Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Simply Classical Levels 5 & 6 Book List

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Simply Classical Levels 5 & 6 Book List

    Simply Classical Levels 5 & 6 Book List

    Curriculum Manual
    SC Levels 5 & 6 Curriculum Manual (two-year pace lesson plans) OR SC Levels 5 & 6 Curriculum Manual (one-year pace lesson plans)
    SC Levels 5 & 6 Reviews & Tests

    Latin
    Latina Christiana Basic Set:
    >Latina Christiana Teacher Manual
    >Latina Christiana Student Book
    >Latina Christiana CD
    Latina Christiana Review Worksheets Set
    >Latina Christiana Review Worksheets
    >Latina Christiana Review Worksheets Key

    Math
    R&S Grade 3 Math Set
    >Teacher's Manual (with Worksheets Key)
    >Student Book (with Supplemental Worksheets)
    >Blacklines
    >Speed Drills

    Spelling
    Traditional Spelling Book Two Set
    >Traditional Spelling II Teacher Manual
    >Traditional Spelling II Student Book
    >Traditional Spelling II Practice Sheets

    Literature, Grammar, Composition
    Core Skills Language Arts 3
    Introduction to Composition Teacher Key
    Introduction to Composition Student Guide
    English Grammar Recitation I Teacher Manual
    English Grammar Recitation Flashcards
    Farmer Boy, novel
    Farmer Boy, Teacher Guide
    The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, book
    Charlotte’s Web, novel
    Charlotte’s Web, Teacher Guide
    A Bear Called Paddington, novel
    A Bear Called Paddington, Teacher Guide
    Mr. Popper’s Penguins, novel
    Mr. Popper’s Penguins, Teacher Guide
    Composition and Sketchbook III
    Poetry for the Grammar Stage Teacher Guide
    Poetry for the Grammar Stage Student Guide

    Cursive
    New American Cursive 3: Scripture and Manners
    My Thankfulness Journal: Intermediate

    Christian and Classical Studies (History)
    Christian Studies I Teacher Manual
    Old Testament Flashcards
    Christian Studies Memory Verses Flashcards
    D'Aulaires' Greek Myths Teacher Guide
    D’Aulaires’ Greek Myths Flashcards
    The Golden Children’s Bible
    D'Aulaires' Greek Myths, text
    Timeline Program
    >Handbook
    >Composition & Sketchbook
    >Wall Cards
    >Student Flashcards
    Courage and a Clear Mind CD

    Enrichment (Art, Music, Geography, Science)
    Creating Art
    Music Appreciation I (including online playlists)
    States & Capitals Teacher Guide
    States & Capitals Student Study Guide
    God’s Protected World Teacher's Manual (R&S)
    God’s Protected World Student Book (R&S)

    New User Add-on Set (required items that were included in previous SC packages)
    Demo Clock
    States & Capitals Flashcards
    Prima Latina/Latina Christiana Flashcards
    Classical Phonics, Second Edition
    Phonics Flashcards
    Addition Flashcards (FlashKids)
    Subtraction Flashcards (FlashKids)
    Multiplication Flashcards (FlashKids)
    Division Flashcards (FlashKids)

    Recommended Supplements
    SC 5 & 6 Read-Aloud Set*
    Poetry for the Grammar Stage Anthology
    Latina Christiana DVDs
    Lingua Angelica CD
    Music Appreciation CD

    Optional Supplements for Additional Writing Practice
    Christian Studies I Student Guide
    D’Aulaires’ Greek Myths Student Guide
    Farmer Boy, Student Guide
    Charlotte’s Web, Student Guide
    A Bear Called Paddington, Student Guide
    Mr. Popper’s Penguins, Student Guide
    English Grammar Recitation I Student Book
    StartWrite CD

    *Read-Aloud Set
    Mary Poppins, by P. L.Travers
    James Herriot’s Treasury for Children
    The Saturdays, by Elizabeth Enright
    The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnett
    The Little Lame Prince, by Dinah Maria
    Caddie Woodlawn, by Carol Ryrie Brink
    The Family Under the Bridge, by Natalie Savage Carlson

    Optional Extended Lit Set (SC 3 American History Read-Aloud Set)
    Meet Christopher Columbus
    Pocahontas: Young Peacemaker
    The Thanksgiving Story
    Sarah Morton’s Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Girl
    Benjamin Franklin
    Meet George Washington
    Betsy Ross: Designer of Our Flag
    Where Was Patrick Henry on the 29th of May?
    Paul Revere’s Ride
    Paul Revere: Boston Patriot
    Meet Thomas Jefferson
    If You Were There When They Signed the Constitution
    The 4th of July Story
    Daniel Boone: Young Hunter and Tracker
    Johnny Appleseed
    Robert Fulton: Boy Craftsman
    How We Crossed the West: The Adventures of Lewis and Clark
    The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon
    Thomas Jefferson Builds a Library
    The Star-Spangled Banner
    Meet Abraham Lincoln
    Clara Barton: Founder of the American Red Cross
    Riding the Pony Express
    Locomotive
    George Washington Carver
    The Story of Thomas Alva Edison
    Helen Keller
    The Wright Brothers: Pioneers of American Aviation
    Neil Armstrong: Young Flyer
    Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans
    Last edited by Michael; 11-26-2018, 11:33 AM. Reason: Final list!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

    #2
    Re: SC 5-6 Book List

    So the extended lit portion of this curriculum is going to be the same books used in Simply Classical 3?

    Comment


      #3
      Re: SC 5-6 Book List

      What about Ludere Latin? I hear this is a great addition to LC? Too hard for SC kids?
      Christine

      (2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

      Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

      Comment


        #4
        Re: SC 5-6 Book List

        Originally posted by ElThom07 View Post
        So the extended lit portion of this curriculum is going to be the same books used in Simply Classical 3?
        Yes. If returning students heard these only as read-alouds, they can now read them as "readers." Many will be two years older now and will glean more from them than they did the first time through. This will give oral reading practice along with the American history overview.

        Some 5 & 6 students come to us "brand new" and never read these or heard these. This will provide new oral reading practice along with the American history insights and information.

        This is optional, however. Our SC 5&6 students will be reading daily in Literature. For different oral reading practice, if you did not want the American history selections, your Extended Lit books could come from this Supplemental Reading List. If you are working on fluency without the need for intensive pre-reading phonics, you might choose a level beneath the student's placement.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: SC 5-6 Book List

          Originally posted by howiecram View Post
          What about Ludere Latin? I hear this is a great addition to LC? Too hard for SC kids?
          We loved Ludere Latine at our house, but with special needs it is VERY teacher-intensive, especially with the puzzles requiring grammar forms specific to tense, persons, and number.

          For 7&8, we plan to have a Simply Classical Ludere Latine that will review 5&6 and provide puzzles for 7&8.

          Michael Simpson & I discussed this possibility several months ago. We're eager to make this available. If it is ready sooner than 7&8, we will let everyone know.

          In the meantime, Ludere Latine might be considered an optional supplement, but know ahead of time that this would become your new "hobby" alongside homeschooling. If you like puzzles and you enjoy Latin, this might be fine! However, in keeping with the strong desire to have everything completely teachable, we will not add the original Ludere Latine to the book list at this time.

          Comment


            #6
            Re: SC 5-6 Book List

            Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
            We loved Ludere Latine at our house, but with special needs it is VERY teacher-intensive, especially with the puzzles requiring grammar forms specific to tense, persons, and number.

            For 7&8, we plan to have a Simply Classical Ludere Latine that will review 5&6 and provide puzzles for 7&8.

            Michael Simpson & I discussed this possibility several months ago. We're eager to make this available. If it is ready sooner than 7&8, we will let everyone know.

            In the meantime, Ludere Latine might be considered an optional supplement, but know ahead of time that this would become your new "hobby" alongside homeschooling. If you like puzzles and you enjoy Latin, this might be fine! However, in keeping with the strong desire to have everything completely teachable, we will not add the original Ludere Latine to the book list at this time.
            That sounds great!
            Christine

            (2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
            DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
            DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

            Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

            Comment


              #7
              Re: SC 5-6 Book List

              Cheryl, can you describe how R&S Science is used? Looks like there's a group read section followed by independent reading. Is the plan to follow that?

              Do we have a publish timeline? We are basically doing this level right now. I had never thought of eliminating the lit guides, but I had already decided to scribe a lot of the other elements like Greek Myths to reduce writing.
              Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

              DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
              DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
              DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

              Comment


                #8
                Re: SC 5-6 Book List

                Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                Cheryl, can you describe how R&S Science is used? Looks like there's a group read section followed by independent reading. Is the plan to follow that?

                Do we have a publish timeline? We are basically doing this level right now. I had never thought of eliminating the lit guides, but I had already decided to scribe a lot of the other elements like Greek Myths to reduce writing.
                Good questions! Also curious your thoughts on the Poetry for the Grammar stage used in MP 3-7, I believe?
                Christine

                (2019/2020)
                DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

                Previous Years
                DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: SC 5-6 Book List

                  Science --
                  We are NOT requiring the "Independent Reading" to be independent unless the student is capable of both decoding and comprehending at the required reading level. Instead, the terms and concepts in those portions should be taught in the same manner as the section that comes before it in every lesson. You might be able to manage a paragraph of his rereading what you read (here and there), and this would be a good way to review the material while having him read.

                  We schedule this over at least two days to ensure that at least one activity or experiment is conducted each week. You can choose ahead of time to give yourself opportunity to gather needed materials. Usually they are household items.


                  Poetry for Grammar Stage --
                  We include this in small doses in 5 & 6, scheduled just like MP Third, interspersed among fiction.


                  Release Date --
                  That is a Tanya question!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: SC 5-6 Book List

                    Originally posted by cherylswope View Post


                    Poetry for Grammar Stage --
                    We include this in small doses in 5 & 6, scheduled just like MP Third, interspersed among fiction.
                    Is there a book? I feel like I am not seeing this on the book list?
                    Christine

                    (2019/2020)
                    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

                    Previous Years
                    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: SC 5-6 Book List

                      Ah, you are correct! It is on my list at home but somehow I did not transfer it to the master list. You will need both the Poetry for the Grammar Stage Teacher Manual and Poetry for the Grammar Stage Student Book.

                      As you mentioned, this set -- along with many of the books -- will be used for several years. We could not skimp on the student book for poetry, because more written engagement will be needed from the student in the poetry studies. I remain hopeful that costs with the SC 5&6, 7&8 plan will be lower for our families in the end!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: SC 5-6 Book List

                        P.S. You will now find those books on the master list above. Thanks for catching that, Christine!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: SC 5-6 Book List

                          Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                          Release Date -- That is a Tanya question!
                          I'm not Tanya, but she's out all week so I'm going to hijack

                          We are hoping to have SC 5&6 ready to release in late fall or early winter.

                          HTH!
                          Michael
                          Memoria Press

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: SC 5-6 Book List

                            Do you think we can combine SC 3 & SC 4? I would love that combo because then we can do the accelerated version of 5-6 for 5th grade, 7-8 for 6th grade, and 9-10 for 7th grade, and then Clara is only one year behind. I can deal with being a year behind. I am THRILLED that you have the accelerated version. Also, if you are transitioning from MP regular to SC starting with 5-6, would you be ready to do SC 5-6 after MP 2nd grade? I am still debating between 2nd grade and SC 3. There is too much writing in MP 2, but the reading is too easy in SC3. SC 3 writing is on target, 2nd grade math is going to be a bit easy, but OK since I bought the 2nd grade lesson plans and we will do the entirety of Math 2 this year, and spelling is concerning me still because the sole thing that has not worked for us in the SC curriculum is the spelling books. I bought Spelling Workout A and B to complete both this year instead of SC Spelling. I could order Traditional Spelling 1 and just use it through the year if there was a combined SC3-4 accelerated plan. I cannot ever thank you enough for providing a means to teach Clara to read. She reads the newspaper and chapter books like Magic Treehouse and the 13-Story Treehouse and Nancy Clancy for fun. It is remarkable how you used the curriculum to make it all understandable to her. Clara wants to be a veterinarian so the accelerated curriculum will be absolutely fabulous for her, and I think that maybe I should combine SC 3 and SC 4 instead of doing MP 2 now that I hear this idea.
                            JeJe Greer
                            Mom to:
                            Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
                            Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: SC 5-6 Book List

                              Originally posted by jejegreer View Post
                              Do you think we can combine SC 3 & SC 4? I would love that combo because then we can do the accelerated version of 5-6 for 5th grade, 7-8 for 6th grade, and 9-10 for 7th grade, and then Clara is only one year behind. I can deal with being a year behind. I am THRILLED that you have the accelerated version. Also, if you are transitioning from MP regular to SC starting with 5-6, would you be ready to do SC 5-6 after MP 2nd grade? I am still debating between 2nd grade and SC 3. There is too much writing in MP 2, but the reading is too easy in SC3. SC 3 writing is on target, 2nd grade math is going to be a bit easy, but OK since I bought the 2nd grade lesson plans and we will do the entirety of Math 2 this year, and spelling is concerning me still because the sole thing that has not worked for us in the SC curriculum is the spelling books. I bought Spelling Workout A and B to complete both this year instead of SC Spelling. I could order Traditional Spelling 1 and just use it through the year if there was a combined SC3-4 accelerated plan. I cannot ever thank you enough for providing a means to teach Clara to read. She reads the newspaper and chapter books like Magic Treehouse and the 13-Story Treehouse and Nancy Clancy for fun. It is remarkable how you used the curriculum to make it all understandable to her. Clara wants to be a veterinarian so the accelerated curriculum will be absolutely fabulous for her, and I think that maybe I should combine SC 3 and SC 4 instead of doing MP 2 now that I hear this idea.

                              I think that in your situation, I would consider SC3 Bible + Bible writing with SC3 Enrichment (no writing book) + Traditional Spelling 1 (SC4). The SC3 Enrichment "read alouds" could be used as the literature this year. You and Clara would team read the books (I bought two sets so we each had one). They are quite challenging! There are a few "picture" books sprinkled throughout, but these provided much relief from the harder "Childhood of x famous person". In the 1st semester those longer books are scheduled over 2 weeks. In the 2nd, in only 1 week. We could never finish them in less than 3. (We set a timer and just read together for 20 min. You might be able to do 30?)

                              Now, where is she at in cursive? Does she need NAC1, or NAC2? (Not addressing math in this post since I know you are debating that one)

                              The recitations from SC3 would likely be appropriate. She might be able to move to SC5/6 but you should wait until you see how this year goes before determining that path. I like the idea of the 5/6 in a year, but I suspect we might be more like 18 months (with my daughter). Again, I won't know until we get into it, but I don't want to set us up for failure thinking we can do it in 1 year, when really she might need the full 2!

                              We tried MP2 for about 3 weeks. We quickly came back to SC3 and "just" finished it, as written. (We did SC3 1st semester then I thought, oh, we have got this and moved over to MP2.......) Additionally we tried to do the Bible and History writing. I was focusing on checking boxes and not the quality of work. I wish we would have only done 1 and done it well! (she did ok, but it could have been better)

                              Good luck!
                              Christine

                              (2019/2020)
                              DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                              DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                              DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

                              Previous Years
                              DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                              DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X