Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

We did it! We finished SC2 today!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We did it! We finished SC2 today!

Hi Ladies,
    I just had to share. I finished SC2 with N and A today!!! A said they worked hard, which they did, and I did too! A year ago we had just pulled them back out of the three day a week Christian school for children with special learning needs. I started with reviewing FSR-C quickly, then D, then did the 8 week summer review from SC1, which I had done with N the year before. This school year certainly has had its challenges, mainly behavioral, but here we are. They both have done better than I thought they could. They are reading so much better and more fluently, especially A. We went back through math, starting at the beginning to review. N was a bit further along, and he is about to finish the first unit of grade 2 math in the book. A has just a little way to go to complete the first grade book. They both have surprised me how well they've done with spelling. They are good spellers! The writing book wasn't hard, but the repetition was just what they needed. They did well with that and copybook. I like Storytime Treasures better than they do, but they did it and learned too. We looked at and talked about every art print. After Christmas I decided I really needed to start playing the musical pieces, so I just found them and played them on my iPad. They really both enjoyed that! N is very ready for more content with American History and Science next year and A is, but he has a hard time listening to books with more content, like science. Both love a good story. Their handwriting is very good and cursive is going well. SC2 was just the right level and pace, challenging them but not moving too quickly. They will be almost 10 and 11 starting SC3.

We have also been working on the Equipping Minds Cognitive Development Curriculum, and that has helped them tremendously with increasing working memory, problem solving skills, Language skills, and general understanding.

I just wanted to say thank you, Cheryl! I truly don't know what I would have done without you and Simply Classical!

Now we will take a week off and then start our summer review. With vacation and with the week we are starting back to school (older two girls start and I want to start boys the same week), we need to shrink the 8 week review down to 4-5 weeks. Is that possible? Any suggestions on how to do that? What to include and what to leave out?

Thanks so much! I learn a lot from all of you! Lillian

Re: We did it! We finished SC2 today!

Originally posted by LillianinAl View Post
    Hi Ladies,
    I just had to share. I finished SC2 with N and A today!!! A said they worked hard, which they did, and I did too! A year ago we had just pulled them back out of the three day a week Christian school for children with special learning needs. I started with reviewing FSR-C quickly, then D, then did the 8 week summer review from SC1, which I had done with N the year before. This school year certainly has had its challenges, mainly behavioral, but here we are. They both have done better than I thought they could. They are reading so much better and more fluently, especially A. We went back through math, starting at the beginning to review. N was a bit further along, and he is about to finish the first unit of grade 2 math in the book. A has just a little way to go to complete the first grade book. They both have surprised me how well they've done with spelling. They are good spellers! The writing book wasn't hard, but the repetition was just what they needed. They did well with that and copybook. I like Storytime Treasures better than they do, but they did it and learned too. We looked at and talked about every art print. After Christmas I decided I really needed to start playing the musical pieces, so I just found them and played them on my iPad. They really both enjoyed that! N is very ready for more content with American History and Science next year and A is, but he has a hard time listening to books with more content, like science. Both love a good story. Their handwriting is very good and cursive is going well. SC2 was just the right level and pace, challenging them but not moving too quickly. They will be almost 10 and 11 starting SC3.

We have also been working on the Equipping Minds Cognitive Development Curriculum, and that has helped them tremendously with increasing working memory, problem solving skills, Language skills, and general understanding.

I just wanted to say thank you, Cheryl! I truly don't know what I would have done without you and Simply Classical!

Now we will take a week off and then start our summer review. With vacation and with the week we are starting back to school (older two girls start and I want to start boys the same week), we need to shrink the 8 week review down to 4-5 weeks. Is that possible? Any suggestions on how to do that? What to include and what to leave out?

Thanks so much! I learn a lot from all of you! Lillian
    Lillian,
    Great news! I love reading of your successful end of the year. We still have a couple more months before we finish up our current school year. Anyway, I wanted to ask you if you'll be at Sodalitas? I'd love to meet you and talk, especially since we are also an 'Equipping Minds' family. (Carol Brown is a personal friend of mine.)
    SusanP in VA

Comment

Congratulations, Lillian! This is impressive! Tell your boys we are all very proud of them.

Yes, if you need to condense the 8-Week Review into 4-5 weeks, do this:
      -Combine Week 1 and 2 to create one week.
      -Combine Week 3 and 4 for the next week.
      -Combine 5 and 6 for the following week.
      -Combine 7 and 8 for the final week.

Most subjects will be easy to do by extending the session a little bit. These will be easy:
      Recitations, Reading, Bible/Copybook, the visual portions of Cursive review, and Wonder, Beauty, and Imagination (lit, science, history, geography, world, art, music). Much of these are quick and oral.

These will be more difficult, simply because of the writing involved:

Phonics, Spelling, & Writing; Arithmetic; written Cursive. See how they do during the first two combined weeks, as these will be the easiest weeks. If the writing is too much for these, you will need to 1) cover some of the material orally and 2) omit something else.

A sample routine for scrunched SC 2 Review might look like this:

Recitations - once weekly cumulative, or daily and broken down into smaller pieces to cover the whole in a week

Phonics, Spelling, Writing - first in the day, some covered orally if needed

Reading, Bible/Copybook - both the reading selection and Bible story with Copybook verses

Break -

Arithmetic - select just a few of the assigned blacklists and play the musical selection as they work quietly

Cursive - visual/game first, then Cursive Practice Sheets

Read-Alouds as "dessert" for a day well-completed!

Enjoy that vacation. Thanks very much for the update. Good to hear.

Comment

Thank you, Susan! We worked with Carol the first year we did EM, and I loved working with her! I would surely like to come to Solidatas, but don't think I'll be able to this year.

Thank you, Cheryl, for the condensed version. I will probably just try to shorten it some without a deadline. I am just eager for SC3! I don't want to have too much to do this summer, though. And I foresee SC3 taking us longer than a school year to do well.

Thanks, Lillian

Comment

Yes, and the 8-week review is really only for any subject areas that need to be reviewed. You could do only reading and spelling, and that might be plenty!

Comment

Working...
          X