Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Anyone planning a 4 day homeschool week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone planning a 4 day homeschool week?

I'm over here, teetering on the edge of Panic Pond, trying to juggle all the things for this fall.

If you are rockin' a 4 day school week, chime in and let me know how it works. I know it would make my school YEAR longer, but I think that's a reasonable trade off for some breathing room.

(cross posted in the K-8 board)
    Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
    DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
    DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Re: Anyone planning a 4 day homeschool week?

We have been doing a 4 day week since JrK and K. It is wonderful to have the extra day to get caught up on all the things that are neglected during the week. For the previous grades, I was able to crunch the 5th day into the other days without any trouble. However, my eldest is entering 3rd grade and it is looking like it will be more difficult. I have been debating whether we will do some school on the 5th day or have a longer school year. I haven’t made my decision yet.
    Heidi

2018-19
    dd- 3m
    ds- SC 1
    dd- SC B

Comment

Originally posted by VAmom View Post
      We have been doing a 4 day week since JrK and K. It is wonderful to have the extra day to get caught up on all the things that are neglected during the week. For the previous grades, I was able to crunch the 5th day into the other days without any trouble. However, my eldest is entering 3rd grade and it is looking like it will be more difficult. I have been debating whether we will do some school on the 5th day or have a longer school year. I haven’t made my decision yet.
      Part of this is driven by me wanting to find a little more breathing room and space for me. I work outside the home part time (every Sat/Sun), and if we could get our schoolwork completed by Thurs eve, that would give me some mental white space and physical rest.
      Plans for 2019-20

DS6 - 5 - MP K

Comment

Dianna,
        We have always done a 4 day homeschool. We have homeschooled 7+ years and it is the best method for our family. Having tried it in elementary, middle school and jr high, it has fit well into each age group. We start mid august and finish last week of May.
        For our elementary kids, we schooled mon- thurs and used Friday as enrichment day (art, music, sports, social). The other days were for core work and we schooled 9-3 with a lunch and breaks. We now do the same for our 7 year old with special needs but use the afternoons mon-thurs for therapies but friday is still enrichment.

With our older kids, once they could work independently and extra curricular schedules became more demanding, we approached a block schedule for language arts and sciences but did math everyday. Friday was my day to work, etc and they used it for catching up on math homework, writing papers, projects, etc. Also, if we were co-oping with families (ie, sciences that needed labs, literature groups, higher level math, foreign language), those were all done on fridays as well when needed.
        Basically, we just made the four days of actual schooling sacred! No dr appts, no service projects, nothing but school on those days. This gave us our summers, spring and fall breaks and gave me some sanity and the older kids some self discipline.
        I hope that information helps. Every family is different. That is just what worked for us. Praying for a good start for you and your family.
        -
        Julie Paul

Comment

Diana -- everyone needs a day of rest. Taking one per week could be the best thing you could do for your family.

We kind of do 4 days per week -- 24 weeks of the year we have weekly co-op, and we have therapy two afternoons a week. This year my older two are doing a nature class at a local museum one afternoon a week for 12 weeks (I have never been good about nature study, even though I believe it's important. So we are down to 4 mornings and 2 afternoons a week for school. There just isn't any way to fit in a full week of school into that amount of time.
          Susan

2018-2019
          A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
          C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
          G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Originally posted by Juliepauldesign@gmail.com View Post
            Dianna,
            We have always done a 4 day homeschool. We have homeschooled 7+ years and it is the best method for our family. Having tried it in elementary, middle school and jr high, it has fit well into each age group. We start mid august and finish last week of May.
            For our elementary kids, we schooled mon- thurs and used Friday as enrichment day (art, music, sports, social). The other days were for core work and we schooled 9-3 with a lunch and breaks. We now do the same for our 7 year old with special needs but use the afternoons mon-thurs for therapies but friday is still enrichment.

With our older kids, once they could work independently and extra curricular schedules became more demanding, we approached a block schedule for language arts and sciences but did math everyday. Friday was my day to work, etc and they used it for catching up on math homework, writing papers, projects, etc. Also, if we were co-oping with families (ie, sciences that needed labs, literature groups, higher level math, foreign language), those were all done on fridays as well when needed.
            Basically, we just made the four days of actual schooling sacred! No dr appts, no service projects, nothing but school on those days. This gave us our summers, spring and fall breaks and gave me some sanity and the older kids some self discipline.
            I hope that information helps. Every family is different. That is just what worked for us. Praying for a good start for you and your family.
            -
            Julie Paul

This is KEY to remember, and thank you for putting it front and center. I'm stressing a bit about eye exams that are long overdue, dental exams that need to be rescheduled, etc. Labeling Fridays as 'doctor visit' days helps. We have speech therapy for Daniel on Thursdays, and I don't have wiggle room with that. However, we can pack up and take work along with us.
            Plans for 2019-20

DS6 - 5 - MP K

Comment

Originally posted by sfhargett View Post
              Diana -- everyone needs a day of rest. Taking one per week could be the best thing you could do for your family.

We kind of do 4 days per week -- 24 weeks of the year we have weekly co-op, and we have therapy two afternoons a week. This year my older two are doing a nature class at a local museum one afternoon a week for 12 weeks (I have never been good about nature study, even though I believe it's important. So we are down to 4 mornings and 2 afternoons a week for school. There just isn't any way to fit in a full week of school into that amount of time.

I'm REALLY feeling it. I'm actually putting in for a weekend of vacation time from work right before school starts, too, to clear my head a bit.

You're exactly right --- slowing this down a bit and allowing myself some breathing room will help me out tremendously.
              Last edited by DiannaKennedy; 08-11-2018, 11:22 AM. Reason: hello, GRAMMAR
              Plans for 2019-20

DS6 - 5 - MP K

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                I'm REALLY feeling it. I'm actually putting in for a weekend of vacation time from work right before school starts, too, to clear my head a bit.

You're exactly right --- slowing this down a bit and allowing myself some breathing room will help me out tremendously.
                Then there is also that method that your friend Pam Barnhill added as an option. There are 34ish weeks in MP (maybe 33 some grades/levels). 34x5 = 170 days of school. If you do school 10 months, you need to do curriculum 17 days in 30/31 days. You pick the days. I know some states require 180 (ours does), but we do enough other activities/field trips to make up for that. Those 10 days could get tacked onto the end to "start" your summer with other things, or add 1 day a month for field trips, etc.

You definetly need some "white space"! You just have to figure out how, for your family that works.
                Christine

(2019/2020)
                DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
                DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Working...
                X