment about it. Arkansas doesn't require a specific curriculum or a specific number of days, so the more vague the better as no one can then say, you said you would be teaching x on y date and time and I see you are at the park instead!

That definitely only covers Arkansas, though. Every state is different.
            Miah - married to Warcabbage, 3 boys, BS in social work, AS in Electrical Engineering Technology

Evulcarrot - 18, freshman in college, Medical Technology , mild autism
            Battlebroccoli - 17, lives with grandma, attends a special high school program part time
            Doomsprout - 10, highly verbal moderate autism, anxiety, motor delays, sensory processing issues - SC 4 with R&S 4

Comment

Thank you all! I'm finally done with my letter and heading to bed

Comment

Working...
              X