Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Therapy & Schooling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Therapy & Schooling

Good Afternoon~

First, I'm brand-new this fall to SC/MP and I appreciate the warm welcome I've received. Thank you!

I'm very close to a clear plan for the coming school year and starting to think about schedules. My middle boy will have therapy every-other week. It usually takes an entire morning for the one-hour therapy and the drive to-and-from. My other children will stay at home with a babysitter that may or may not be able to work with my 9-year old (SC 2). My concern is not so much for my middle child, as he only has a 4-day week with SC C, but for my 9-year old.

How do you all work therapy into your school week and how do you meet your other children's needs while you are gone?

Our end time to the school day is 2:00 pm.

I'm halfway through Simply Classical and trying to read through the forum for tips and stratagems re: scheduling, too. It's all helpful!

Thank you again, Grace
    expat mama south of the border
    DD MP8
    DS SC 2
    DS2 SC C
    DS3 SC A

Re: Therapy & Schooling

Have you considered taking the 9yo? If you haven't yet read about "portable classical education" in Simply Classical, you will.

You can use the drive time for listening to audio books, sacred music, music by the featured Enrichment composer, or any of the poetry CDs in an SC level. Then use your middle boy's one-hour therapy time to find a quiet place for a solid hour of tutoring.

Just a thought. We used our therapy appointments for my daughter this way, so that my son benefited while she was in her longer therapy sessions.

Comment

SC2 can be 4 days. The 5th day is optional, for just the reason described! There is a dictation on that day that I would work in another day, but you can do well with only 4 days in SC2! (Maybe sometimes you get to the 5th day and sometimes you don’t!)
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by GraceEllen View Post
        Good Afternoon~

First, I'm brand-new this fall to SC/MP and I appreciate the warm welcome I've received. Thank you!

I'm very close to a clear plan for the coming school year and starting to think about schedules. My middle boy will have therapy every-other week. It usually takes an entire morning for the one-hour therapy and the drive to-and-from. My other children will stay at home with a babysitter that may or may not be able to work with my 9-year old (SC 2). My concern is not so much for my middle child, as he only has a 4-day week with SC C, but for my 9-year old.

How do you all work therapy into your school week and how do you meet your other children's needs while you are gone?

Our end time to the school day is 2:00 pm.
        Is this an ongoing therapy, or does it have an end point?
        Meaning, I might explore the option of making it every week, to be finished sooner. Also, every week would be easier for me to 'cement' in my schedule. Mentally, it's easier for me to keep track of weekly events than every other.

I agree with Cheryl, about taking the 9yo. Are you involved in the therapy, or are you in the waiting area? That would be a solid 45 minutes to work on school, with the commute to and from being perfect for audio books and/or music.
        Plans for 2019-20
        DD #1 : 24, heading to Chase Law School NKU Fall 2019
        DD #2 : 13 8A: HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
        DS #3 : 11 4A + Simply Classical 5/6; HLS Cottage School Louisville
        DS #4 : 11 4A + Simply Classical 5/6; HLS Cottage School Louisville
        DD #5: 7, MP 2 at home, HLS Cottage School Louisville
        DS #6: 5, MP K at home

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

I agree with the suggestion to work with your 9 yo when the other child is in therapy. My special needs child has PT, OT and speech therapies outside the home and I plan to do the same with my 9 yo during her brother’s sessions.
          DS13: Mix of MP 7/8
          DS11: MP 5M
          DD9: MP 2/3 mix
          DS6: Public school 1/2 day kindergarten, plus outside OT, PT and speech

Comment

Thank you for your kind, helpful responses.

February-June of 2018 was spent going bi-weekly evaluations. Our first therapy session is the end of August. So! I’m not sure if the therapist will want me there or not. I will explore this with her and ask about more frequent sessions.

We are going to a Mexican federally-funded Rehabilitacion Center that has a whole building dedicated to Autism. They have strict protocols.

It would provide a great opportunity to school a full hour in the car, too!

Thank you for the ideas.
            Grace
            DD MP8
            DS SC 2
            DS2 SC C
            DS3 SC A

Comment

Re: Therapy & Schooling Update

Thanks again for the helpful input earlier.

I just received the plan for the fall therapy and it will be one day per week. It's changed to a Friday--which works perfectly for our routine.

Just wanted to share since it is relevant to some suggestions made.

Also, the broken arm (my 9-yr old) has simplified our extra-curriculars by necessity. Interesting how that happened!
              DD MP8
              DS SC 2
              DS2 SC C
              DS3 SC A

Comment

Working...
              X