Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Can someone explain use of the Clover Patch in RS2?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone explain use of the Clover Patch in RS2?

I read the TM explanation of the clover patch but I don’t get it. I understand the idea of being able to see things in groups of ten, but I don’t see how that translates to the triplets because there’s no way to tell the difference between the base clovers and the additional pink clovers...or is the amount over the ten supposed to be what the purple clovers are for? They never say what to use those for in the TM.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
    MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
    MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
    As above, plus:
    MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
    MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Re: Can someone explain use of the Clover Patch in RS2?

There's a R&S 2 sticky on the special needs forum. Here's a blurb I wrote at the very end... I can't get the hyperlinks to attach and work, so swing over to that thread and there's lots of pictures to help ya visualize what they're talking about

This is the clover patch. It's two folders glued together to make a three page spread. The far right folder has its 'back' trimmed so that the back tab is removed. The "fold" of the right folder is lined up with the right side of the left folder. By cutting that tab off, it folds up to the size of a normal file folder. This part that folds in has a ziploc bag taped in it to keep the pieces and parts. Don't tape it down really tight, or you you won't be able to reach inside the bag to get the clovers out. The color of your clovers is important. You want 10 of the same color (they say pink) and 8 more of a different color (with a few spares of each).

The pink is "Pink, think 10"; theyre trying to teach the kids visualization of 10 plus. So, they see 10 pink clovers and five others...10+5 is fifteen clovers total. Then they look at bees. If 7 of the pink clovers have bees, then 8 clovers do not have bees. So your triplet is 15, 7 and 8.
    Last edited by Colomama; 06-14-2018, 10:22 AM.
    Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
    DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
    DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
      There's a R&S 2 sticky on the special needs forum. Here's a blurb I wrote at the very end... I can't get the hyperlinks to attach and work, so swing over to that thread and there's lots of pictures to help ya visualize what they're talking about

This is the clover patch. It's two folders glued together to make a three page spread. The far right folder has its 'back' trimmed so that the back tab is removed. The "fold" of the right folder is lined up with the right side of the left folder. By cutting that tab off, it folds up to the size of a normal file folder. This part that folds in has a ziploc bag taped in it to keep the pieces and parts. Don't tape it down really tight, or you you won't be able to reach inside the bag to get the clovers out. The color of your clovers is important. You want 10 of the same color (they say pink) and 8 more of a different color (with a few spares of each).

The pink is "Pink, think 10"; theyre trying to teach the kids visualization of 10 plus. So, they see 10 pink clovers and five others...10+5 is fifteen clovers total. Then they look at bees. If 7 of the pink clovers have bees, then 8 clovers do not have bees. So your triplet is 15, 7 and 8.

I made the patch last summer, but when I went to use it it was a complete flop. The pink clovers for base ten are the same color as the extra clovers you put in (like the extra 5 to make 15 in your example). How do the kids tell the difference between the base 10 and the additional amount? I think I might try it again, using the purple clovers for the extra amount....unless the purple ones are used for something else later on?
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
      MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
      MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
      As above, plus:
      MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
      MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

Yes yes. 10 are one color - pink, 8 are a different color- they say purple, but really any color besides pink would work. Then, they are two sided, some have bees on the back. Really, you could have bees on the back of every single one. The TM would show when to have how many bees showing and then you just flip them over.

I said, "pink think 10, and how many more? How many is that total?" Alot
        Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
        DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
        DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

Working...
        X