Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

What to do when you can’t do the full plan for a day...or longer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do when you can’t do the full plan for a day...or longer

I think I’m starting to turn around but I know we’ll face this again so I’m going to go ahead and ask:

What do you do when you can’t do a day as scheduled in SC due to sickness, etc? I had a flare with a chronic health condition, then we came down with the flu, and I’m still fighting fatigue and some depression. I always tell other moms to just do the next day, but I can’t even get to a full day lately. In SC, everything is so integrated and important that I don’t know what a “keep-it-going-the-best-you-can” day would focus on. The lack of consistency is killing my kids’ progress so I need to figure something out. What do you all do?
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
    DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
    DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
    DS11: SC 4
    DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
    DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
    DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Re: What to do when you can’t do the full plan for a day...or longer

Hi, Jen.

If it were me (and it often was), I would just be sure to teach Bible, Latin, and math. (For students still learning to read, teach Bible, reading, and math.) Then read good literature together aloud.

Tips to streamline in large families:
    Bible & literature can be combined. Music & art can be considered exposure, rather than teaching, and the benefits will still be there! Just play some of the musical selections and display the art. Some is always better than none.

Just fyi:
    Only SC A and SC C are fully integrated, but even in those levels you can omit items. In C, for example, you can omit animal studies & animal coloring. Levels B, 1, 2, 3, 4 can be taught more easily by individual subjects.

Another tip:
    To streamline SC 2 & 3, teach Bible writing rather than Read-Aloud writing.

I hope you feel better. Often just taking those first steps toward reclaiming the work schedule can fight those depressive or discouraging thoughts!

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      Often just taking those first steps toward reclaiming the work schedule can fight those depressive or discouraging thoughts!
      Thank you for these tips, Cheryl! You’re right that taking those steps helps — chronic illness can make you feel trapped though. If you take the steps, you end up setting back your physical recovery but if you don’t take the steps you end up suffering mentally.
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
      DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
      DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
      DS11: SC 4
      DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
      DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
      DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Break up with perfection. Dump him. He’s a demanding, overbearing jerk who hogs all your brain space. While you’re at it, call-block fear, shame, guilt and doom. They’re just troll-spammers demanding you buy something you can’t afford.

Do one hour of school. Stop. The next day, do one hour of school. Stop. The next day, do two hours of school. Stop. Repeat until you’re back where you should be.

Depression, anxiety and anger (for me) generally flare up when we are in transition; when we/I don’t have a good routine; when we/I are isolated; when we/I don’t get outside in the fresh air or get exercise on any given day; when we/I don’t have a creative outlet or something to look forward to every day (crafts, a nature walk, one favorite tv show or podcast, one hour of painting, a hot bath at 930 after everyone is asleep...)

Pulling yourself “out from under the mountain” takes ENERGY — something in short supply when you’re depressed — so make mini goals. Brushing your teeth is a win. Putting on clothes is a win. Washing your face is a win. Saying one prayer is a win. Putting nutritious food in your body is a win (don’t get caught up in paleo, gluten free, organic, vegan tailspins — just imagine what your great grandmother would have eaten from her garden or farm for breakfast and eat a small meal of something similar). Having a reason to get out of the house is a win. (This validates that yes, indeed, you do exist and people not related to you can see you and verify your realness.)

Take it slow; give yourself grace; make small baby-stepping progress; rest when you need to; and don’t judge yourself by an arbitrary standard. Everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time. Everyone eats. Everyone sleeps. And (to quote REM) everybody hurts sometimes. You’re not failing.
        Boy Wonder: 12, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
        Joy Bubble: 10, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
        Snuggly Cowboy: 8, Seton and MP Electives
        The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
        ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Originally posted by Anita View Post
          Break up with perfection. Dump him. He’s a demanding, overbearing jerk who hogs all your brain space. While you’re at it, call-block fear, shame, guilt and doom. They’re just troll-spammers demanding you buy something you can’t afford.

Do one hour of school. Stop. The next day, do one hour of school. Stop. The next day, do two hours of school. Stop. Repeat until you’re back where you should be.

Depression, anxiety and anger (for me) generally flare up when we are in transition; when we/I don’t have a good routine; when we/I are isolated; when we/I don’t get outside in the fresh air or get exercise on any given day; when we/I don’t have a creative outlet or something to look forward to every day (crafts, a nature walk, one favorite tv show or podcast, one hour of painting, a hot bath at 930 after everyone is asleep...)

Pulling yourself “out from under the mountain” takes ENERGY — something in short supply when you’re depressed — so make mini goals. Brushing your teeth is a win. Putting on clothes is a win. Washing your face is a win. Saying one prayer is a win. Putting nutritious food in your body is a win (don’t get caught up in paleo, gluten free, organic, vegan tailspins — just imagine what your great grandmother would have eaten from her garden or farm for breakfast and eat a small meal of something similar). Having a reason to get out of the house is a win. (This validates that yes, indeed, you do exist and people not related to you can see you and verify your realness.)

Take it slow; give yourself grace; make small baby-stepping progress; rest when you need to; and don’t judge yourself by an arbitrary standard. Everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time. Everyone eats. Everyone sleeps. And (to quote REM) everybody hurts sometimes. You’re not failing.

...which is precisely why Anita has an article on this topic in the next Simply Classical Journal issue. If anyone reading does not yet receive this new magazine, we invite you to subscribe here for free.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
            ...which is precisely why Anita has an article on this topic in the next Simply Classical Journal issue. If anyone reading does not yet receive this new magazine, we invite you to subscribe here for free.
            Aww shucks. :blushes:

The final thing I will add is the old proverb; “Laughter is the best medicine.” This could not be more true. Every day, I find something to laugh about. YouTube, NetFlix, podcasts, memes, Audible selections, my hilarious toddler and her siblings, my husband (the funniest man I know) — anything I can do to have a GREAT belly laugh at least once a day works miracles on my psyche.

Everyone’s taste is subjective, so just find what works for you. NetFlix has old Jerry Seinfeld stand up routines (as well as some new ones) and his mini show “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee”. YouTube has memes catalogued and set to music about parenting, pets, married life, etc that are generally pretty funny. Larry Miller has a long-running podcast that I’m just starting to listen to. And you can always find old episodes of Johnny Carson, The Dean Martin Show or stand up/variety shoes on YouTube (I spend a lot of time on YouTube — it’s a gold mine). Christopher Guest “mockumentaries” are excellent if you like dry humor. Even old episodes of Bugs Bunny (especially directed by Chuck Jones) are a surprisingly good source for deep chuckles (Chuck Jones was a genius, IMO).

Point: LAUGH. Laugh a lot. You’ll instantly feel better and your troubles will seem much smaller.
            Boy Wonder: 12, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
            Joy Bubble: 10, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
            Snuggly Cowboy: 8, Seton and MP Electives
            The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
            ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

When I read this thread, I immediately thought "Bible, Latin and Math." And that's what Cheryl suggested! When we were in our 'valley' several years ago, I would stress my son get his math and Latin done. But not because anyone told me or because I had heard Martin mention it (like I have since heard him mention.) It was all random and accidental to focus on those things. In hindsight, I'm so thankful we chose those as default.

But the Bible..... I drove down from the Laurel Highlands on Sunday pondering all I had experienced and heard at the St. Emmelia conference (Fr. Josiah Trenham, Andrew Kern, Bishop Thomas) ..... Honestly, the most precious nuggets came at the end in Bishop Thomas' homily on Sunday morning as he encouraged us in what we were doing. He stressed that if we got to nothing else, at least let the Scriptures be what we do every. single. day. He said a day without the scriptures "is a very weird day." And he admonished us not to have those "very, very weird days."

Comment

For SC2 Clara we do reading a book or 3 to Mom, doing copywork, and listening to the Story of the World on CD. For normal to brilliant Stella we do a math lesson (as long as it is a day Mom does not have to teach), individual reading of Mom-assigned Charlotte Mason style books, and Story of the World on CD. I know that SOTW is a summer thing in MP, but it is so enjoyable and has saved me so many times. You can get in at least 45 minutes of school with it while you half nap on the couch. Oh, I also send the girls on "nature walks," (Charlotte Mason), while walking the dogs. The "nature walks" can involve sledding, scootering, jumping into creeks, etc., and reporting back. Mommy gets to rest while this goes on. Please note my oldest is middle school level and the creeks are about 2 inches deep. We do not do Latin, as our only Latin so far has been Song School Latin since I was kind of following Charlotte Mason schooling. We also do not do Bible. We pray together every day, and Bible is hard to teach to two kids at really different levels when you do not feel well.
                JeJe Greer
                Mom to:
                Stella (8M with 9th grade literature, writing, and Henle Latin)
                Clara (Combination of SC 5/6 and 4th New User)

Comment

Working...
                X