Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Teaching multiple levels SC Level C, Level 2, etc.!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching multiple levels SC Level C, Level 2, etc.!

Good Morning~ For all of you SC users with multiple children, I have a question-"how do you do it all?"

I have four children, ages 3-13. SC Level A (neuro typical), SC Level C (ADHD, ASD), SC Level 2 (ADD, Dyslexia), MP/other Grade 8 (neuro typical).

This is the first year we'll be doing something formal with all four children. It's also the first year that we're working the diagnosis. So! I've made all my little boxes of plans as to the exact books we will use, etc. for each child. I planned a day, based on estimated times of how long each subject will take. I've also looked at how much instructional time will be required of me.

First, there's the writing program I'm using with my oldest. (Also, she has agreed to teach our youngest level A). Then, it looks like most of SC Levels C & 2 are 1-1 time. That's a lot of hours in the day! Maybe I'm missing something. I'm working with 5 hours per day/5 days per week. Snacks, lunch, and running around are included in those five hours. And of course, meeting the needs of my almost-3 year old and keeping the 6-year old (Level C) out of mischief while teaching Level C to my nine year old. After that 5 hours, we are off to late afternoon sports and music.

It appears as though Level 2 will take 3.5 hours (I've added 45 min of group time in the am, 20 min of geography/history/song school Latin, 20 min of guitar practice per day in addition to Level C work which does not included Storytime but does include enrichment reading. For Level C, I've added 30 min of group time. It looks like about 2.5 hours per day.

If you are familiar with these levels and the dynamic of teaching multiple children, I would so appreciate your input!
    Thank you, slightly overwhelmed but determined.

• GraceEllen
    replied
    Re: Teaching multiple levels SC Level C, Level 2, etc.!

Thank you so much everyone for offering you experience and ideas! I am re-reading them as I fine-tune our plans.

Our MP boxes arrived & we're opening them tomorrow! It's like Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

You might also mine this thread for help:
    https://forum.memoriapress.com/showt...multiple-cores
    It’s a sticky over in K-8, so it’s always accessible.

The compilation/data PDF is here:
    https://highlandslatinnashville.file...d-2018-pdf.pdf
    Last edited by Anita; 07-23-2018, 09:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    This is important to remember: This is the first year we'll be doing something formal with all four children.

I just wanted to note that the SC plans are flexible and assume therapies, etc are needed. The SC-C is 4 days, but SC2 can also be 4 days. I would just look at what is scheduled on the optional 5th day and see if/where you can add extras.

I would consider the SC2 Bible edition (writing) and not even consider the Read Aloud/enrichment for SC2. Use the enrichment from SC-C this year for both kiddos. Sc-C, in particular, is best done as a whole. Your SC2 child will still benefit from the enrichment activities in SC-C.

It is often recommended with MP to stagger starts, or take more than 1 week to begin. You may find this option to be helpful. I will say though, that SC starts much slower so the two years we tried to go "slower" it actually was difficult because I didn't realize the slower start was already accounted for. That being said, do not get frustrated if it takes you longer than a week to finish week 1, etc.

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

This is important to remember: This is the first year we'll be doing something formal with all four children.

You might find that you need to pull back on "extracurriculars" this year, especially because the early years with therapy are so important.

One year we were going so many directions (and I only had two!) that I felt our school time was being squeezed away. I wrote on big poster board all of the extra activities, and the sheer quantity was absurd. I created a list of non-negotiables and told each to vote on the remaining favorites. From this, we reduced to a more manageable load. If you appreciate the home time, it is likely that at least one of your children is similar. And even if they do not think they like down time, it is nice to include it, and you can do this guilt-free. While you make meals, prep lessons, etc., they can be playing or helping with chores. There is always plenty to do at home.

You can encourage them by announcing that they are now "big kids" with their studies, so their books and discussions and lessons will become a priority this year.

Other tips:
    1. Remember the "portable classical education" for the drives, even if you play hymns or lullabies for poetry and memorization, chant math facts for review, or play word games in the car.
    2. Combine read-alouds, recitations, and enrichment where possible.
    3. Leave enough time for these: a) husband/wife, b) mom alone, c) family friends, and d) keeping the house reasonably clean. All of these help you avoid those homeschooling temptations to be wholly (and sometimes unhealthily) child-centered day by day.

This thread from K-8 might give you additional tips.

Leave a comment:

• GraceEllen
    replied

I’m trying to figure out how we can make it happen but break it up so that attitudes aren’t going down the drain or people aren’t getting overwhelmed and shutting down!
    Yes! I get that. It is a really delicate balance I definitely haven't figured out yet.

One more question about "fitting it all in"--how do you all do the Core and therapy appointments that often take half a day?
    For my boy that needs therapy, he's going to do SC C so he's on a 4-day week and I can just make his therapy day-Day 5. However, my 9-year old is doing Level 2 and then of course my daughter in Gr 8. Any creative suggestions?

The children are involved in music and sports from 3:30 on almost every night so there's not a lot of wiggle room. It's hard on this homebody mama.

Leave a comment:

• jen1134
    replied

Originally posted by GraceEllen View Post
    I guess I'm going to just have to look over the manuals when they arrive and see how to structure things and what to cut out. Honestly, change needs to happen. Even with all of that "beauty", a lot of the group time ended abruptly because of our 6 year-olds explosive behavior.
    This is a great idea; seeing the materials really makes a world of difference! I was going to try transitioning my 9yo to MP2 for some subjects but when I saw Level 3 at Sodalitas, I realized that he would most likely end up with gaps in his phonics if we switched at this point.

I can relate to the “group time ends bad” thing. If it went any longer than five minutes I would lose everyone because they were so anxious to get to their actual work (only because they hate having anything “hanging over them”). We really, really need to start daily Latin recitations with my older guys but those can take 20 minutes because they’re entering their third year of Latin. I’m trying to figure out how we can make it happen but break it up so that attitudes aren’t going down the drain or people aren’t getting overwhelmed and shutting down!

Leave a comment:

• GraceEllen
    replied

Thank you so much Jen for sharing your experience. I welcome the advice as we are completely new to MP/SC. I also admit to probably trying to do too much in past years with my oldest two. There are so many beautiful things to choose from and often find I need to scale back!

We do have a morning time with our own (Orthodox) prayers, Bible reading & memory and Saint's lives. That is the essential beginning to our day, but I have always added other things to that time-Shakespeare, beautiful picture books, geography, art, music, poetry, etc.

I guess I'm going to just have to look over the manuals when they arrive and see how to structure things and what to cut out. Honestly, change needs to happen. Even with all of that "beauty", a lot of the group time ended abruptly because of our 6 year-olds explosive behavior.

We guard our homeschool time pretty carefully here. However, therapy appointments are scheduled 1x week in the morning. The other three children stay home with a babysitter. In the past I've given my 9-year old a list of schoolwork to complete but it's hit-and-miss. My 13-year old does OK.

Leave a comment:

• jen1134
    replied

Originally posted by GraceEllen View Post
    Good Morning~ For all of you SC users with multiple children, I have a question-"how do you do it all?"

I have four children, ages 3-13. SC Level A (neuro typical), SC Level C (ADHD, ASD), SC Level 2 (ADD, Dyslexia), MP/other Grade 8 (neuro typical).

This is the first year we'll be doing something formal with all four children. It's also the first year that we're working the diagnosis. So! I've made all my little boxes of plans as to the exact books we will use, etc. for each child. I planned a day, based on estimated times of how long each subject will take. I've also looked at how much instructional time will be required of me.

First, there's the writing program I'm using with my oldest. (Also, she has agreed to teach our youngest level A). Then, it looks like most of SC Levels C & 2 are 1-1 time. That's a lot of hours in the day! Maybe I'm missing something. I'm working with 5 hours per day/5 days per week. Snacks, lunch, and running around are included in those five hours. And of course, meeting the needs of my almost-3 year old and keeping the 6-year old (Level C) out of mischief while teaching Level C to my nine year old. After that 5 hours, we are off to late afternoon sports and music.

It appears as though Level 2 will take 3.5 hours (I've added 45 min of group time in the am, 20 min of geography/history/song school Latin, 20 min of guitar practice per day in addition to Level C work which does not included Storytime but does include enrichment reading. For Level C, I've added 30 min of group time. It looks like about 2.5 hours per day.

If you are familiar with these levels and the dynamic of teaching multiple children, I would so appreciate your input!
    Thank you, slightly overwhelmed but determined.
    Welcome, Grace!

I have 7 children, ages 3-15 and most of them have varying levels of attention/sensory/executive function/anxiety/emotional regulation challenges. My 6 and 9 year olds are in Simply Classical (wrapping up Levels 1 and 2, respectively). The others are in MP cores with additional coaching and modifications where needed.

My first recommendation would be to not add anything to Simply Classical this year -- especially since this is your first year of formal schooling and your first year with SC and Memoria. The Levels are built so that everything integrates and gives just the right amount of challenge while also maintaining/building your child's confidence. The SC Enrichment (only pick one Enrichment to use with all the kids!) includes so many beautiful things for a "group time" AND it automatically integrates with everything else your children are doing in their daily studies. Plus, it includes the social/behavioral concepts that children with ASD often need.

I have to work one on one with my SC1, SC2 and MP1 children. This is completely do-able -- and actually makes things less frustrating for everyone because I can immediately catch/coach each of them when they begin getting distracted. Round-robin at the table doesn't work with kids who have attention challenges. The time each level will take depends on the individual child so while it's good to have a plan going in, be ready to change that plan after a few weeks when you're better able to gauge your children's work patterns. There will also be times when things will take longer because a particular child runs into a more challenging concept, etc.

My husband and I run a client-based business from home so I was very limited to 4-5 hours a day for school. After two years of this, I realized that I needed to cut back on my work hours so that neither myself nor my kids felt like we were "under the gun" when doing school. Kids with special needs need more time and I had to be okay with that in order to not only "do school" but do it well.

Give yourself enough margin in your school time to be able to do it well without feeling like you're living by the clock. Then, guard that school time -- don't schedule appointments, outings, etc. during those hours unless absolutely unavoidable. But also have a "drop dead" time. Whatever isn't done by that time gets picked up the following day.

I don't know if all of this is what you wanted to hear...but I've learned over the past two years that my ideal vision for things needs to be tempered by the reality of nurturing children with special needs -- no matter how mild or severe they may be.
    Last edited by jen1134; 07-12-2018, 09:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X