Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC3 in the books! *shew*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC3 in the books! *shew*

Hi!

I am calling us "done" with SC3! This was a challenge for us. However, I already am seeing the fruits of the hardworking in my daughter's leisure activities. At the end of SC2, Writing Book 1, she would voluntarily write stories, "books" etc. She would write in complete, but very basic sentences. I found a book the other day and there are adjectives in her stories now!

Here is what we had from SC3:

Sc3 Curriculum guide
    SC More Storytime Treasures (all the books to go along)
    Wagon Wheels
    Prairie School/Literature Guide
    SC Writing Book 2 Bible AND Am. History
    New American Cursive 2
    My Thankfulness Journal: Beginner
    SC Copybook, Cursive 3
    R&S 2 (all workbooks)
    Prima Latina all materials
    Sc3 Enrichment guide
    Map of the U.S. Sticker Book
    States& Capitals Flashcards
    MP Phonics Flashcards
    Classical Phonics
    The Story Bible
    K-2 Art Cards & Posters
    Core Skills 3
    SC3 American History Read Alouds (all but Neil Armstrong) + SC3 Enrichment Books (Science, etc)

Additional Non SC3 items

AAS2, AAR3, AAR4
    Catholic Religion Program
    Poetry from Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum

Here are how thing REALLY shook out: (just keeping it real!!)

Story Bible, Bible Verses, + Bible Writing 2 + Copybook 3
    We read ALL of the Bible! My daughter did do a lot of the reading, but since we were using it as our Bible for my other two kids (ages 4 & 6), it was hard for them to comprehend all the time. We took turns. We answered the questions in the book, did the prayers. We very occasionally did the "do". The Bible Writing 2 was done every day! Yeah! We dropped the Copybook about 10 weeks in. We did do the recitations, but probably only ever made it to around week 12 with the Bible verses.

Spelling
    We did every single week of the spelling and finished about 6 weeks "ahead of schedule". We also added AAS 2. We alternated the two as my daughter could spell almost every word every week, with the exception of the "words to know" in the spelling book 2. Her spelling is quite good, actually! We used the tools suggested in the spelling book 2 to help with the "words to know". On the final exam she got every single word correct!

Prima Latina
    My daughter LOVE Prima. I had the bright idea to go ahead and try the MP2 pace, but dropped that on week 3, we went back to the SC3 plans and just completed through Lesson 5. We'll start fresh with Prima in SC4. My daughter really enjoyed doing Latin though! I enjoyed the suggestions in the SC3 plans.

Reading/Phonics
    We finished up AAR3 the summer prior to SC3. We did the SC3 plans, as written with book E (even though we had completed it the summer after MPK AND completed AAR3.) I'm glad we did it the way it was scheduled. WE did move more quickly through More Storytime Treasures, Wagon Wheels and Prairie School. She did all the writing, and there were no complaints! We finished the year about 8 weeks ahead of schedule. We are doing the SC3 Am. History and team reading the history readers. We also began AAR4, but we are moving very slowly. If the Am His reading is/was a chapter book, that is "all" we are doing for the week. Her reading jumped 2 levels when I tested her in Oct/Nov. However, I have not seen the same level of improvement in these last 6 months. She's making progress. However, this seems to be her status quo. Instead of learning linearly, she moves very, very slowly then makes huge leaps. We made the leap and now are making the slow progress!

Math
    We finished R&s2. She knows her math facts, but still "struggles" a bit with carrying and borrowing. (as indicated in a different post) WE do plan to move into R&S 3 in the fall. We did not really use any plans, but just worked through the lessons, in order. I made my own bees!

Enrichment
    In some ways we were extremely successful, in other ways were were total failures! We just finished reading about Thomas Edison. WOW, that was hard and after the 1st chapter I almost just called it quits. It was a very challenging, but very interesting book! I'm so glad we stuck with it! IT did take us 3 weeks to read it! In the 1st semester the longer chapter books were scheduled for 2 weeks, but in the second semester they were only scheduled for 1. We were never able to read one in a week. I set a "time" and we read aloud for around 20 minutes every day. We still have Helen Keller and the Wright Brother, which I plan to read over the summer. I never got Neil Armstrong for some reason, and we don't have it at the library. I do not plan on reading that one. (maybe another time!) I tried to do the art cards, but 3 levels was difficult. I had organized them into a photo album and I should have just stuck with that! I bought some nice frames at Michael's (3) and planned to change them every week. They did not get changed every week. WE did look them over sometimes, but can honestly admit they were not done with great regularity. I did change the poster every now and then. I ended up just posting them liturgically and seasonally. We did enjoy when they were tied to "sacred art" and those were almost always talked about. WE listened to the music about 50% of the time. UGH! We might try and get through those this summer! I purchased all the science books. We did not really do them. I did set them out and my daughter would read them on her own! States and Capitals. I think we have a whopping 12 memorized! I still consider the vast amount of books we faithfully read together a great success though!

Cursive
    We enjoyed NAC2, until the second semester when it started turning into more journaling. I wish I had seen Colomama's suggestion about dictating them. We did most of the assignments, but did not finish the book. This summer I plan to finish the Cursive Copybook and call that done as well!

We have started the summer phonics plans and I am so glad we are! My daughter thinks the spelling is "so easy, why am I doing something so easy"? The Phonics 4, on the other hand is maybe a little more challenging than I would have preferred for a "summer" course, but I'm glad we are doing it! She's reading "On the Trail" and "Sounds of the Sea" on her own, as scheduled.

Overall, I'm so pleased with how SC3 turned out. The writing was very challenging, but once we figured out how to make it work, it has really helped her writing. (Of the Bible and History writing, Bible was completed and History, about 20 of the 34 weeks were completed)

Thank you Cheryl for writing such a wonderful program!
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Re: SC3 in the books! *shew*

Congratulations, Christine. You and your daughter are to be commended!

Thanks for the feedback. As usual, this will strengthen the program for those who come after you.

I am especially impressed that she persevered through all of SC Writing, Bible. (Loved her color drawings and sentences on MP SC Families FB.)

As you reflect back on the heroes and trailblazers from her history lessons, you can tell your daughter she is an SC pioneer!

Comment

It sounds like you accomplished a ton! Well more than in the lesson plans! I wish I had listened to you to do SC instead of MPK way back when, but that is done now. How did you do all of math 2 in one year? I have been incredibly happy with Math U See, and would prefer to do it, but it seems like it is easier to follow the plans. Clara has a specific learning disability in math, so I do not want to push her to the point she backs out. Did you follow the SC math plans? Did you combine years 3 and 4 of the math plans? We ran into a stumbling block in MUS, and are now almost done with Life of Fred Apples, and getting ready to start Butterflies. I thought that they would help get us back on track fro MUS, but then decided I should just follow Cheryl's plans as written. I am still not sure that is right since Clara wants to be a veterinarian and is going to need to get through Pre-Calculus, at least, in high school. I would love your opinion.
      JeJe Greer
      Mom to:
      Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
      Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

Originally posted by jejegreer View Post
        It sounds like you accomplished a ton! Well more than in the lesson plans! I wish I had listened to you to do SC instead of MPK way back when, but that is done now. How did you do all of math 2 in one year? I have been incredibly happy with Math U See, and would prefer to do it, but it seems like it is easier to follow the plans. Clara has a specific learning disability in math, so I do not want to push her to the point she backs out. Did you follow the SC math plans? Did you combine years 3 and 4 of the math plans? We ran into a stumbling block in MUS, and are now almost done with Life of Fred Apples, and getting ready to start Butterflies. I thought that they would help get us back on track fro MUS, but then decided I should just follow Cheryl's plans as written. I am still not sure that is right since Clara wants to be a veterinarian and is going to need to get through Pre-Calculus, at least, in high school. I would love your opinion.
        Book 1 is all review of the 1-10 facts. So, we used it over the summer. (I had heard that at HLS they send it home with the 1st graders to complete over the summer). That knocks out one book right away. I noticed that MP is now scheduling the Speed Drills from book 1 in the 2nd grade now also, and I think this is a great idea. (Cheryl is this something to consider adding to SC3?)

What areas is Clara struggling with in math? How far did she get in Math-U-See, and where did you find a "road block". I know you want to do what is best for her, but rushing through, trying to make a goal of "pre-calculus" in high school could stress you both out. She needs to move at her pace.

R&S is 170 lessons, so by moving the first book to summer, it reduced the number. I will say that I thought R&S was "missing" stuff, but as soon as I turned to the black lines I found what I thought was missing! Clara will need very direct, repetitious instruction. You can make or buy the manipulatives (base 10 blocks, or since you have the math u see blocks, use them with R&S!).

I made the bee poster (which contain the numbers 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 in a blossom and all the facts that add up to them). I used velcro dots so the bees (the wings have the number 9, 2 for example on them) could be sorted on the different flower posters.
        Christine

(2019/2020)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
        DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
        DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Working...
        X