Where to go after AP Latin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to go after AP Latin

Hi Mr. Piland. Since it doesn't seem that the Ovid class is going to come to fruition (sigh), is there anything you can recommend for after AP Latin, whether it's another online class from somewhere else or materials we could use at home possibly with a tutor? I'm still hoping my daughter can finish out high school with one more Latin class that will carry her into college Latin. I am also trying to reach out to Mr. Lange. Maybe he would have some insight as well. Thanks!

Jennifer

Re: Where to go after AP Latin

Originally posted by runner girl View Post
    Hi Mr. Piland. Since it doesn't seem that the Ovid class is going to come to fruition (sigh), is there anything you can recommend for after AP Latin, whether it's another online class from somewhere else or materials we could use at home possibly with a tutor? I'm still hoping my daughter can finish out high school with one more Latin class that will carry her into college Latin. I am also trying to reach out to Mr. Lange. Maybe he would have some insight as well. Thanks!

Jennifer
    I just wanted to let you know that Mr. Piland is out sick today so his response will be delayed. Hopefully he'll be well again soon!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Jennifer,

Is your daughter in AP Latin right now? My daughter is in Henle 2 in MPOA as a freshman so we will be in the position sooner than I care to admit of needing a post AP option. When I have inquired in the past I did not get the feeling that post AP is even in the talking stages at MPOA so I have started looking around. If you have a copy of the Latin centered curriculum there is mention of Bradley's Arnold Latin Prose Composition and medieval mosaic by Godfrey for later Latin selections. I purchased an old copy of a Term of Ovid which looks doable. If you have access to a tutor, bolchazy.com has numerous selections of Latin texts depending on what she is interested in studying. I think their self-study appropriateness would vary. The only other class that I have found is Lukeion project where my daughter takes Greek. They have two independent study selections for post AP Latin. It is too far in the future for me to decide, but I like knowing what my options are. Be sure to let the rest of us know what works for you!

Dorinda
      Dorinda

For 2019-2020
      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
      DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
      DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Hello.

We do have an Ovid study guide that your student could possibly use independently, but it is difficult. I recently sat in on the Ovid class at HLS, and the students were definitely challenged. I might recommend the Bolchazy Carducci Legamus readers. They are fun, and there is an Ovid one. They aren't as challenging as AP probably, but that's why we do AP in 11th grade. Seniors are so involved in college entry that they are distracted. It's nice to end on a lighter note.

Tanya

Comment

To the OP -- have you looked at Lukeion online? Intense, apparently, but gets great reviews from folks on the Well Trained Mind Forum.

I'm keeping an eye on Lukeion for post-AP Latin and for their classical Greek ...
          Ana, mama to
          ds A, 13yo
          ds N, 8yo

Comment

Mr. Piland,
            I'm chiming in on this thread because I am in the same situation as Dorinda, but a year behind her. I'm curious if you forsee a regular "after AP" class for 12th graders as your number of Latin students increases in MPOA? I'm asking with an eye to the 2021-2022 school year and beyond.

Another question is about sequencing for students who've started Latin at home on the accelerated pace. My second child is doing Fourth Form in seventh grade. Here is her MPOA sequence below. AP Latin in 10th feels too early, but I have no experience with that. What is the exact sequence at big HLS? I see on the site they do both Ovid and Medieval Latin at some point.

7-Fourth Form/Henle 1
            8-Henle 2 Caesar
            9-Henle 3 Cicero
            10-AP Latin
            11-?
            12-?

Advice?
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
            @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
            S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
            D · 8th
            D · 5th
            S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Hi Jessica! (and others)

Thanks for your interest in this! We have two options that we are looking at for post AP Latin. We are looking at a full-year Ovid course or perhaps a Medieval Latin course, or maybe even a Latin prose composition (this is more common in 12th grade, post AP at HLS). Medieval Latin has not been taught for a very long time at HLS. Any of the options we're looking at would be very good. I should know more by the end of this current year about who will be designing these options for MPOA.

Thank you

Scott Piland
              Director
              Memoria Press Online Academy
              onlineacademy@memoriapress.com
              (877) 745-8866

Comment

Originally posted by spiland View Post
                Hi Jessica! (and others)

Thanks for your interest in this! We have two options that we are looking at for post AP Latin. We are looking at a full-year Ovid course or perhaps a Medieval Latin course, or maybe even a Latin prose composition (this is more common in 12th grade, post AP at HLS). Medieval Latin has not been taught for a very long time at HLS. Any of the options we're looking at would be very good. I should know more by the end of this current year about who will be designing these options for MPOA.

Thank you

Scott Piland
                Director
                (877) 745-8866
                Scott,

How cool! I really like the Latin composition option because it could pair well with independent reading. They all sound quite nice. Would you view implementation of one of these options for the 2019-2020 school year or later? I really have no idea how long it takes to design a class like this.
                Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1

Comment

Hi Jessica! (and others)

Thank you

Scott Piland
                  Director
                  (877) 745-8866
                  Both sound fantastic! Thanks for all the diligent work behind the scenes.
                  Festina lentē,
                  Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
                  @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                  S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                  D · 8th
                  D · 5th
                  S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                    Scott,

How cool! I really like the Latin composition option because it could pair well with independent reading. They all sound quite nice. Would you view implementation of one of these options for the 2019-2020 school year or later? I really have no idea how long it takes to design a class like this.
                    Hi Dorinda,

Thanks for this! The Latin composition could be an option, but I'm guessing we may go with Ovid or something special that Mrs. Cutrer is cooking up right now for Medieval Latin (all primary text translations). We will be working on this during the current year, I believe. My hope is to offer up something for 2019-20.

Thank you!

Scott Piland
                    Director
                    (877) 745-8866

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                      Both sound fantastic! Thanks for all the diligent work behind the scenes.
                      You bet Jessica! We're excited about the possibilities.

Scott Piland
                      Director
                      (877) 745-8866

Comment

Hi Dorinda,

Thanks for this! The Latin composition could be an option, but I'm guessing we may go with Ovid or something special that Mrs. Cutrer is cooking up right now for Medieval Latin (all primary text translations). We will be working on this during the current year, I believe. My hope is to offer up something for 2019-20.

Thank you!

Scott Piland
                        Director
                        (877) 745-8866
                        Awesome! We are looking forward to whatever comes along.
                        Dorinda

For 2019-2020

Comment

Scott,

Is there any update on the post-AP options? I see that it didn’t happen got 2019-2020. My daughter is in AP Latin this year with MPOA and before long I am going to have to start looking at options for next year.
                          Dorinda

For 2019-2020

Comment

Hello Mom2mthj,

No updates yet. Just getting the current school year underway. Will look at this in about a month or so.

Scott Piland
                            Director

Comment

Mr. Piland,

As you look at options for growth in the future for both this subject and others, I want to suggest once a week evening classes. I know class times are up to the instructors, but there are some families like mine where one evening classes in Latin and Logic would supplement an in school situation.

God bless,

Christina
                              Christina

9th grader MPOA/state virtual school, 6th in private school, 4th hodgepodge homeschool (only girl), and a 4 year old pediatric cancer patient.

Comment

Working...
                              X