Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Does the Phonics/Spelling level need to match the Reading?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the Phonics/Spelling level need to match the Reading?

C is currently double-timing the reading portion of SC2 -- he starts Storytime Treasures this week! Spelling is still slow for him so he'll be staying at the one week pace in that. He should finish in late October/early November. Will it be a problem to start the rest of SC3 before he's done with SC Spelling Book One?
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
    MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
    MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
    As above, plus:
    MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
    MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Re: Does the Phonics/Spelling level need to match the Reading?

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
    C is currently double-timing the reading portion of SC2 -- he starts Storytime Treasures this week! Spelling is still slow for him so he'll be staying at the one week pace in that. He should finish in late October/early November. Will it be a problem to start the rest of SC3 before he's done with SC Spelling Book One?
    No problem at all, Jen. We separate spelling just for this reason. With many of our students, spelling lags behind reading. If he begins to accelerate with spelling, this is fine too!

However, I noticed you included Phonics in your thread title. Just to clarify, phonics should correlate with his reading, and reading with phonics.

Comment

Re: Does the Phonics/Spelling level need to match the Reading?

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      No problem at all, Jen. We separate spelling just for this reason. With many of our students, spelling lags behind reading. If he begins to accelerate with spelling, this is fine too!

However, I noticed you included Phonics in your thread title. Just to clarify, phonics should correlate with his reading, and reading with phonics.
      Oh...up until this point the phonics has been review with some spelling-related items as well so I thought it stayed that way. I'll be sure to keep the phonics portion on pace with his reading from now on!
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
      MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
      MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
      As above, plus:
      MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
      MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

Working...
      X