Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novare Physical Science (3rd Edition?)

MP Staff,

So my son just informed me after he exited his Physical Science class with Mrs. Peterson that there appeared to be an even newer edition of this text. I just went on the Novare website and read about the changes between the 2nd and 3rd edition. Just curious why MP would be selling the 2nd edition for this class. (I placed my order at Sodalitas and MP sent me the 2nd edition.) Apparently there are a lot of corrections to their many typos, and an additional couple pages of explanation in Ch. 7. I understand I'll need to check with Mrs. Peterson about how that is handled once we get to Ch. 7 in the online class.

Please advise. Thanks so much!

Susan P

Re: Novare Physical Science (3rd Edition?)

Originally posted by SPearson View Post
    MP Staff,

So my son just informed me after he exited his Physical Science class with Mrs. Peterson that there appeared to be an even newer edition of this text. I just went on the Novare website and read about the changes between the 2nd and 3rd edition. Just curious why MP would be selling the 2nd edition for this class. (I placed my order at Sodalitas and MP sent me the 2nd edition.) Apparently there are a lot of corrections to their many typos, and an additional couple pages of explanation in Ch. 7. I understand I'll need to check with Mrs. Peterson about how that is handled once we get to Ch. 7 in the online class.

Susan P
    Hello,

We are selling the 3rd edition. If MPOA choose to continue using the 2nd edition this year in the academy, where they have a master teacher to guide students through the text, you would need to ask either Mrs. Peterson or Mr. Piland about that decision. I've moved your post to the Online Academy forum so he'll see it.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Thanks Michael. I guess I don't understand why MP shipped me the 2nd edition if you are selling the 3rd. I mean, typically, older editions go down in value. So I paid full price for an older edition not knowing I could have had the 3rd edition for the same price. That's what I'm trying to get at here.

SusanP

Comment

Originally posted by SPearson View Post
        MP Staff,

Susan P
        Hi Susan,

Glad to help. We were only made aware of the 3rd edition of the Novare text around mid September, at which time I contacted them. They indicated that with each new edition of Novare Physical Science, the changes have been mainly cosmetic with minor changes to word choices throughout and the correction of all known typos and calculation errors.

In the 3rd edition for the first time they added four new pages of content at the end of chapter 7. It is mainly an expansion on the topic of “how we know truth”, i.e., direct observation, correct reasoning, etc., (a middle school answer to those questions). Occasionally a photo or graphic has been updated or exchanged.

The biggest concern to teachers and students with this edition and our adopting it so late, was that the pagination is different by 4 pages after chapter 7. But otherwise, the books are structurally the same, and the content is very nearly the same. Because of the late release and our awareness of this edition, we opted not to go with the 2nd edition, because we didn't want to throw everyone off.

We will probably go with the 3rd edition next year. At the time you ordered at Sodalitas the 2nd edition is all that was available.

I hope this helps you

Scott Piland
        Director
        Memoria Press Online Academy
        onlineacademy@memoriapress.com

Comment

Thanks Mr. Piland. Yes, this helps clear up some confusion for me. Appreciate it.

SusanP

Comment

Working...
          X