Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Needing Inspiration!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needing Inspiration!

I am looking for some inspiration. Here are some of the things I am looking for:

How do you schedule your days and help your kids to know the routines? Do they have written checklists? Do you post a single schedule for the day for everyone to follow?

How do you keep your classroom so it is not a distraction and everyone can help clean up afterwards? I'm posting a pic of ours down at the bottom. Keep in mind, I did pick it up since this picture was taken so there is not a garbage can tipped over and the floor is picked up better. My desk in the corner is now usable. However, just feeling bit cluttered and sick of kiddos telling me they don't know where stuff goes...although, sometimes even I don't know where it goes. Trying to find a place!

My youngest is just 5 and does a little bit of school but would much rather just run around all day. He is a challenge as he thinks he can do "whatever he wants"...oh boy.

How do you keep kids busy while working with others? Do they stay in the same room or have some free range?

Thanks for any tips!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	104746Click image for larger version

Name:	School Room 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	104747

Re: Needing Inspiration!

Originally posted by empokorski View Post

How do you keep your classroom so it is not a distraction and everyone can help clean up afterwards? I'm posting a pic of ours down at the bottom. Keep in mind, I did pick it up since this picture was taken so there is not a garbage can tipped over and the floor is picked up better. My desk in the corner is now usable. However, just feeling bit cluttered and sick of kiddos telling me they don't know where stuff goes...although, sometimes even I don't know where it goes. Trying to find a place!

My youngest is just 5 and does a little bit of school but would much rather just run around all day. He is a challenge as he thinks he can do "whatever he wants"...oh boy.

How do you keep kids busy while working with others? Do they stay in the same room or have some free range?
    ]
    Definitely keep everyone in the same room — constructive activities that are only available during school time can go a long way (think puzzles, lacing cards, a sketchbook, etc)

For the organization side of things, here are some thoughts:

Distractions: I would take the drawings, posters, etc that are above/around the kids’ desks and hang them on the large wall where the calendar is. Then, let each child choose an art card or poster from one of MP’s Enrichment sets to hang above their desk (just pull out any that are abstract or of non-peaceful scenes first; you want them choosing from peaceful works).

School books: I would take out the tall bookcase between the two student desks and replace it with a small table (raid other parts of your house if possible for that). On each end of that table, you can put a bin that holds one students’ books. One bin for the student on the left and one bin for the student who sits on the right. This way, they can easily reach in to get what they need and put it back before grabbing the next thing — all without leaving their desk or having to fight books that are falling over on shelves. “Path of least resistance” is the key at this stage. Make sure that the bins are hard, not the soft-sided ones, and that the sides are tall enough to hold the books up well but not so high that the child can’t see/take things in and out while seated.

White cubbies: use these for past/future teacher manuals and read-alouds

Other student desk: use the same bin idea for this student. Maybe place it on the floor next to the desk?

Mom’s desk: keep your current teacher manuals here so it’s easy to grab them when grading. A cute tin can hide push pins, tape, a mini stapler, etc. You may also want to keep your youngest child’s book bin here so you can keep it’s contents safe but easily pick it up and take it to the table when it’s time for their lessons.

Remove: board games, anything not related to school, anything you haven’t used in your school this past school year, anything that will be replaced by your switch to MP. Place it in a box for now and put it in the garage or basement.

Art supplies: give each child a box to keep inside their desk that holds a pen, some regular pencils, colored pencils and safety scissors. Also give each of them a bound sketchbook for drawing. This will cut down on paper clutter (it was a lifesaver for us!). Eventually they’ll be able to gather supplies from a common place and work together to keep that place neat, but it doesn’t look like they’re there yet (mine aren’t either!)

Other books: you could keep free-reading books for the older kids on the small white bookshelf, with the idea that it will be a training opportunity for them in restoring things neatly to a shelf, but I would put a book basket on the table to hold picture books for younger ones.

HTH!
    Jennifer

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Comment

I can’t see how to attach a photo...Trying to find words to describe what we use (and I find helpful)...2 x sets of 10 drawers that I bought from an office supplies shop. They’re bright coloured and plastic on a chrome stand and we have labelled with each subject name. We sometimes get everything out for the day but generally we run off the curriculum guide and get a subject out at a time.

We generally do as Jen suggested and get scrapbooks for each child to draw in. I don’t have them right now and the paper mess is so much more! I wait till I see some on special and buy a stack of them (literally! My oldest is prolific!). I hate filtering the ‘precious’ artworks and still feel a little guilty throwing them in the bin...scrapbooks limit my throwing them out pain...lots of drawings, one bin throw...
      Sarah

Aussies from Sydney, Australia
      Miriam 9yo Latina Christiana, Greek Myths, Poppers Penguins, Christian Studies 1, R+S 4 (also IEW Phonetic Zoo, IEW Poetry Memorisation, HWT Cursive)
      Jonny 6.5yo (Special Needs) SC Level 1
      Elissa 3.5yo SC Level B (for preschool)
      Thomas 12 months

Comment

Originally posted by empokorski View Post
        I am looking for some inspiration. Here are some of the things I am looking for:

How do you schedule your days and help your kids to know the routines? Do they have written checklists? Do you post a single schedule for the day for everyone to follow?

Thanks for any tips!
        Ok, so I had to laugh at the garbage can tipped over. Because that is my life.

When I am on my A game, we have meals planned out, activities planned out for the littles, and everything in its place.

Let's be honest. I operate in C game status most of the time, but I have a goal to have my act together for the fall.

One thing I'm focusing on is getting rid of things I don't need. If it's not going to be used in the school year, it's going on a shelf. If we're not going to use it ever again, it's getting sold or donated.
        Plans for 2019-20
        DD #1 : 24, heading to Chase Law School NKU Fall 2019
        DD #2 : 13 8A: HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
        DS #3 : 11 4A + Simply Classical 5/6; HLS Cottage School Louisville
        DS #4 : 11 4A + Simply Classical 5/6; HLS Cottage School Louisville
        DD #5: 7, MP 2 at home, HLS Cottage School Louisville
        DS #6: 5, MP K at home

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

A couple things that have helped me:
          -magazine holders for the big square shelves. They keep books divided. I have one for each kids consumable books. I have three for my teacher manuals and stuff I use everyday.
          -small plastic containers to hold little games and activities for my youngest child -- pegs, lacing boards, teddy bear counters, etc.
          -I have a metal cart on wheels that I keep next to our school table - it holds all my teacher manuals, all our flash cards, basically everything I need to have on hand.

If your youngest is really distracting you might consider letting him and one other sibling play out of the room at a time. My older two have a really hard time doing reading/math with anyone else in the room, so they each usually play with my youngest while I work. I wish I had developed a habit of having them all in the same room, I think that would have been very helpful in retrospect.
          Susan

2018-2019
          A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
          C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
          G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Working...
          X