Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

States and Capitals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

States and Capitals

We are finally up to the states and capitals weeks. It says in the assignments to see the teacher's notes in the Enrichment book. I have looked through them several times and can't find any reference to states and capitals. It doesn't seem to be in the history section and there isn't a section just for it. It doesn't show up in the specific week's Enrichment. I am sure I am missing it somewhere, but not sure where.
    Miah - married to Warcabbage, 3 boys, BS in social work, AS in Electrical Engineering Technology

Evulcarrot - 18, freshman in college, Medical Technology , mild autism
    Battlebroccoli - 17, lives with grandma, attends a special high school program part time
    Doomsprout - 10, highly verbal moderate autism, anxiety, motor delays, sensory processing issues - SC 4 with R&S 4

Re: States and Capitals

Hi, Miah. We begin those Week 18 after laying the foundation chronologically. Do you have the Curriculum Manual for SC 3? Everything is listed in order of statehood in the Enrichment section beginning A.D. 1787, Week 18. This is also the week we begin using the US Map with stickers.

Comment

Originally posted by Miah View Post
      We are finally up to the states and capitals weeks. It says in the assignments to see the teacher's notes in the Enrichment book. I have looked through them several times and can't find any reference to states and capitals. It doesn't seem to be in the history section and there isn't a section just for it. It doesn't show up in the specific week's Enrichment. I am sure I am missing it somewhere, but not sure where.
      There are teacher's notes in the curriculum guide, under enrichment. This was changed and added in the fall. Did you receive a new SC3 curriculum guide?
      Christine

(2018-2019)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
      DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

I'm honestly not sure this is in my book either, maybe I have that older copy?

I just pulled the first three states out and put them on a keyring. We work on memorizing those three and then add three more when they've been mastered. We're working in chronological order. My son is on Illinois, #19?. When he's mastered the newly added three, he puts the state stickers on. Should we be doing more? Or something different?
        Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
        DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
        DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

On week 18 on Monday it says "Learn in order of statehood. Teach with flashcards and Map of the United States Sticker Picture Book. - 1787" Then lists Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.

Then on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday it says "Review each day with your flashcards and Map of the United States Picture Book. See suggestions in your Teacher Notes for Enrichment."

I can't find anything in the teacher notes that references states and capitals. Extensive notes on the history readers, art, music, poetry, nature study, and a small bit about making a timeline, but no mention I've found on States.

I've showed him the flashcards and map book, and reviewed them, but I thought there would be activity suggestions or assignments to complete or something more than what is in Curriculum Manual.
          Miah - married to Warcabbage, 3 boys, BS in social work, AS in Electrical Engineering Technology

Battlebroccoli - 17, lives with grandma, attends a special high school program part time
          Doomsprout - 10, highly verbal moderate autism, anxiety, motor delays, sensory processing issues - SC 4 with R&S 4

Comment

Then you have everything! In SC 3, students can learn the placement on the map, the name of the state, and its capital. This will accumulate quickly, so this is plenty in SC 3. If desired, you could also teach the order of statehood.

You will do more with states in SC 4, but the above is all that is expected in SC 3. The Enrichment references include any additional info about the state(s) mentioned in the coordinating stories, overviews, or biographies.

If, as in your case Miah, you are homeschooling only one child, you might have time to expand this study into a States notebook.

Activity idea:
            Create a single sheet for each state with name, capital, date admitted to the union, state bird, state flower, state tree. File these in a three-ring binder in alphabetical order or in the order studied.

You could expand this to include a map outline of each state, a bio of a famous person from each state, etc., or you could begin with the simple info above, learn states & capitals this year, and add to your notebook next year when you learn "fun facts" above each state.

The main point is not to worry about doing too little. For some SC students, this will be the first time ever hearing or learning the names of all 50 states and capitals, so we spend an introductory year on them.

I'm sorry for the confusion! I hope that helps --

Comment

Originally posted by Miah View Post
              On week 18 on Monday it says "Learn in order of statehood. Teach with flashcards and Map of the United States Sticker Picture Book. - 1787" Then lists Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.

Then on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday it says "Review each day with your flashcards and Map of the United States Picture Book. See suggestions in your Teacher Notes for Enrichment."

I can't find anything in the teacher notes that references states and capitals. Extensive notes on the history readers, art, music, poetry, nature study, and a small bit about making a timeline, but no mention I've found on States.

I've showed him the flashcards and map book, and reviewed them, but I thought there would be activity suggestions or assignments to complete or something more than what is in Curriculum Manual.
              It is on page 20-21 of the updated curriculum guide. (Cheryl posted on the forum, maybe in October? to say the guide had been updated and to e-mail MP for an updated one.) The first half suggests everything you are doing! The second half list 3 games: pass the ball, as you name the states and capitals; matching/memory/relay races by having the student write the state on one card and the capital on the other; hang a map on the wall, point to the states that student has learned, student stands and recites those states and capitals as you point.
              Christine

(2018-2019)
              DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
              DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
              DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
              DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
              DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Howiecam, I was looking in the yellow Enrichment book instead of the front of the curriculum guide! I knew the way it was worded there had to be something else written somewhere. I did get the updated guide, but managed to get them shuffled together, and then couldn't tell which was new. I will check pages 20 and 21 to see if I picked the right one.

Sorry for the confusion, and thank you Cheryl for the ideas with for expansion with one child.

Comment

May I add that at www.crayola.com you can download free state coloring pages to make a State notebook.
                  The Homeschool Grads:
                  J- 6/96
                  S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
                  G- 4/04
                  D- 5/05
                  F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
                  M- 9/16

Comment

I never knew he guide was changed. Is it too late to get a new one? I purchased mine last year but I didn’t have a lot of time in the forum so I missed this!

I am using this one again this year but in its entirety.
                    Last edited by empokorski; 07-28-2018, 06:52 AM. Reason: Adding another comment

Comment

Originally posted by empokorski View Post
                      I never knew he guide was changed. Is it too late to get a new one? I purchased mine last year but I didn’t have a lot of time in the forum so I missed this!

I am using this one again this year but in its entirety.
                      Just to clarify, it was the Curriculum Manual, not the States & Capitals guides, that was updated in October of 2017 as Christine noted. If you ordered after that, your CM is already updated If before, just email sales@memoriapress.com for the replacement.

HTH!
                      Michael
                      Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
                      X