Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Placement Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placement Help

I am looking to switch over to Memoria Press. However, I am struggling with placement for my kids. Any advice would be fantastic!

This year we did Classical Conversations so the kids memorized the US States and Capitols and many other things including English Grammar, Timeline, History facts, Latin (John 1:1-7), Science facts and Math facts.

Here are some individualized things:

DS (5) - right now I am just doing a quick AM routine with him that utilizes the calendar for number recognition, AAR Pre-Reading to cover letters and their sounds. Sometimes I will throw in an additional activity or so. I’m thinking MPK for next year as he doesn’t seem to have any issues with what we’ve been doing.

DD (7) She is currently in AAR Level 2. She has completed CVC, initial blends, final blends, she understands open and closed syllables and how it changes the vowel to a long sound when open, silent E makes the vowel before it say its name. Some sight words.
    AAS Level 1 - She has done CVC, initial blends, final blends, c says /s/ before e, i or y, now she is working on the Floss Rule (doubling f, l, and s at the end of one syllable words with a single vowel).
    MathUSee - Alpha - working in mastering single digit addition and subtraction, skip counting 2, 5 and 10, Reading a clock.
    Copywork - We have done a variety of things copied into a composition notebook. I write and she copies....Bible verses, poems, Quotes and right now we are copying from Whinnie the Pooh.
    NAC1 - working our way through this book.

DS (10 - Dyslexic?) Barton Reading and Spelling with a tutor. Making progress as he is now starting to be able to read simple chapter books like Magic Tree House of the Landmark simple chapter books like “Meet George Washington”. Spelling is still a bigger struggle. I’m not sure what to do about that. I’ve been looking into Sequential Spelling, MP Spelling. Also looking into an APD test as he doesn’t hear things quite properly. He will write what he hears and some of he sounds are off. I have to be very careful how I pronounce things.
    MathUSee - just finishing up Beta so he has mastered multiple digit addition and subtraction with regrouping, place value into the hundreds of thousands, estimating, rounding, Reading gauges, skip counting and money. Addition and subtraction of money. Some shapes and their proper names, telling time. Book Gamma will take him into multiplication.
    NAC2 - we are just now finishing up the letters and have not yet made it to the copywork portion of this book. He has very nice handwriting (when he wants to and isn’t rushing). I made the kids do all the connections, but we skipped all the open question pages as he doesn’t like to write on the fly.
    Copywork - He has copied many things such as Bible verses, quotes, poems, and right now he wants to copy from A.A. Milne’s “Whinnie the Pooh”. He copied directly from the book, but he does make mistakes at times. I haven’t quite figured out how much to have him do. A few sentences and then if there are mistakes have him recopy? I’m not sure. Any advice? I don’t want him to hate writing, but I also don’t want him to practice making mistakes.
    Writing - We did IEW US History based writing unit this year with Classical Conversations. It was tough. I scribed everything for him. We didn’t get to a whole lot of the dress ups but we did our best to complete as many papers as possible. I think this was a bit much for our first year of writing and I want to scale it back next year. I was considering IEW SWI A possibly as I can then see how Andrew Pudewa teaches it as well.
    Grammar - Classical Conversations Essentials. We basically worked on memorizing grammar charts and info as well as diagramming sentences. He does understand some parts of speech and he actually did well with the diagramming, but I’m not sure he still has a good grasp on understanding parts of speech.

DS (12 - Autism, ADHD, expressive/receptive language disorder, Cognitive delays, sensory issues) He is currently finishing up AAR Level 2 so he knows CVC, initial/final blends, c says /s/ before e, i and y, silent e rules, soft c and soft g, open/closed syllables, oi/oy/aw/au/ow/ou. He can read simple chapter books the same as his younger brother. However, he prefers to sit and read Garfield. I’m trying to figure out how to move him into something more challenging. Sometimes he tries to read too fast and the meaning is lost. Comprehension is a challenge as well. I’m trying to get him to be able to “make a movie” in his head but he likes picture books far better. His listening comprehension is also a struggle. If Ilet him color sometimes he can repeat back, but many times if I let him be “busy” during Reading he can’t narrate back even a short story. Sometimes I will bribe with gum and tell him he can have a piece if he listens very carefully and can tell back what was read. I don’t expect every detail, just wondering if he even heard the gist of the story. Example: Aesop fables.
    AAS 2 - he just started AAS2 so he has done short vowels, TH, SH and CH, CVC, final/initial blends, sound of /k/ at the beginning of a word, NG, NK, compound words, plural words, open syllables, Y can say /i/. He has done a couple of sight words.
    Writing - I started off with SC3 American History based. However, I failed to understand it was a read aloud program and didn’t have the read aloud books. Also, I had order the Beautiful feet early American history program so I could do that with the kids because it was Am History in Classical Conversations. I could have saved time and money if I had realized what the writing program was and just used that versus the BF books, but I had bought them all...so, we ditched that and went back to finishing up the SC2 storytime treasures instead. He is almost finished with it.
    Copywork - like his siblings, we have copied poems, Bible verses, quotes and now Whinnie the Pooh. I write out what I want him to copy into his composition book and then I have him copy directly below.
    NAC2 - he is close to the end of the alphabet. I have him do all the connections, but I do let him skip the “fun pages”. We have not made it to the copywork pages yet.
    MathUSee Beta - he has learned all his single digit addition and subtraction. Right now we have done simple multiple digit addition and we are currently working on understanding regrouping. He does well with the blocks, but when he just sits with a worksheet we are still struggling to remember to “carry that 10 home”. I will sit with him for math until he gets it and then I usually set them free to do some problems on their own.

I started off the year trying to do Apologias Anatomy, but quickly realized it was going to be too hard. So, the only science we did was through our Co-Op. Also, we have made it up to the pilgrims in the BF books. I didn’t get nearly as far as I wanted to, but at least we covered some. My kids love the co-op and I’m hesitant to quit, but between the behavioral challenges and tutoring for Classical Conversations and trying to keep up with my own children’s learning, it was a year that brought me to my knees. I really wanted to quit and I’m trying not to...

I do know that it is unlikely I will be able to do multiple science and history, so I feel we will be more successful if we do a combined family history and science. I just really want to help son 1 find an enjoyment of stories beyond Garfield and begin to comprehend better as well as behavioral improvements, son 2 to gain confidence with spelling and writing as well as increased fluency in reading, daughter to gain fluency in reading and stop whining about everything, and son 4 to begin to learn to read and get excited about learning...it’s a tall order. Plus, I need to find something for ME. I’m not good about that. I’ve let these other things basically take over my life.

Thanks for any help!

Re: Placement Help

Good mornimg, Erika! This is a very helpful summary.

This might work well:

5 - MPK
    7 - SC 2
    10 - SC 3 (AmHist & Writing are linked so this solves several problems!)
    12 - SC 3 (through your 7yo's SC 2, you will receive visual aids for question words with clear instructions for teaching comprehension, so you can use these same techniques with his AmHist studies and literature in SC 3).

For enrichment -- science, history, music, art, geography -- simply teach all of your children from SC 3 Enrichment. Plan on this after lunch or after rest time. A tip: Purchase the K-2 Art Posters rather than Art Cards, and set aside a display area in your home for all to enjoy. In SC 3 Enrichment you will eventually teach all of the K-2 art selections.

Use the SC 3 free play list for your music selections. You can play these during your copywork or cursive time. In SC 3, both of your older children will use NAC 2.

You will need the AmHist RA set, the Story Bible, and the Science RA set. These will serve ALL of your children. Place them on a high shelf -- in order by week -- when they arrive, so you can grab them easily every week. If you want, you can allow the books to move into circulation (e.g., baskets, common shelves, or children's rooms) after they have been studied.

You will need two SC Writing Book Two student books, but everyone can join in for the AmHist read-alouds. If your 5yo needs to color or draw or otherwise remain occupied while you read, that is ok.

By the end of SC 3, your older two will begin Prima Latina. This will be an enormous boost for language, English grammar, parts of speech, listening, word analysis, vocabulary, confidence, and more for both students! By SC 4, they will be ready to move forward into full-time Latin study. Very exciting!

If you want to keep your math, you can do this. It might be nice for familiarity for both you and the children. However, if you want to have a full fresh start, you can view the comprehensive R&S scope and sequence to see if our SC 3 R&S placement seems good to you.

I'm excited for you. All of this could help establish order, elimnate the feeling of piecemealing, and give you the peace you have been seeking.

Feel free to follow up --

Comment

Cheryl,

I've been looking over your recommendations and I thank you very much!

How long does the enrichment portion typically take for topics like Science, History, Music and Art? I sometimes beat myself up for not being able to incorporate these items easily into my day. However, that was why I signed up for Classical Conversations to begin with. It gave me a way to provide some of those things without it having to be me doing it. Then I signed up to tutor...yikes! I got many compliments and they wanted me to become a tutor trainer! It made me feel good, but it felt too busy and chaotic for me personally this year. My question is this: I pulled my children out because I felt I could give them more. However, am I correct to believe that teaching them to read, write and do math are the most important things and I should keep those the main focus? I should likely not be beating myself up about not being able to incorporate science and history on a regular basis? I feel like those things would likely bring more Joy to the day. So, trying to figure out how this all fits. I actually have the SC2 and SC3 teacher manuals.

Here are my questions regarding the curriculum:

SC2 vs. MP1 - for my daughter, I am trying to figure out how does SC2 compare to MP1? My daughter has some reversal issues, but otherwise seems to be learning to read at a much faster pace than her brothers. Just wondering how the two compare. I was looking at the MP2, but realized I would likely have to back up on the reading a bit. Correct? She can read fairly decent. She doesn't like to practice a whole lot yet, but she does read to me and points out signs and such. I had originally considered getting First Start Reading Level D and starting it over the summer. The MP representatives had recommended starting there.

For the boys, My two boys have already done almost the entire alphabet review portion of the NAC2. Should I just work at finishing it up with them for next year and incorporating the Cursive Copywork? I made them do all the connections for each letter. However, I did not make them do the open ended writing pages. They did not want to and i didn't want to push it too much as both boys struggle with spelling and getting sentences down on paper still. I had originally thought i might do IEW SWI A with my younger son, who is 9. Is that too ambitious? Do I need to wait until he is spelling better? He struggles al to more with spelling than he does with reading. He is moving into simple chapter books now with reading.

Thanks for the response and I am trying to figure out my order. I may not make it to Sodalitas now as my husband will be out of town. He doesn't want me to travel alone. I will have to get creative if I am going to make it...I'll try! I originally thought we might be living down there, but that is temporarily in limbo.

Comment

Originally posted by empokorski View Post
        I may not make it to Sodalitas now as my husband will be out of town. He doesn't want me to travel alone. I will have to get creative if I am going to make it...I'll try! I originally thought we might be living down there, but that is temporarily in limbo.
        If he doesn’t mind you traveling just to South Bend, you could ride the rest of the way with my friend and I — we’ll be leaving after Mass on Sunday!
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
        MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
        MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
        As above, plus:
        MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
        MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

My two oldest are doing NAC2 and they don't like those open ended assignments either. Here's my solution, they dictate a few sentences to me. I write them in cursive on the page and they copy them down below. I hesitate to let them write independently because they still need good modeling and I don't want them internalizing misspellings or improper grammar.

Key difference between SC2 and MP1 are most different in the pacing of literature. Storytime Treasures part 1 in SC2 and part 2 in SC3. In MP1, book 1 is first semester and book 2 is second semester.

Focus on core subjects for sure. Sometimes it's easier to do a larger chunk of enrichment at a time. So, instead of doing a little everyday, maybe just do it all on two days. Or even do the whole thing on Friday Delve Deeply day. Or skip it altogether, ha. We've skipped a few weeks here and there...I highlighted them and we'll swing back through over the summer.

What is your reading plan for your boys? Have they completed any of the SC Writing books? I'm not sure what ability level they're working on, so that will channge my advice for them. Overall, I think IEW is a little eager beaver for a 9 year old that struggles.
          Last edited by Colomama; 05-15-2018, 02:07 AM.
          Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
          DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
          DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
            My two oldest are doing NAC2 and they don't like those open ended assignments either. Here's my solution, they dictate a few sentences to me. I write them in cursive on the page and they copy them down below. I hesitate to let them write independently because they still need good modeling and I don't want them internalizing misspellings or improper grammar.

Key difference between SC2 and MP1 are most different in the pacing of literature. Storytime Treasures part 1 in SC2 and part 2 in SC3. In MP1, book 1 is first semester and book 2 is second semester.

Focus on core subjects for sure. Sometimes it's easier to do a larger chunk of enrichment at a time. So, instead of doing a little everyday, maybe just do it all on two days. Or even do the whole thing on Friday Delve Deeply day. Or skip it altogether, ha. We've skipped a few weeks here and there...I highlighted them and we'll swing back through over the summer.

What is your reading plan for your boys? Have they completed any of the SC Writing books? I'm not sure what ability level they're working on, so that will channge my advice for them. Overall, I think IEW is a little eager beaver for a 9 year old that struggles.
            I LOVE your idea on the dictation for those open-ended pages in the NAC2 book. This year my boys did the NAC2 book halfway (so far) and I hadn’t done the Copywork book. So, maybe next year I will plan to go back and focus on a simple letter review or find any connections that seemed to trouble them and do a little review while adding in the copywork books and with the Spelling dictation that might be good.

As for the SC writing books, I had bought SC2 Writing books (Bible story based) and we worked through those during 2016-2017. We also worked on the Storytime Treasures. I had a hard time doing both so when we started the ST, I basically dropped the other one. This year, I put my son (10-not 9, my mistake) in the Classical Conversations Essentials Program. He learned grammar charts that go with all the songs we have been memorizing and he learned how to diagram sentences. He also worked on the US History based writing by IEW. Keep in mind, he spoke and I wrote. I did not require him to write any of it other than it needed to come from his brain. I had spoken to a gal there whose daughter also has sever dyslexia and that was what she did. I had originally bought All things Fun and Fascinating for us to do, but he begged me to do the same one as there other kids in class. He enjoyed it once in awhile. He loved being in class with the other kids, but could not write. His biggest challenge is spelling. He has such a hard time with spelling that his brain can’t focus on anything else when he is trying to write. He has just started book 5 of the Barton Program but still he really struggles with the spelling part. For writing he has done mostly copywork and Cursive. I have not done any dictation with him other than some word lists from the Barton Program. He also has a hard time coming up with “what to write”. So much brain power being used!

As for my eldest (12), I bought SC3 American History based Writjng. However, I failed to recognize that it was a read aloud program. Instead, I bought all the Beautiful Fewt books for their Early American History Program. So, there I was trying to read all these BF books and then realizing I was supposed to be reading aloud these other books too for the SC writing book. I finally decided to go
            Back to the SC2 Storytime treasures and just work at finishing up that book. So that is what we have been doing in addition to Copywork and Cursive. Does that make sense? It’s a bit all over the place.

Comment

I forgot one other thing, I don’t really have a “reading plan”. Any ideas? We just read what we can. I am trying to find books they like. My 12-yr old would rather read Garfield comics than anything. I have been experimenting with Adventures in Oddysey chapter books which are cool. Right now we are trying out the A-Z Super Mysteries by Ron Roy as we have already listened to all the mysteries A through Z via audiobook. My kids loved them. My second son (9) seems to enjoy the Adventures in Oddysey books as well. He also likes History somwe have been working through the easiest Landmark Chapter books like “Meet Columbus”, etc...

Comment

So, it sounds like you purchased most of the components for SC3, but for multiple reasons didn't get them completed. Some are halfway done, like Storytime Treasures and Copywork. Some were barely started, like SC Writing 2.

So, why not just do SC3 as written next year? One change I would make is that your kids could help read those American History Readers. Each person reads a paragraph or a page. I think they are right at your boys level especially if one is reading the Landmark books already. A schedule change I would suggest is doing half the writing on Thursday (A and B) and the last two sections on Friday (C and D).

Your boys don't like to write. That's fair. But you can't just let them continue on with them dictating and you scribing forever. SC Writing 2 would very slowly increase their endurance. There is very little creative writing. They do need to come up with a caption for their illustration in Part D every week. I would use the same idea as NAC2...they dictate, you write, they copy.

You could just continue wherever you are with Storytime Treasures and advance to the next level as they complete it. Not sure if the younger boy did Storytime Treasures. Sounds like the older boy is just finishing it. SC3 will work through More Storytime Treasures, the second book. Seems both boys would be a good fit at this level. (Note, the daughter doing first grade will work through both Storytime and More Storytime in one year, so all three children will end at the same place).

Quite honestly, I didn't even buy the Copywork books for my kids this year. They just never get done. Please don't throw tomatoes. My youngest will be doing K and I've decided my rising first grader can do Copybook with her (mostly because I have 2 unused workbooks). Again, they just don't get done around here and miraculously the sun still rises every morning.

If you don't do every single thing assigned, trust me, the sun will still rise in your neighborhood too.

Edited: if you wanted to add a more 'official' writing course for your older boy, MP offers an IEW Bible Heroes course. It's designed for eager 2nd graders, which seems about his writing confidence level. But, look at writing requirements across the curriculum. He would have writing in SC Writing 2 twice a week (or daily depending on your chosen frequency), writing in literature guides daily, Copybook once or twice a week, cursive daily, and IEW Bible Heroes. That seems like a lot. You might choose to start IEW second semester after you see how he does to start.

Cheryl mentioned the art posters. For SC3 you would need the posters from all three levels. That would be near $100 just for art appreciation. That seems steep to me. But, if you're saving some money by finishing up bits and pieces of unused curriculum, maybe you have some money to spare. They're a good investment and beautiful for sure. Also, some weeks have more than one art piece so thats either a lot of poster switching or multiple prints are displayed. We personally have stuck with the post card sized ones. The card is displayed in our school area all week in a picture frame. We discuss it on Thursday or Friday so everyone had all week to get a good look first.

There's also an art discussion book that covers all three years.

We will start a new enrichment cycle as a family next year with the youngest being in K. I did purchase those art prints in poster-size even though we already have the smaller version. I just don't think I could stomach buying all three years of posters at once.
                Last edited by Colomama; 05-17-2018, 12:57 AM.

Comment

We will start a new enrichment cycle as a family next year with the youngest being in K. I did purchase those art prints in poster-size even though we already have the smaller version. I just don't think I could stomach buying all three years of posters at once.
                  Thanks for the reply! Mostly Inhave bought he curriculum guide and the writing/stprytime treasures for both SC2 and SC3. I did that because Inwas doing AAR/AAS and I wanted them to practice some writing as well. I did do SC Writing 2 with both boys. I dropped SC Writing 3 because I didn’t have the books. I tried requesting from the library but I had a hard time keeping up between that reading and the Beautiful Feet Program. I was so bummed too because this past cycle in Classical a Conversations was American History and Inwas thrilled that it would pair up with the memory work. Next years cycle will be Ancient History. So, that is why I was considering a complete switch over. The tough part is that my kids loved CC and having the chance to be around other children. I just don’t know if it makes sense to do CC and be memorizing Ancient History facts while doing American History at home.

Do you do the same enrichment for all your kiddos? I will have one in K too. My other three are a bit older (2nd, 5th and 7th). Wow...that makes me feel older! Haha! Thanks for the heads up about the posters. I’ll look into it and see what we can do.

I do have some extremely short paragraphs that a friend printed off for me. She said she used them with one of her kids and just did Units 1 & 2 from IEW which is basicallly making a simple KWO which he could copy the words right from the page so no spelling worries there and then he would write his own VERY SHORT paragraph to restate in his own words. I might experiment with that this summer too just to gauge his capabilities.

I’m glad the sun will still rise...😊

Comment

Originally posted by empokorski View Post
                    Thanks for the reply! Mostly Inhave bought he curriculum guide and the writing/stprytime treasures for both SC2 and SC3. I did that because Inwas doing AAR/AAS and I wanted them to practice some writing as well. I did do SC Writing 2 with both boys. I dropped SC Writing 3 because I didn’t have the books. I tried requesting from the library but I had a hard time keeping up between that reading and the Beautiful Feet Program. I was so bummed too because this past cycle in Classical a Conversations was American History and Inwas thrilled that it would pair up with the memory work. Next years cycle will be Ancient History. So, that is why I was considering a complete switch over. The tough part is that my kids loved CC and having the chance to be around other children. I just don’t know if it makes sense to do CC and be memorizing Ancient History facts while doing American History at home.

Do you do the same enrichment for all your kiddos? I will have one in K too. My other three are a bit older (2nd, 5th and 7th). Wow...that makes me feel older! Haha! Thanks for the heads up about the posters. I’ll look into it and see what we can do.

I do have some extremely short paragraphs that a friend printed off for me. She said she used them with one of her kids and just did Units 1 & 2 from IEW which is basicallly making a simple KWO which he could copy the words right from the page so no spelling worries there and then he would write his own VERY SHORT paragraph to restate in his own words. I might experiment with that this summer too just to gauge his capabilities.

I’m glad the sun will still rise...😊
                    The sun will indeed still rise! (Always a good reminder, ColoMama.)

Lots of moms have done and are doing what you’ve described: they buy bits and pieces of this and that, try them, shelve them, and then try bits and pieces of something else. I did this a lot when my kids were younger (and I’m still guilty of trying to add “just one more thing” to the enrichment piece of my children’s curriculum).

The best route, I have found, is to settle on the core books of your plan, use them until they are totally done, and then assess what needs to come next. This is generally accomplished not by buying many things that add “a little”, but by buying a few things that contain “much”. If a piece of curriculum is quality, it will get you and your student where they need to go in the course of the curriculum year. You won’t need to add anything to it and you won’t have much that requires skipping. If one of my children clearly needs Storytime Treasures, for example, we work through ST until it is finished. Whether that takes a semester or a full school year, we finish. Then when ST is finished, we move on to More Storytime Treasures. We don’t stop in the middle. If we need to take a break, we do. But then we come right back to where we were and move forward again. This gives my children a consistent mastery-based curriculum (Memoria Press is well-known for this approach, unlike many other homeschool programs) and I don’t have to keep looking for the “next, ‘better’ thing”.

Pare down your school subjects and extracurricular activities to the bare — BARE! — minimum. Examine each subject or activity for true value and do-ability. (The best resources in the world are worthless if you can’t finish them or if you find yourself so stressed out trying to complete them that you and your children suffer needlessly.) Line up your day for a little less than you think you ”should” be doing and work that plan. I can almost guarantee you, it will fill up your school day. But you will be able to complete it; your children will achieve mastery of a subject with slow and steady consistency; and you might actually have free time to spend on yourself, instead of always feeling behind — and stressed out because of it.

Mrs Lowe said (paraphrase): we can accomplish much less than we think we can in one day, but much more than we think in one year. And Cheryl has said, repeatedly, take what you want to accomplish in one year for your children and cut it in half. Slow and steady wins the race.
                    Boy Wonder: 10, MP2/SC4 (Special Needs)
                    Joy Bubble: 8, MP2 (Special Needs)
                    Snuggly Cowboy: 6, MPK
                    Sweet Lightness: 2, Reverse-Engineering Specialist

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
                    ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Just choose one enrichment for everybody. The oldest you said is developmentally younger than his age. I imagine all of your children will enjoy the enrichment together. All of my kids do for sure. This year we're doing first grade enrichment, so I ignore the SC3 enrichment boxes entirely.

If you choose SC3 for two of your kids, do that enrichment. It all flows so nicely.

Comment

Just choose one enrichment for everybody.... If you choose SC3 for two of your kids, do that enrichment. It all flows so nicely.
                        Yes, and this will serve as an excellent review of American history from last year. It will help everything from last year tie together neatly and make sense for your struggling learners. We're striving for depth of learning and mastery. This will help! They will review while learning art, music, writing, grammar, and science all woven together into the American history, so it will feel familiar yet new to them.

Echoing the advice to select something like this, which is already whole, cohesive, and sequential. I think this will set your mind at ease far more than if you try to teach or keep track of so many new, assorted, and moving parts.

You will want to select a thorough, integrated plan and avoid quitting, because quitting can lead to the children thinking that they can manipulate you by complaining, arguing, or refusing to work.

The SC 3 American history, art, and science sets all work together for SC Writing and SC Enrichment. (Music is free but valuable and also integrated.) Other than this, you will need only reading, spelling, and math!

Do not be afraid to make things easier, as if this lie were true: "Unless I'm exhausted, frazzled, and so worn to the bone that I do not enjoy any of this in any way, I must not yet be giving my children enough." As several people mentioned, our children learn by watching us.

We can enjoy teaching. Maybe not every day, but some days. You really do have the freedom to make this a great and even sometimes satisfying endeavor!

That is our hope with carefully packaging everything together. We know some tweaking will occur, but SC is intended to be the antidote to those expensive, annual piecemealing accidents such as the ones you described, and which we all have experienced!

If you -- or any readers here -- have questions about components, please ask. We want every child to receive a cohesive, excellent, effective education.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                          Yes, and this will serve as an excellent review of American history from last year. It will help everything from last year tie together neatly and make sense for your struggling learners. We're striving for depth of learning and mastery. This will help! They will review while learning art, music, writing, grammar, and science all woven together into the American history, so it will feel familiar yet new to them.

Echoing the advice to select something like this, which is already whole, cohesive, and sequential. I think this will set your mind at ease far more than if you try to teach or keep track of so many new, assorted, and moving parts.

You will want to select a thorough, integrated plan and avoid quitting, because quitting can lead to the children thinking that they can manipulate you by complaining, arguing, or refusing to work.

The SC 3 American history, art, and science sets all work together for SC Writing and SC Enrichment. (Music is free but valuable and also integrated.) Other than this, you will need only reading, spelling, and math!

Do not be afraid to make things easier, as if this lie were true: "Unless I'm exhausted, frazzled, and so worn to the bone that I do not enjoy any of this in any way, I must not yet be giving my children enough." As several people mentioned, our children learn by watching us.

We can enjoy teaching. Maybe not every day, but some days. You really do have the freedom to make this a great and even sometimes satisfying endeavor!

That is our hope with carefully packaging everything together. We know some tweaking will occur, but SC is intended to be the antidote to those expensive, annual piecemealing accidents such as the ones you described, and which we all have experienced!

If you -- or any readers here -- have questions about components, please ask. We want every child to receive a cohesive, excellent, effective education.
                          Thanks Cheryl!

I had a question about the Enrichment piece. Is there a science read aloud package? I noticed there were science read aloud for many.of the other levels and wondered if there were one for this level as well. Thanks!

I have both the SC 2 and SC 3 manuals also I am going over them trying to figure out what I need.

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

It's not listed on the SC3 page itself. Odd.

Here's the link to the set for purchase... https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...nrichment-set/

Comment

Thank you, Colomama. The science & enrichment set is now on the SC 3 page, where it belongs!

Comment

Working...
                              X