Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Rod and Staff Math

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rod and Staff Math

I officially feel like an idiot. I had no problem teaching Math-U-See to Stella, and no problem with Clara through level A. Then I think it went too fast in the second quarter of level 2, and she started to have trouble. I backed up and used Life of Fred. Again, no problem. I have the Rod and Staff level 2 teacher manual now and I honestly do not understand what it wants me to do. I am beyond confused. Apparently I cannot read a teacher manual for a real teacher instead of a homeschool one. I am very seriously considering just starting Math U See Beta again and moving on from there but calling the MUS people when I have trouble. They were very helpful before. Has anyone else had trouble understanding a 2nd grade math curriculum manual, or is this just a sign that I should not be teaching Clara math? I am truly upset right now because I totally do not get it. I got it just fine with Math-U-See and Life of Fred. Maybe my brain does not function correctly (well, I guess we all knew that already!)?
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Re: Rod and Staff Math

Hi Jeje,

I think it’s possible you are overthinking this, don’t worry if I can teach my daughter maths with R&S 2 you can as well!

To be honest I hardly use the teachers manual (I feel like those instructions are probably much more useful for a classroom teacher, I check on them every now and again, but don’t use them every day by any means). Look at the student book and you could probably guide Clara just with that...especially if you start to get the idea of what they are doing in their books - introducing the next numbers then practice, practice, practice.

I find Xtra Math (App) is really useful and I get my daughter to use it daily, replacing flash cards. I watch her using it every few days so I can see how she’s going.

Hope you find your feet with it quickly .
    Sarah

Aussies from Sydney, Australia
    Miriam 9yo Latina Christiana, Greek Myths, Poppers Penguins, Christian Studies 1, R+S 4 (also IEW Phonetic Zoo, IEW Poetry Memorisation, HWT Cursive)
    Jonny 6.5yo (Special Needs) SC Level 1
    Elissa 3.5yo SC Level B (for preschool)
    Thomas 12 months

Comment

Can you explain what exactly is confusing? Maybe if you do that we can help.
      Susan

2018-2019
      A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
      C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
      G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

With new programs I seem to need 1-3 hours by myself with all of the materials spread out in front of me. (This might be on a work table at home, at a Panera, or on the bed when things are quiet.) I need to study everything to grasp the overview of the entire plan and, only then, read through lessons alongside the Teacher Notes. It is like a foreign language at first.

Allow yourself time to do this. You will need time to make the visual aids and practice using them. You will need to see how all of the parts fit together.

The good news: After you learn, you will be ready for smoother sailing all the way through! The format becomes predictable for both teacher and student.

You are intelligent. If you can teach the other programs, you can do this too!

Comment

Jeje,

Which part was confusing? There are a few terms, usually in reference to the various charts, that can be confusing. You can ask specific questions here-without judgment- chances are many have had the same question. Once you have taught several lessons in R & S I think you find the program to be easy to follow due to the repetitiveness they incorporate. I would encourage you to try a few lessons and see how it works for you and your family. If you would like to call the office, I'm happy to help!

Blessings,
          Michelle T

Comment

I am seriously wondering if God is telling me not to move Clara to Rod and Staff. It turns out that MP accidentally shipped me the old version of Math 2 with the animals instead of the crayons for place value, and we were supposed to start Monday so I obviously won't be able to start math until I get the correct version of Math 2 unless I go back to Math-U-See or Life of Fred (which is really only a supplement, as far as I am concerned after doing Apples). I did finally manage to figure out what to do with the boat poster that I will have to make tomorrow for lesson 1. I do not understand in Before Class what the Chalkboard section wants me to do. I also have no idea what the After Class # 2 means about calling children to the water lily. What water lily? What largest number are they to circle? Thank you all for trying to encourage me, but this is still going way over my head, or they just are not explaining everything (like the water lily) and maybe expect you to know it from last year? I tried to use Rod & Staff grammar starting in a middle book before and also had no idea what the heck they were talking about. There they even seemed to ask the kids questions in R&S 4 grammar that had not been covered in the book yet at all. I am becoming quite frustrated already and do not know if it is worth it to try to change from a curriculum (Math-U-See) that I have very successfully taught to my other child (who admittedly does not have any learning disabilities and therefore likely finds it easier to pick things up).
            JeJe Greer
            Mom to:
            Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
            Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

Go look at Milestone books: https://www.milestonebooks.com/item/..._Staff_Grade_2 Click on the sample pages. You can see the directions to the teacher where it describes the the different sections.

The before class section is goes over what materials you need for the lesson, any preparation that needs to be done, and problems for you to put on the board. So look at the samples from milestone books. On lesson six, underneath the word chalkboard, are things you would put on the chalkboard to use during your teaching time. I usually write these on a piece of paper that we have at the table next to us. I often do not do every single example.

Then I go through the class time section. The things that are in bold are meant for you to say.

I go directly to the after class section when I teach the lesson. You might want to do it right away or have a separate drill time. Sometimes there is some things for you to put on the board. When that is the case it will be written in lighter type right underneath the words after class.

Hope this is helpful.
              Susan

2018-2019
              A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
              C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
              G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Originally posted by jejegreer View Post
                I am seriously wondering if God is telling me not to move Clara to Rod and Staff. It turns out that MP accidentally shipped me the old version of Math 2 with the animals instead of the crayons for place value, and we were supposed to start Monday so I obviously won't be able to start math until I get the correct version of Math 2 unless I go back to Math-U-See or Life of Fred (which is really only a supplement, as far as I am concerned after doing Apples). I did finally manage to figure out what to do with the boat poster that I will have to make tomorrow for lesson 1. I do not understand in Before Class what the Chalkboard section wants me to do. I also have no idea what the After Class # 2 means about calling children to the water lily. What water lily? What largest number are they to circle? Thank you all for trying to encourage me, but this is still going way over my head, or they just are not explaining everything (like the water lily) and maybe expect you to know it from last year? I tried to use Rod & Staff grammar starting in a middle book before and also had no idea what the heck they were talking about. There they even seemed to ask the kids questions in R&S 4 grammar that had not been covered in the book yet at all. I am becoming quite frustrated already and do not know if it is worth it to try to change from a curriculum (Math-U-See) that I have very successfully taught to my other child (who admittedly does not have any learning disabilities and therefore likely finds it easier to pick things up).

I do not think there is a math 2 with crayons? I only have math 2 with animals?
                Christine

(2018-2019)
                DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
                DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
                DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
                DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
                DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

It turns out that MP accidentally shipped me the old version of Math 2
                  Do you mean Math 1? There is no old edition of Math 2 for us to even ship! Math 1, however, is in the 3rd edition, but it's been that edition for years.

ETA: Never mind, JeJe. I think I figured out what's going on. Please see this post.
                  Last edited by Michael; 08-16-2018, 06:54 AM.
                  Michael
                  Memoria Press

Comment

First, be sure to read ALL the teacher information at the front of the book -- even the parts you probably won't use. This will save you confusion when you see various terms; you'll know what needs your attention and what doesn't. At the same time, remember that this was written for a classroom. Anything that says "post this on your classroom number line" or "have children come up", we just skip.

For homeschooling, your focus is on the Before Class and Class time sections. (the Class time section will tell you what to do with the things on the chalkboard). For the After Class section, do what makes sense to do with a child who is sitting next to you (drills, introducing new concepts, etc). Skip the rest.

ETA: for the crayon vs animal place value -- it doesn't matter if she knows anything about farm animals. She loves animals in general anyway so saying that a sheep reminds us of the "ones" and a pig reminds us of the "tens" isn't going to phase her (she can even picture pens that have ten pigs; the more tens you have, the more pens of ten pigs you have). They use crayons in Math 1 because they're a more concrete representation (a group of 10 crayons makes one ten, etc) but I think they're trying to increase the level of abstraction in Math 2 as the next step. She's already had an intro to place value through Math-U-See so I don't think the abstraction will be out of place (no pun intended ).
                    Last edited by jen1134; 08-16-2018, 08:22 AM.
                    Jennifer

2018-2019
                    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
                    DS-12 (6M)
                    DS-10 (SC3)
                    DD-8 (MP2)
                    DD-6 (SC2)
                    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Comment

I officially feel like an idiot. I had no problem teaching Math-U-See to Stella, and no problem with Clara through level A. Then I think it went too fast in the second quarter of level 2, and she started to have trouble. I backed up and used Life of Fred. Again, no problem. I have the Rod and Staff level 2 teacher manual now and I honestly do not understand what it wants me to do. I am beyond confused. Apparently I cannot read a teacher manual for a real teacher instead of a homeschool one. I am very seriously considering just starting Math U See Beta again and moving on from there but calling the MUS people when I have trouble. They were very helpful before. Has anyone else had trouble understanding a 2nd grade math curriculum manual, or is this just a sign that I should not be teaching Clara math? I am truly upset right now because I totally do not get it. I got it just fine with Math-U-See and Life of Fred. Maybe my brain does not function correctly (well, I guess we all knew that already!)?
                      Good morning again,

Have you this thread, A Quick R&S Question? It discusses how, and how not, to use the R&S teacher manuals.

HTH!
                      Michael
                      Memoria Press

Comment

I am looking at lesson 2--not sure if this is what you are referencing or not. Where it says CHALKBOARD, they want you to prepare everything in that section on the board just like it shows. All of that is used for the lesson parts. For a classroom, that is great, but for homeschooling, it's not my reality. As you work some lessons, you'll realize how much repetition is in each lesson and which things your child really needs to work extra on. So for example lesson 2, I would write the first 3 lines of numbers (78 73 74, 59 39 49, 82 83 81) on our small marker board at the table in real time. We'd review how we look at the tens place first and see if one is greater than another. If they are all the same, we move over to the ones place and compare numbers. That's it. I won't draw the lily pad or do all those numbers unless it's something we are struggling with. The lesson will take them through more practice on the concept. Does that make sense?

I do prep all the manipulatives before the school year, but beyond that I don't prep anything in advance for each lesson. We go through flash cards, then in real time I go through my manual and do the few things I think are most important from before/class time/after time. Then we look through the pages of the lesson and I help give reminders as needed (ex. we're counting dimes here, how do we count dimes? Yes, by 10's. Do you remember how to draw the cent sign). Then I set her loose to work and then immediately check/correct.

The best part about the teacher manual is that IF you need to over teach on something, the help is there. The workbooks provide so much practice, it's usually enough for most concepts. I can tell from working with her if she needs more review on something, and then I teach that area fully from the manual. But I give myself permission to skip things that are being learned well from the daily workbook.

-Laura

ETA: I can scan a page from 1st grade that has crayons if you need it. I laminated my copy and use that for place value practice as needed in R&S 2. I agree the animals are fine also, but for us the crayons provide continuity from last year.
                        2018-2019
                        DD8, MP2/SC4
                        DD6, MPK
                        DD4, SC-C

Comment

Originally posted by ljallen44 View Post
                          I do prep all the manipulatives before the school year, but beyond that I don't prep anything in advance for each lesson. We go through flash cards, then in real time I go through my manual and do the few things I think are most important from before/class time/after time. Then we look through the pages of the lesson and I help give reminders as needed (ex. we're counting dimes here, how do we count dimes? Yes, by 10's. Do you remember how to draw the cent sign). Then I set her loose to work and then immediately check/correct.

The best part about the teacher manual is that IF you need to overteach on something, the help is there. The workbooks provide so much practice, it's usually enough for most concepts.

Excellent tips and very good points!

Comment

I usually just have my student look at my teacher guide for a lot of that chalkboard stuff. The answers aren't given, so there's no way to cheat. It's faster than writing it all out. Plus, we dont do every single chalkboard thing, once they've proven proficiency and understanding we move on.
                            Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
                            DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
                            DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

Originally posted by ljallen44 View Post
                              I am looking at lesson 2--not sure if this is what you are referencing or not. Where it says CHALKBOARD, they want you to prepare everything in that section on the board just like it shows. All of that is used for the lesson parts. For a classroom, that is great, but for homeschooling, it's not my reality. As you work some lessons, you'll realize how much repetition is in each lesson and which things your child really needs to work extra on. So for example lesson 2, I would write the first 3 lines of numbers (78 73 74, 59 39 49, 82 83 81) on our small marker board at the table in real time. We'd review how we look at the tens place first and see if one is greater than another. If they are all the same, we move over to the ones place and compare numbers. That's it. I won't draw the lily pad or do all those numbers unless it's something we are struggling with. The lesson will take them through more practice on the concept. Does that make sense?

The best part about the teacher manual is that IF you need to over teach on something, the help is there. The workbooks provide so much practice, it's usually enough for most concepts. I can tell from working with her if she needs more review on something, and then I teach that area fully from the manual. But I give myself permission to skip things that are being learned well from the daily workbook.

-Laura

ETA: I can scan a page from 1st grade that has crayons if you need it. I laminated my copy and use that for place value practice as needed in R&S 2. I agree the animals are fine also, but for us the crayons provide continuity from last year.
                              I would really like the crayons page if you could send it to me. I keep waffling on math, but I am starting to think that math going to fast is the real problem. I am still going to need help with explaining concepts since R&S does not seem to do that.
                              JeJe Greer
                              Mom to:
                              Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
                              Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

Working...
                              X