Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Sc c

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sc c

Hello.
    We will be brand new to this starting in the fall. My little one will be 6 in the fall and has ADHD, global developmental delay, expressive/receptive speech delay, and sensory issues. We are (maybe were) planning to start with SC C. My little one was having trouble learning the alphabet and this seemed like the perfect starting point. In the past 3 weeks things clicked for him and he will likely know the whole alphabet in just another few weeks. Sounds and all. He has a good deal of trouble imitating and copying letters and shapes. I’m wondering if we should stick with SC C or try something else?
    Thanks.

Re: Sc c

Based on his diagnoses, I would stay with SC C.

There is a big difference between knowing letters/sounds and being ready to work with those letters/sounds in reading, spelling, and writing, such as hearing the subtle difference between short vowel sounds between two consonants. In SC C you will give him extensive lessons in ear training that will prepare him to read by the time he reaches the second semester of SC C.

Your fine-motor concerns will be addressed in SC C. Rather than assume he is ready to print his letters, we work with letter shapes through child-friendly aids such as Wikki sticks. When he writes or colors, the font is large and the lessons are brief.

It is wonderful that he has learned his letters and sounds! Because of this, he will be in a position to make great gains through SC C, but it does not mean he is ready for SC 1. Instead, he will benefit from everything we include in SC C: ear training, fine-motor work, and especially language.

Because of his unexpected head start, you may be able to omit the 8-week extension included at the end of your SC C lessons and proceed directly to SC 1 after he completes SC C. But I would stay the course with SC C to save both of you time and frustration in the end.

Does that make sense?

Comment

Did you do the Simply Classical C Readiness Assessment? How did your child do?

I think either level B or C would be a great fit for your child, just depends on their Readiness Assessment results.
      Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
      DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
      DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

Thanks so much. This makes so much sense. I did do the readiness assessment and he was right at 75% for level C. I think I got a bit excited that he’s finally doing well. Thanks for the advice. He’s my oldest and this will be our first official year of school. It’s nice to have help.

Comment

Originally posted by Purcellski View Post
          Thanks so much. This makes so much sense. I did do the readiness assessment and he was right at 75% for level C. I think I got a bit excited that he’s finally doing well. Thanks for the advice. He’s my oldest and this will be our first official year of school. It’s nice to have help.
          SC-C is probably my favorite level! <3 (I love them all, of course) I don't think you will be disappointed! He will start reading soon enough. Do not forget that sometimes just the rhythm of doing school, ordering is day and mind is plenty of learning. It does not all have to challenging all the time! Also, there are some challenging things in the "science" part, that I think you will both enjoy.
          Christine

(2018-2019)
          DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
          DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
          DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
          DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
          DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Thank you howiecram.
            Like I said, this will be our first year officially doing school. We’ve been winging it so far, which I like, but it didn’t seem to be working for my kiddos. I added the slightest bit of structure to the day at the beginning of April and my 5 year old actually began learning a few things, and his little brother (age 2) has picked up a good deal too.
            I had no intention of doing a classical christian curriculum. I was sure I wanted something child led and extremely informal. The problem was, it wasn’t working for my son. I started working with my son at a regular time everyday, out of a very simple, plain workbook, and so many of the things I couldn’t get to stick started sticking.
            I went to a homeschooling conference in April, now unsure of what sort of curriculum I was looking for. I knew what I wanted to do, but I was starting to get a sense of what would work better for my son. Someone there suggested I look into Simply Classical. I did and it seemed perfect for him. On barely more than a whim I ordered SC-C. (I know, not the best way to choose curriculum). I got home and started reading about classical education. I finished Cheryl’s book, Simply Classical, and could not be more pleased or excited about the upcoming year. This makes so much more sense with what I believe scripture says about children, and their need for direction. I have a degree in social science education, and I did not realize how much I’d bought into some newer thinking about children and education.
            I have now ordered the entire day for my kids. Behavior is better, and they are both learning so much. I’m slowly ordering my own mind again, and can see how ordering the minds of my children is going to benefit them as well. Thank you Cheryl, for writing Simply Classical. It’s been a game-changer already and we haven’t even officially started schooling. I’m so excited to see what my boys are capable of, and what other surprises are in store for us. Thank you!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Purcellski View Post
              Thank you howiecram.
              Like I said, this will be our first year officially doing school. We’ve been winging it so far, which I like, but it didn’t seem to be working for my kiddos. I added the slightest bit of structure to the day at the beginning of April and my 5 year old actually began learning a few things, and his little brother (age 2) has picked up a good deal too.
              I had no intention of doing a classical christian curriculum. I was sure I wanted something child led and extremely informal. The problem was, it wasn’t working for my son. I started working with my son at a regular time everyday, out of a very simple, plain workbook, and so many of the things I couldn’t get to stick started sticking.
              I went to a homeschooling conference in April, now unsure of what sort of curriculum I was looking for. I knew what I wanted to do, but I was starting to get a sense of what would work better for my son. Someone there suggested I look into Simply Classical. I did and it seemed perfect for him. On barely more than a whim I ordered SC-C. (I know, not the best way to choose curriculum). I got home and started reading about classical education. I finished Cheryl’s book, Simply Classical, and could not be more pleased or excited about the upcoming year. This makes so much more sense with what I believe scripture says about children, and their need for direction. I have a degree in social science education, and I did not realize how much I’d bought into some newer thinking about children and education.
              I have now ordered the entire day for my kids. Behavior is better, and they are both learning so much. I’m slowly ordering my own mind again, and can see how ordering the minds of my children is going to benefit them as well. Thank you Cheryl, for writing Simply Classical. It’s been a game-changer already and we haven’t even officially started schooling. I’m so excited to see what my boys are capable of, and what other surprises are in store for us. Thank you!!!
              *raising hand* Yes, our first year was "montessori". I still actually believe, with the correct training, Montessori can and does work. However, at home, it is very difficult to achieve for many reasons. We too, achieved much more success with an ordered curriculum. In reality, it relieves the stress on me, which allows things to continue daily, even during "rough seas". I still have many of the math materials and they just get used along side the curriculum. Again, I think you will be really pleased with SC-C for your first year with an "ordered" curriculum! (I wish I would have known about it when we started with my oldest!) Welcome!
              Christine

(2018-2019)
              DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
              DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
              DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
              DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
              DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Working...
              X