Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

New Music Resource!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Music Resource!

Have you seen this new teaching resource?

Music Appreciation for MP 3+ or for SC 5-6+.

Here is a sample. This could follow our SC Enrichment or MP Enrichment or stand alone for older students!

I encourage all of our SC students to study music, whether vocal or instrumental. Especially for our students with behavioral difficulties, music soothes and is integral to a full classical education.

Michael often thanks me for insisting that he learn to play scales, major and minor, because this internalized the structure and order of music for him. Here is a new video of my son on the piano composing his own sonatina:
    https://www.facebook.com/cherylswope.author/

Michelle's performed pieces are much simpler, but she enjoys listening and singing!

Re: New Music Resource!

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    Have you seen this new teaching resource?

Music Appreciation for MP 3+ or for SC 5-6+.

Here is a sample. This could follow our SC Enrichment or MP Enrichment or stand alone for older students!

I encourage all of our SC students to study music, whether vocal or instrumental. Especially for our students with behavioral difficulties, music soothes and is integral to a full classical education.

Michael often thanks me for insisting that he learn to play scales, major and minor, because this internalized the structure and order of music for him. Here is a new video of my son on the piano composing his own sonatina:
    https://www.facebook.com/cherylswope.author/

Michelle's performed pieces are much simpler, but she enjoys listening and singing!
    What a great video!
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
    DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
    DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
    DS11: SC 4
    DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
    DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
    DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Hi Cheryl,

Here is a happy post from me (imagine that!). We started doing Music Enrichment K-2 this winter. I love it. Clara loves it (age appropriate for her), and Stella loves it (having done no real music study before, so this Music has been it for Stella). Would you recommend that we stay with it, and then move to this new program when we are ready, or that we move ahead to it next year since Clara will be SC3 and Stella will be 6A?

Thanks for your advice, again.
      JeJe Greer
      Mom to:
      Stella (8M with 9th grade literature, writing, and Henle Latin)
      Clara (Combination of SC 5/6 and 4th New User)

Comment

Stay with it! MP K-2 Enrichment is so fully packed with rich, beautiful art and music, you can expand for Stella and teach what Clara needs.

No need to change. Just consider it as a good option for the future.

We like happy posts!

Comment

Cheryl,
          Is there a playlist made up for SC 1? Also is there a book that I should get to go along with it? Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by RebeccaJ View Post
            Cheryl,
            Is there a playlist made up for SC 1? Also is there a book that I should get to go along with it? Thank you!
            They can’t provide a CD due to copyright restrictions. You can find the songs on Apple Music or Spotify. I prefer Apple Music since it doesn’t have ads pop up.
            Jennifer
            Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
            DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
            DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
            DS11: SC 4
            DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
            DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
            DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Cheryl,
              I just look them up on YouTube. That way we can watch the orchestra play them once and then the kids can dance to them for a second listen. My kids are really into visual and kinesthetic learning. They are not quite as good with auditory learning - which is why it is so important for them to be doing music and having to answer questions about what they have heard!
              JeJe Greer
              Mom to:
              Stella (8M with 9th grade literature, writing, and Henle Latin)
              Clara (Combination of SC 5/6 and 4th New User)

Comment

Music Appreciation I; MP Kindergarten, First, and Second grades; and Simply Classical Levels 2-4 music playlists are here on YouTube:

https://m.youtube.com/user/memoriapress

NOTE: this link takes you to the Memoria Press Channel on YouTube. Select “playlists” to see music selections.
                Boy Wonder: 12, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
                Joy Bubble: 10, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
                Snuggly Cowboy: 8, Seton and MP Electives
                The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
                ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Cheryl,
                  We have playlists for SC 2, 3, 4 but not yet for SC 1. SC 1 slipped through the cracks. We're working on it!

You will not need a book. Choose one day, preferably Monday or Tuesday, to introduce the music. At that time you can give the name of the piece, the name of the composer, and talk briefly about "composing" music. Then listen. Children can listen for "tempo" (fast or slow), "dynamics" (loud, soft), and more subjective elements, such as how the music makes us feel (bouncy, happy, like fast dancing - or slower, thinking about things, slow dancing). You can give each child a long scarf or two for dancing freely while listening.

After that first intro day, you may do nothing more than play the music during any independent seatwork. Cue it up for writing or independent math seatwork or during quiet rest time. The primary purpose at this level is cultivating tastes. We want beautifully composed music to become a natural part of the children's lives.

I recently visited HLS and noted that the teachers in each room I visited played the classical music selection very quietly during seat work. This was an instant cue for the students to be very quiet as they wrote in cursive, completed copybook exercises, or otherwise concentrated on working independently. Over time, longer pieces will assist you in promoting longer sessions of independent work.

Comment

Working...
                  X