Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Accommodation Tips for Rod & Staff 3?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HeatherB
    started a topic Accommodation Tips for Rod & Staff 3?

Accommodation Tips for Rod & Staff 3?

I have the traditional lesson plans booklet for Rod & Staff Arithmetic 3 (from Memoria). My two teens are about half way through SC 3 so not doing the math was written in SC 3. This will be our first experience using Rod and Staff math that has only textbook and not workbooks/handouts. Any tips for accommodating/best utilizing Arithmetic 3 so they are not overwhelmed by amount of recopying required etc?

Heather

• tanya
    replied
    Re: Accommodation Tips for Rod & Staff 3?

That is true, Christine. They just assume you are going to keep up between the workbook and text. When you do Lesson 25 in the text, you have to think to start using the supplemental workbook. After that, it is pretty easy to follow. But it really doesn't kick in until Lesson 25.

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied

Originally posted by tanya View Post
    I don't know that you are missing anything by not doing the supplemental workbook. We didn't have it for years, and our students did fine. These are just pages that R&S added because they felt there were holes in 3rd grade. If you ordered from us, you should have gotten the workbook with your text. R&S provides them alongside each text, and they have done this for several years now.

Tanya
    They are not scheduled anywhere, it looks easy to forget.

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

I don't know that you are missing anything by not doing the supplemental workbook. We didn't have it for years, and our students did fine. These are just pages that R&S added because they felt there were holes in 3rd grade. If you ordered from us, you should have gotten the workbook with your text. R&S provides them alongside each text, and they have done this for several years now.

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• HeatherB
    replied

The advantage of scanning and copying is that I could enlarge it if needed for my teens who have vision problems. I don't really want to buy extra copies for my two teens as we already have limited shelves storage at this time with the plethora of school supplies/books for 4 kids for this school year.

heather

Leave a comment:

• sfhargett
    replied

Just wanted to chime in and say my oldest is a bit over half way through math 3. We started off the year trying to having him copy the problems out and it was a disaster. So I decided to wait. He writes in the book. He has dysgraphia as well so it does cause some challenges -- mainly that reading his writing can be difficult, but it works so far. So far there has been enough space for him.

I use graph paper for the example problems in the teaching section.

If you're worried about erasing and causing holes, the easiest thing to do might be to just purchase 2 copies so you have extras. Copying the pages would cost almost the same as the book, wouldn't it?

We haven't used the supplemental workbook though. Are we missing anything important? Should I be having him do those pages?

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
    *randon off topic question, but pertains to R&S. Tanya, I thought I read in one of the R&S mailings that grade 2 math was being updated. Do you know anymore info on this grade, plus the updates you mentioned above to third?
    Hello Christine. Tanya says she completely missed this question last night, but she just gave me the answer to post for her: Yes, both R&S 2nd and 3rd Grade math are being revised. Unfortunately, we have not been told when the new editions will be ready. We're waiting along with you!

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Heather,

I was hoping R&S had changed their minds about the internet, but I'm not surprised you have been talking with Milestone. They have the largest R&S presence online. I agree that the internet has its problems, but it is hard to function without it these days, and I would love the opportunity to email R&S when I have a question rather than picking up the phone or scanning a letter I have written to them!

Oh, well! I'll keep the R&S phone number handy!

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Hello.

At HLS, we have students write in the 3rd grade books and then transition to copying onto paper in the 4th grade. We do have some students with dysgraphia and other issues that struggle with this in the 4th grade, but it is our policy for the 4th grade math book not to be a consumable. Since we move into long multiplication in 4th grade, it would be difficult for students to complete their work in their books. We do enforce the use of graph paper too, so that helps.

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied

I am wondering about this as well. I am not opposed to writing in the book, however, I wonder if there is a skill to learned here? I have no knowledge of how books 4-6 and higher maths work. Will my child need the skill of copying the problems? If so, I figure now is the time to start. The first 40 lessons are all review, so the new part would be copying the problems.

If, copying problems is not really a skill needed, then we too, shall write in the books.

(Erasing and pressing too hard are problems here as well though)

Lastly, I was told HLS - Indy actually begins 3rd grade writing in the books, then switches to copying the problems mid year. I can only assume that the rest of the grades are then copied as well.

*randon off topic question, but pertains to R&S. Tanya, I thought I read in one of the R&S mailings that grade 2 math was being updated. Do you know anymore info on this grade, plus the updates you mentioned above to third?

Leave a comment:

• HeatherB
    replied

Milestone Books said "Yes, since you are not copying to avoid buying the books, I'm sure it is fair use and the publishers would be happy to let you copy like that for special needs" when I tried to double check with them.

heather

Leave a comment:

• HeatherB
    replied

Well, I emailed the address for Milestones Books. I had found the placement tests etc listed on this website for milestonebooks.com. I just realized that is not Rod and Staff directly so now I feel like a goof, Tanya! I get catalogs via the mail through Rod and Staff directly too but didn't have one handy to see what it said on it.

Heather

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Wait! You emailed them? They have an email address? I thought they were anti-email, anti-internet. What email address do you have for them?

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• HeatherB
    replied

I emailed them and they do say it is okay if I scan and copy the pages. I may try this too so they can easily be re-copied if they get frustrated or erase too hard, etc.

Heather

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Hello.

The workbook only covers some concepts that R&S believe are missing from their 3rd grade math book. It is supplemental and I think it will go away when they revise their text to include this information. A supplemental workbook comes with the purchase of each textbook for 3rd grade. They are supposed to be used hand in hand.

I wonder if R&S would give you permission to copy the problems and enlarge them on the copier. You could call and ask them.

Tanya

Leave a comment:

Working...
X