Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

HELP! with placement, choices etc!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! with placement, choices etc!

Hi All!

This my first time posting to this forum, or to any for that matter! I have so appreciated reading so many posts and threads and all the good things on MP. Thank you all for so many insights and ideas. We are excited to do this classical education thing! I've even got my husband (engineer) reading Ivanhoe! I've dabbled some in MP curriculum, mostly First Start Reading, and the K Enrichment. I just started reading Simply Classical by Cheryl Swope. It's so good! I had been a strong advocate of Charlotte Mason, and I do love some of her stuff but I need more structure and am seeing that we need mastery! Especially my 8 year old. I have an 8.5 year old ds, 6.5 year old ds, 4.5 year old dd (she'll be doing Junior K this year), and just barely 2 year old dd. I have a few questions.

So here goes. My delightful 8.5 year old adopted son born 7 1/2 weeks early who is overly energetic, highly verbal (doesn't know when to stop sometimes and not always socially the most astute - trying to be funny - comes out hurtful or disrespectful and will hug or say hi to anyone in his path whether they want it or not or are even aware of his presence!), he's loud, wants to do everything with excessive speed, highly competitive, highly coordinated in gross motor skills but not in fine motor, and has difficulty focusing and is a struggling student. I suspect something like ADHD and dyslexia and dysgraphia and not a very good working memory but fantastic long term memory - but we've had no formal evaluation or diagnosis. I can read to him books on a middle school level (from Ambleside Year 1 and 2) and he can tell back to me easily the gist of the story and details that I forgot! And HE LOVES these challenging stories! But he is reading on a K/1st reading level. We've just gotten through CVC words and consonant blends and is starting silent e words and struggling. His writing and spelling are even worse. His handwriting isn't terrible when copying but he rarely tries to write anything on his own and I haven't pushed him. He loves to make up stories and poems so I've written those down. I've tried a lot of different curriculum with him! And spent a LOT Of money! :/ We have worked through to about half of Rod and Staff Math Grade 2 book 4 and had to put it aside. He and I were both frustrated. I think he needs variety in the written work and even more review of old concepts and trying to learn math facts are a frustration for both of us. I'm going to try CLE. The one thing that got him reading was the Pathway readers and he likes them. He looks forward to getting through a book and starting the next. He's about to finish the 2nd of 3 for the first grade set. After pouring over multiple curricula for hours upon hours for way too many weeks and months and being highly confused and frustrated about what to do and where to place him, I've found a lot a peace and comfort in looking at MP stuff and have ordered for him SC 2 and SC 3 for spelling, reading and phonics. I'd ordered Writing with Ease from Well Trained Mind but it's really not what I thought it would be. I wasn't going to do the Bible or the read aloud for SC that goes with the writing so that is why I didn't pick it, but now I'm wondering if I should with the Bible. I already have the grade 1 enrichment stuff that I was planning to use with all my kids together and didn't want to use the other set of read alouds that goes with SC. Are they similar? Should I just do that instead of the regular 1st grade enrichment? So my big question is, would it be better to do SC story time and more story time treasures for him this year (I was going to go through those with him this year to try to get him to the SC4 level next year) and or do we do SC4 level literature and me read to him and do oral questions and just keep doing reading practice with the Pathway readers? He thinks some of the story time treasure books are too babyish for him. I told him it would be good for him so he could read them to his baby sisters. He didn't buy it. I read all but Prairie School and the Animal Folk Tales stories to him 2-3 years before I found MP. I do plan on continuing to read Ambleside Year 2 books to him because he loves it so much with him narrating back to me.

And, part of the whole placement confusion is that his 6 year old brother is catching up to him fast. DS 8 has already noticed that reading seems easier for his younger brother than for him and that he's better at it. This is hard for this extremely competitive boy! I've tried to explain how God makes us all different and that even for me, reading wasn't easy but now I read all the time and love it. That helped some but I'm not sure how it is all going to come down when the younger brother starts reading the same MP books. DS six isn't quite ready for story time treasures but will be soon. I just have to finish up Book D of FSR with him which I am also still doing with the 8 year old just a little further along. So, in reality if I don't do SC 4 lit with the older one this year, they will likely be doing the same lit next year but with the younger one doing MP 2 most likely, not SC4. I don't know how to handle this! I don't want to hold the younger one back. Help!

And, How do I juggle all these kids. The 8 year old cannot do much independently, though we are working on it. The 6 year old is about the same and of course the 4 year old can't. And the 2 year old likes to "do school" with us and make a total mess when I'm not overseeing her! She does have room time for a while but that only last 45 minutes or so. I've struggled so much with how to schedule them for school without feeling like we are spending the whole day just doing school and not playing outside or snuggling with the 2 and 4 year old, etc. Help!

Thanks so much! I'm sorry this is so long!
    Blessings,
    Melanie
    Melanie T.

2020-2021
    DS 10 - Parts of SC 7/8, AAR & AAS Level 2+
    DS 8 - 3M
    DD 6 - 1st
    DD 4 - JK

Re: HELP! with placement, choices etc!

Welcome, Melanie!

This seems optimal to me:

DS 8 -
    SC 2 as written except omit SC Storytime Treasures & read-alouds. We do this often with our older students. Your son has an enormous fund of knowledge from all of the enrichment, but this will be the year to focus on improving his actual ability to read and write. Specifically, SC 2 will target his oral reading, phonics for decoding and for spelling, and his early composition skills. Teach Simply Classical Writing: Book One from the Bible version and use the accompanying text as his reader. His little brother will not be using these materials. His free time can be his time to explore higher-level content, such as listening to more challenging literature on audio books. You will create enrichment as independent "work" while you work with the younger children. You are right that it is time for mastery! He has had plenty of "exposure." Now he needs to build his competence in the core areas. Before you switch from R&S, I must ask if you created the flannelboard and other visual aids, taught the Before Class Time & After Class Time, used the hand motions, blacklines, etc. R&S is far more than the student's written workbook and should hold his interest if taught as intended. He likes the Pathway readers, and the "visually clean" format of R&S may hold the same appeal over time. I just wouldn't jump ship yet. If you did not teach fully, you can explain that you didn't realize how much MORE there was. In addition, our SC R&S lesson plans bring in real money for coin lessons and include movement games for reviewing both phonics and R&S math.

DS 6 -
    MP 1 as written. Combine all three of your youngest into his enrichment with read-alouds, art cards, or whatever they enjoy. Your 8yo will be learning cursive and may practice during this time. Keep his work separate to indicate his maturity, as he works toward more independent work completion.

DD 4 & 2 -
    JrK as written. The 4yo can do the written work. The 2yo can join in for the read-alouds.

This thread will have ideas for you to think about.

You probably know this, but if you have been considering a full neuropsych evaluation for your oldest, this would be a good time. As you read Simply Classical, you will come to tips for navigating a full assessment. Follow these.

I realize that the above recommendations do not match what you were thinking, so feel free to follow up. From here it appears that you have done a fabulous job enriching everyone's days, but this will be the year to get serious about teaching everyone to read, write well, memorize well, and do math well. These are time-intensive tasks, so make your full morning plans for these. Then you can fill in whatever else you enjoy when the morning work is complete.

Comment

Thank you so much Cheryl! This is very helpful!

And actually, after more thought and prayer last night, I had about made up my mind to do just about all that you'd suggested! You just made it all so clear! Should I do a different level of literature? Like SC3 or SC4 and do it orally and have him copy the answers we formulate together? I don't want him to miss all the good stuff in the literature guides!

I have been working on mastery with him since Kindergarten, especially with reading and math but it has just been slow going with him and I've tried so many different things to see if they would help him better that I'm sure that slowed us down more. Even with the SC1 phonics I had to slow down or stop and just keep reviewing ad nauseous.

With R&S I didn't do the flannel boards or bee & blossom posters but I used a lot of manipulatives that we had on hand like the linking cubes and abacus and real money and other things. I also did many of the Before and After activities with each lesson. I pretty much followed the MPK math plans for my younger son for R&S for about half the year but he started to baulk and did not want to do his workbook pages. He's a whiz at math (like his dad) and has figured out multiplication himself and all the addition and subtraction flashcards are a breeze for him. I didn't want to squelch his love of numbers. So I was thinking of something a bit more challenging until maybe 3rd or 4th grade when it seems R&S picks up the pace a bit. I did some Right Start math with R&S with him for a while but it just got to be too much for me! So I went back to R&S and was able to finish out the MPK plans with him. All that to say though, I do have the materials and the plans to do SC4 math with the oldest and MP1 with the younger son. Maybe I'll give it a go again. Or maybe I could just pick up the pace with the younger one? I feel like he could easily do the first half of the second grade math this year.

Yes, we are looking into getting DS 8 evaluated. I was just wondering if he'd just eventually catch on and there'd be a light bulb moment but as I've read and researched more in the last 6 months and seen what a breeze it is for my younger son to learn to read, I've realized there is much more going on than just being a late bloomer.

I'm really looking forward to having a more succinct plan and guide to follow for all for all my kids instead of trying to put it all together myself hodgepodge! I love doing that but I honestly got really burned out last year with all the planning it would take and with all the time I spent trying to figure out ways to help my oldest.

Thanks again so much for your time and help!
      Melanie T.

2020-2021
      DS 8 - 3M
      DD 6 - 1st
      DD 4 - JK

Comment

Sorry, that should be ad nauseum! Auto correct!
        Melanie T.

2020-2021
        DS 8 - 3M
        DD 6 - 1st
        DD 4 - JK

Comment

Thanks for the thread too! I actually read a lot of it this morning!
          Melanie T.

2020-2021
          DS 8 - 3M
          DD 6 - 1st
          DD 4 - JK

Comment

He will not miss out. If you teach the Bible writing, he will work on similar sentence formation, mechanics. I would plan to teach SC 3 next, then SC 4, and he will have the lit guides when he is ready for them. Resist the pull to do what is easy (read & discuss literature) until you have assured yourself that what is necessary (learning to read and write) has been given sufficient time in the day for all three of your older children. After that, feel free to add anything you would like! If you think you might teach SC next year, select something that is not covered in SC 3 & 4, or you might consider Myself & Others, which will include literature as well as self-control, manners, healthy habits, etc.

Comment

Thanks so much! That helps a lot!
              Melanie T.

2020-2021
              DS 8 - 3M
              DD 6 - 1st
              DD 4 - JK

Comment

Working...
              X