Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

What to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jen1134
    replied
    Re: What to do?

Originally posted by Anita View Post
    YEP! It’s basically 8AM — 9 o’clock at the very latest! — or nothing substantial is happening for the day. To be blunt, I get up early (5-530), get my coffee, have a few minutes of quiet time, unload the dishwasher, feed the animals, put breakfast on the table, give vitamins, make everyone do dishes, clean their rooms, make their beds, get dressed and brush their teeth and hair, pull out desks and chairs and we roll. It’s pretty much the only way it’s going to happen. Sometimes we start at 7 or 730 if we’re feeling squirrelly.

ETA:
    This routine starts the night before. The floors are swept, I almost never leave dirty dishes in the sink, the coffee maker is almost always programmed the night before and I even sometimes set the table for breakfast before I go to bed. The kids have a strict bedtime of no later than 8PM and they are required to help with the dishes. They also are required to clean their rooms and lay out their pajamas and clean underpants on their beds before dinner. Once dinner is over, all they have to do is clear the dishes, my daughter sweeps the floor, my son feeds the dog, and they all potty-brush-teeth-pjs. We say prayers-and-kisses-and-hugs, I close their doors and then I’m usually up 30-45 minutes later doing my nighttime routine before I retire with Hubby. This is basically our daily routine (unless you wake up — like I did today — with the house covered in cat pee. FELINE UTI IS FROM THE DEVIL.)

This may or may not be helpful. It’s just how we’ve managed it.

My girls climb into bed with us at 5:30. I used to stay up as soon as they woke up but it was killing me health-wise (despite going to bed between 9 and 9:30 — part of a chronic health condition plus I’m often up 2-3 times a night with the girls; sensory-related nightwaking, bathroom help, etc) so my husband said I needed to stop getting up that early. I’ve also got three kids who occasionally wake with low blood sugar, despite me being a dinner Nazi when it comes to the blend of protein/fats/carbs they’re getting. If I’m doing household stuff when they wake up, I can miss the subtle, early warning signs of trouble. So the glorious get-up-and-do-what-needs-to-be-done thing doesn’t work here.
    Last edited by jen1134; 06-26-2018, 11:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied
    Re: What to do?

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
    My 9yo and 6yo are both very sensitive to when in the day we start school, but especially my 9yo son. If we start after 8am, it’s a fight to get and keep his attention, regardless of what he was doing before we started. I basically need to make sure everyone eats, take my medicine, pour my cereal and then eat at the desk while I start school with him otherwise we’ll sit there for hours while he complains about the work. Start before 8 and he’s a joy to work with and we’re done in an hour. But it means that I can’t get everyone else going on chores, no laundry gets started, and my other kids have to wait for my help on stuff. He doesn’t watch the clock or anything— it’s like there’s some internal trigger that goes off after 8am. Has anyone else run into this? What did you do?
    YEP! It’s basically 8AM — 9 o’clock at the very latest! — or nothing substantial is happening for the day. To be blunt, I get up early (5-530), get my coffee, have a few minutes of quiet time, unload the dishwasher, feed the animals, put breakfast on the table, give vitamins, make everyone do dishes, clean their rooms, make their beds, get dressed and brush their teeth and hair, pull out desks and chairs and we roll. It’s pretty much the only way it’s going to happen. Sometimes we start at 7 or 730 if we’re feeling squirrelly.

ETA:
    This routine starts the night before. The floors are swept, I almost never leave dirty dishes in the sink, the coffee maker is almost always programmed the night before and I even sometimes set the table for breakfast before I go to bed. The kids have a strict bedtime of no later than 8PM and they are required to help with the dishes. They also are required to clean their rooms and lay out their pajamas and clean underpants on their beds before dinner. Once dinner is over, all they have to do is clear the dishes, my daughter sweeps the floor, my son feeds the dog, and they all potty-brush-teeth-pjs. We say prayers-and-kisses-and-hugs, I close their doors and then I’m usually up 30-45 minutes later doing my nighttime routine before I retire with Hubby. This is basically our daily routine (unless you wake up — like I did today — with the house covered in cat pee. FELINE UTI IS FROM THE DEVIL.)

This may or may not be helpful. It’s just how we’ve managed it.
    Last edited by Anita; 06-26-2018, 10:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X