Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Placement Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Placement Help

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    Thank you, Colomama. The science & enrichment set is now on the SC 3 page, where it belongs!
    A few questions:

1.) I am attaching a photo of a spontaneous unprompted piece of written work that my dyslexic son, age 10, did just a couple of weeks ago. It is a cute story about his brother and he wrote this after we went "mushroom hunting". My question is, do I go with SC Writing Book 2 (American History one)? Or try the All Things Fun and Fascinating? He is currently with a Barton tutor and she is a friend of mine, but she has some opinions that I'm not sure I agree with. She is moving him along in Barton because his reading is moving along. However, he still struggles with spelling and she basically told me to just teach him typing because now we have such things as "spell check" so it's not a battle that is worth fighting. I tend to disagree. I want my son to be able to write down notes for himself or others on a whim and not feel awkward because he can't spell. Any thoughts?

2.) Is the spelling list of words based on known phonograms and rules or is it sight words or a combination? I can't see what they would learn to spell so I'm trying to make sure I get the right level.

3.) I have a rising Kindergartner. Is it worth doing the MPK enrichment for him or just stick with the core subjects and let him follow along as he feels with the other kids in the SC3 enrichment?

Trying to calculate cost and get things ordered. This will be, by far, the most I have ever spent on homeschooling materials, but I keep telling myself there are pieces that are reusable. Thanks for all the help!
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by empokorski View Post
      A few questions:

1.) I am attaching a photo of a spontaneous unprompted piece of written work that my dyslexic son, age 10, did just a couple of weeks ago. It is a cute story about his brother and he wrote this after we went "mushroom hunting". My question is, do I go with SC Writing Book 2 (American History one)? Or try the All Things Fun and Fascinating? He is currently with a Barton tutor and she is a friend of mine, but she has some opinions that I'm not sure I agree with. She is moving him along in Barton because his reading is moving along. However, he still struggles with spelling and she basically told me to just teach him typing because now we have such things as "spell check" so it's not a battle that is worth fighting. I tend to disagree. I want my son to be able to write down notes for himself or others on a whim and not feel awkward because he can't spell. Any thoughts?
      I think his story is super sweet! <3 I don't have advice re: ATFF --it will be the first time we will be going through it.

Re: your Barton tutor. This is one of my frustrations I've had with folks in the dyslexia world. When I was watching Susan Barton's informational videos, learning about dyslexia, etc, it seems like 'they' jump to modifications pretty quickly. Like you, I disagree with her assessment about spell check/typing, etc. I want to strengthen the areas in which they are weak, not simply give them a pass. I hope that doesn't sound harsh.

Another piece stood out to me -- 'She is moving him along in Barton because his reading is moving along. However, he still struggles with spelling......'

Now, I've only made it through two Barton levels before I bailed. We are picking it back up this summer, because our psychologist wanted him to go further in the program to fill in gaps. I'm OK with that. My question -- Barton is a reading and spelling program. If he's not doing well with the spelling portion of the level he's in, then why is she progressing him through? I would think she'd want to stop and re-teach the areas in which he's having issues. If he can read the words, fine. Let him work on fluency, while she re-teaches the spelling. This confuses me, but I'm not a Barton expert.

Another idea -- could you do his Barton tutoring yourself? Susan Barton is very supportive, there are forums, videos of model lessons, etc.

Re- enrichment -- with multiple children, we always say pick ONE enrichment and stick with it for everyone. For example -- next year's enrichment for us will be based on the MP1 enrichment, because I have a rising 1st grader. My older kids have fun with the read alouds, and they enjoy the review of artists and music with whom they are familiar.
      Plans for 2019-20
      DD #1 : 24, heading to Chase Law School NKU Fall 2019
      DD #2 : 13 8A: HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
      DS #3 : 11 4A + Simply Classical 5/6; HLS Cottage School Louisville
      DS #4 : 11 4A + Simply Classical 5/6; HLS Cottage School Louisville
      DD #5: 7, MP 2 at home, HLS Cottage School Louisville
      DS #6: 5, MP K at home

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Hi, Erika. Agreeing with everyone --

Enrichment
        Combine all into SC 3 Enrichment. You will have American history, biographies, science, art, music all in one.

Writing
        For your oldest, choose SC Writing Book Two, American history. I say this not to imply that it is "better" in any way than ATFF, but because your primary goal is streamlining your homeschool to improve behavior and accomplishment. SC Writing is based on the very books you will be using in American history, so this will improve your son's comprehension of those books. Think "integration of studies" for him, rather than having so many unrelated, moving parts. We do this for you in SC 3 Enrichment and SC 3 Writing. Based on the mushroom writing sample, he can handle SC Writing Book Two, but he will be sufficiently challenged by it! We want everything to be doable for both you and your children.

Spelling
        Because of his age (entering teen years), I appreciate and agree with her suggestion to begin teaching typing. This might make a nice, daily summer project. I agree with you, however, that this does not negate the importance of teaching spelling, composition, grammar, penmanship, etc. Perhaps she was just trying to make things easier on you -- or on him. If you are willing to teach spelling, teach spelling! Spelling can help his overall word awareness and more. SC Spelling Book Two, included in SC 3, covers phonemic patterns through the Key Words and Word Study. It also covers more common words than most spelling programs in "Words to Know," because many of our students, like your son, are older. We want to assist the student's independent writing by giving him better spelling of those common words.

I think that is all, but if we missed anything, let us know.

Comment

I received some new information last week and I wanted to share it with you to make sure you didn't have any further recommendations or changes. As a refresher:

DS (13 this Sat!!!) - More sever special needs with Autism, ADHD, Cognitive, SPD, Expressive/Receptive Language Disorder

- SC3 (He will "redo" NAC2, but everything else will be new to him. I will be dropping AAR and combining him with his sister for FSR Book E) He can actually read small chapter books pretty well, but comprehension and writing are two areas of weakness, so I'm trying to decide if he should bump up or not.

DD (8 in Sep) - MP1 without the Enrichment piece. Just the core items.

DS (5) - MPK without Enrichment as he will just join in on the big kids? Only thing I was wondering was that maybe there might be some fun things we would miss?

DS (10) - Here is my "wild card child". I struggle with this one because I think due to his reactions to frustration and "shut downs", he can be hard to work with. He can do so much, but just can't handle his own frustration if things aren't perfect. I'm trying really hard to work him through that. He has dyslexia and has been with a Barton Tutor for 2 years now. My original plan was to keep it that way. However, he just did his yearly "test" and he tested at a 5th grade level which is actually a wonderful accomplishment, but it also means that tutoring is done. This particular place stops the tutoring as soon as the kids reach grade level. I think they do that because it is a free service and tutoring is done by community volunteers. So, now I need to fill in the spelling and such for him as well. Keep in mind, to me this means he can "decode" 5th grade level words, but not necessarily reading fluently at that level. He has read most of the Landmark books such as "Meet Abraham Lincoln." He is now reading a series called "Dinosaur Cove." I am trying to help him build fluency through these easy chapter books so he can move on to the bigger chapter books that would probably appeal to him more. I am curious how often you would recommend these kiddos read out loud to me? I get push-back in this area, but I still feel it is important.

Secondly, I did an at-home standardized test (Stanford Test through HTS). It took us a few weeks to work our way through it, but I made him do most of it on his own. I helped read portions of it when he wasn't being tested for his ability to read. For Reading Comprehension, I made him read it and only helped him with a few of the words here and there if he couldn't figure them out. So, that score is basically all him. For Math, we are just starting multiplication, so he hasn't done a whole lot of it yet and not any division. I wasn't surprised to see a little bit of issues there. Overall, his biggest deficits were in spelling and writing. So, it basically confirmed what I already knew and those are the things I want to target. I am attaching his test results here for you to see:

https://p.widencdn.net/ion5a2/Pokorski-Ant-4-1000847901

I was pleasantly surprised! I was so worried going into this test. I tried to prepare myself to really embrace whatever results I was going to get. It made me feel like I knew what we needed to work on and this confirmed that for me. So, now I'm looking at options:

SC3 as written (he would be repeating NAC2 as we did this last year, but only made it through half the book)
          OR
          MP2 Lit & spelling w/ MP3 English Grammar Recitation and All Things Fun and Fascinating (he did a harder IEW unit based writing course with me last year so he is somewhat familiar with the flow and how the units work.)

Maybe it doesn't make sense to break things up like that. Unsure. I have similar concerns to another poster in that I am worried it will be too easy for him. Cheryl's post about streamlining is correct, but I also feel like by putting him with my eldest who has far greater challenges that I may be setting the bar too low for my second son (10).

The other questions I had were as follows:

SC3 Writing History vs. Bible - do they cover the same things as far as grammar and such?

Thanks for all your help with this! I had wanted to have my things ordered and in house already, but maybe God knew I was going to have something else to think about. Thanks!

Comment

Erika, this is exciting. Good for you and for your 10yo!

I would still keep him in SC 3, but with your new information require more from him. For example, he might be the designated oral reader for the more challenging American history books. Your 13yo could follow alongside, read aloud lesser amounts, or reread passages your 10yo has read. This might occur when you are searching for a comprehension answer to SC Writing. (And yes, SC Writing covers the same grammar & composition in American History as in Bible, and vice versa.) Then your 13yo could be the designated reader for the Story Bible. This would allow both the necessary oral reading practice, but your 10yo would, by far, have the more challenging assignments each week, both in content and length.

Do NOT order a separate core for your 10yo this year. SC 3, like so many SC levels, built in the "asynchronicity" you need. Those American history readers are challenging and long! Many SC 3 users teach those as read-alouds, but your 10yo can use these as his readers from Week 1.

As for your little one, you can add a crafts book or a scissors book or a read-aloud set, if you want. Just make it an enjoyable add-on, no pressure.

You "sound" good. We are eager to see you succeed!

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
              Erika, this is exciting. Good for you and for your 10yo!

I would still keep him in SC 3, but with your new information require more from him. For example, he might be the designated oral reader for the more challenging American history books. Your 13yo could follow alongside, read aloud lesser amounts, or reread passages your 10yo has read. This might occur when you are searching for a comprehension answer to SC Writing. (And yes, SC Writing covers the same grammar & composition in American History as in Bible, and vice versa.) Then your 13yo could be the designated reader for the Story Bible. This would allow both the necessary oral reading practice, but your 10yo would, by far, have the more challenging assignments each week, both in content and length.

Do NOT order a separate core for your 10yo this year. SC 3, like so many SC levels, built in the "asynchronicity" you need. Those American history readers are challenging and long! Many SC 3 users teach those as read-alouds, but your 10yo can use these as his readers from Week 1.

As for your little one, you can add a crafts book or a scissors book or a read-aloud set, if you want. Just make it an enjoyable add-on, no pressure.

You "sound" good. We are eager to see you succeed!
              Cheryl:

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of him reading aloud to all of us. I think we will start the readers a week ahead per what I had seen comment-wise on the forum before. So, my next question is about spelling. Anthony had a considerable amount of spelling work done with the Barton levels and did many sight words. I am wondering if I give him the "Pre-Test" from SC spelling 2 to see how he does. If he does it really well, should I lump him in with his sister as she will be doing the traditional spelling level 1 this year. Just curious.

This will be a challenging year for me as I will be adding a fourth student and I'm not sure yet how to split up my time effectively. I'm hoping we will find our groove within the first few weeks. Also, we are embarking on a new Dr for my eldest son. We tried a new med (Straterra) and it made him feel a bit sick to his stomach. So, now we have tried all kinds of ADD meds and some give a bit of help, but all have impacted his weight. He lost 1.5lbs. I am terribly worried about him as he is back under 55lbs and he will be 13 in two days. He should be almost double what he is now. We are going to a holistic Dr and she has asked us to request testing for all kinds of things: celiac, metabolic, stool/urine, certain vitamins, etc... I am worried that this will tailspin into many visits and tests to figure out what we can do. Maybe not, but it is on my mind. He is entering the teen years so I am sure we are dealing with puberty and I just feel like he "shout talks" and talks back and uses the words "I accidentally... or It was an accident..." a lot and we are struggling to maintain good boundaries with him touching his little brother. Its like a compulsion for him. I am not sure who to go to about all this. Do we need counseling as a family or for my eldest or for my kids? Or a CBT? We are not in a big city so options are limited unless we drive a ways. Just feel a bit lost with where to go for some help.

So, while I am looking forward to this coming year, I am also nervous about some things and trying to figure this all out.
              Thanks for all the support and help!

Comment

It sounds like the medical advice should be followed first, given the low weight of your son and the medical concerns expressed by your in-person professional. You can be firm about requesting two things:
                1. As many tests as possible to be conducted at once.
                Example: all blood work from a single blood draw. Find out ahead whether he needs to be fasting (usually 12 hrs) and do this all at one time, so you do not need multiple trips and so they can address immediately whatever they find. Get all orders sent to a single location and try to do everything swiftly.
                2. Any new medication trial(s) with medications that add, rather, than subtract, weight. Different classes do different things, so you can remind them of this very serious concern any time anyone prescribes.

In the meantime, boost his calories in whatever ways they are recommending. Sometimes they recommend Pediasure with full-fat ice cream shakes, increased proteins or increased "good fats" (nuts, olive oil, fish oil) which help brain function too. This may not only help his weight but also his mind and, by extension, his behavior. All of this is top priority in the medical realm for him according to your medical team there, so do not fret about it but simply take action.

Regarding spelling, yes, this is a good plan. If he works well with your daughter, you might teach TS 1 with him no matter what. It is thorough, systematic, and very good. If, however, he would be a grave detriment to her learning, SC Writing Two might work well as a quick, effective study for him this year.

Regarding your planning, you might highlight the no-matter-what areas to teach in each planner. Begin with these. Combine for others or defer the others to Fridays. "First things first," not perfection, is the goal. You might plan as you did when you led a class. You did well. Think in these same terms for your homeschool, and just begin on your start date. Determine to persevere through the good days and bad. Refuse to be derailed.
                Last edited by cherylswope; 07-20-2018, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Super dense calorie shake

I used to do home health and had a client who wouldn't eat much of anything, some days a single shake not much more in volume than a can of meal replacement was all we could get into the client. If you do have to go the route of a dense calorie shake, this is the recipe I made for the client. It has over 1100 calories. The info may be out of date, but it was shocking at the time how a few simple changes and checking the calories of competing brands could make a huge difference.

1. I used French vanilla ice cream instead of plain. French vanilla has more calories.

2. The Kroger brand of nutrient shake had the same micronutrients, but more fat, so significantly more calories.

3. Then I added a packet of Carnation Instant Breakfast, malted chocolate milk flavor (the only one the client would take).

Hope that helps.
                  Miah - married to Warcabbage, 3 boys, BS in social work, AS in Electrical Engineering Technology

Evulcarrot - 18, freshman in college, Medical Technology , mild autism
                  Battlebroccoli - 17, lives with grandma, attends a special high school program part time
                  Doomsprout - 10, highly verbal moderate autism, anxiety, motor delays, sensory processing issues - SC 4 with R&S 4

Comment

Working...
                  X