Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question at MPOA Latin Summer Reviews

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Question at MPOA Latin Summer Reviews

    I'm going to transition my daughter to MPOA for Latin. I'm not sure yet if it will be the next school year (9th grade) or the following (10th grade). This would be her first online class, so I'm thinking a review class over the summer prior to starting the regular class would be good. I talked about review classes with someone in the past but don't remember specifics and can't find any on the website, so I have a few questions. Is there a summer review class for every level of Latin every summer? If not, which levels have review classes? Is it the same levels every year or different levels? When does the review class begin? We school year round and finish our year during the summer, so I would need to know ahead of time when we would need to finish so I could accelerate her (so she'll be done in time) without overwhelming her. Thanks :-)
    Cheryl, mom to:

    ds 24, graduated
    ds 23, graduated
    dd 15, 9th Grade
    dd 12, 6th Grade
    ds 10, 4nd Grade

    #2
    Re: Question at MPOA Latin Summer Reviews

    Originally posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
    I'm going to transition my daughter to MPOA for Latin. I'm not sure yet if it will be the next school year (9th grade) or the following (10th grade). This would be her first online class, so I'm thinking a review class over the summer prior to starting the regular class would be good. I talked about review classes with someone in the past but don't remember specifics and can't find any on the website, so I have a few questions. Is there a summer review class for every level of Latin every summer? If not, which levels have review classes? Is it the same levels every year or different levels? When does the review class begin? We school year round and finish our year during the summer, so I would need to know ahead of time when we would need to finish so I could accelerate her (so she'll be done in time) without overwhelming her. Thanks :-)
    Hi Cheryl,

    Thank you very much for the message - glad to help!

    The Summer review classes are a great place to start, so that your student can get a feel for how it all works. Many, many people have started with online classes like this, so you are in good company. I'll try to answer your questions in order:

    • Our Summer Review classes are here, including Latin, Literature, and some others.
    • We do have Latin review for most levels, at least in the Form series and for the first half of Henle. We typically offer the same levels each year.
    • Thanks for the information about schooling year-round; very helpful. The Summer Term for 2018 is 7/2/18 - 8/5/18.



    I hope this helps and I hope you have a great day! If you have any other questions please feel free to email me at onlineacademy@memoriapress.com.

    Scott Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy
    (877) 745-8866

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Question at MPOA Latin Summer Reviews

      Originally posted by spiland View Post
      Hi Cheryl,

      Thank you very much for the message - glad to help!

      The Summer review classes are a great place to start, so that your student can get a feel for how it all works. Many, many people have started with online classes like this, so you are in good company. I'll try to answer your questions in order:

      • Our Summer Review classes are here, including Latin, Literature, and some others.
      • We do have Latin review for most levels, at least in the Form series and for the first half of Henle. We typically offer the same levels each year.
      • Thanks for the information about schooling year-round; very helpful. The Summer Term for 2018 is 7/2/18 - 8/5/18.


      I hope this helps and I hope you have a great day! If you have any other questions please feel free to email me at onlineacademy@memoriapress.com.

      Scott Piland
      Director
      Memoria Press Online Academy
      (877) 745-8866
      Thank you so much for the help! I made the rookie mistake of searching by subject instead of term. I'll try to log that into my long term memory. I will compare the dates with my schedule this year to see if we can have her done with Third Form before the summer class begins (she's in 8th grade, but we didn't start until later...was reacquainted with MP through the special needs program for my youngest). I think that would be my first choice, but I don't want to overwhelm her. Thanks again!
      Cheryl, mom to:

      ds 24, graduated
      ds 23, graduated
      dd 15, 9th Grade
      dd 12, 6th Grade
      ds 10, 4nd Grade

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Question at MPOA Latin Summer Reviews

        One more quick question. My daughter wants to know if the classes are recorded so they can be watched later (if one is sick or just wants to see the class again). I did see that if you are sick you can join another class with permission, but I didn't see anything about watching the class again later. My daughter is used to working with the DVD's and often views the lesson more than once.
        Cheryl, mom to:

        ds 24, graduated
        ds 23, graduated
        dd 15, 9th Grade
        dd 12, 6th Grade
        ds 10, 4nd Grade

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Question at MPOA Latin Summer Reviews

          Originally posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
          Thank you so much for the help! I made the rookie mistake of searching by subject instead of term. I'll try to log that into my long term memory. I will compare the dates with my schedule this year to see if we can have her done with Third Form before the summer class begins (she's in 8th grade, but we didn't start until later...was reacquainted with MP through the special needs program for my youngest). I think that would be my first choice, but I don't want to overwhelm her. Thanks again!
          Hi Cheryl,

          Yes, they are all recorded.

          Thanks!

          Scott Piland
          Director
          Memoria Press Online Academy

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Question at MPOA Latin Summer Reviews

            Originally posted by spiland View Post
            Hi Cheryl,

            Yes, they are all recorded.

            Thanks!

            Scott Piland
            Director
            Memoria Press Online Academy
            Okay, this is probably a stupid questions, but can the size of the text in the chat/discussion box be made larger? My daughter has low vision, and the text really needs to be larger for her to read it easily. Is the student able to arrange the boxes how they like (we are looking at two different classes and the boxes are in different areas)?
            Cheryl, mom to:

            ds 24, graduated
            ds 23, graduated
            dd 15, 9th Grade
            dd 12, 6th Grade
            ds 10, 4nd Grade

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Question at MPOA Latin Summer Reviews

              Originally posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
              Okay, this is probably a stupid questions, but can the size of the text in the chat/discussion box be made larger? My daughter has low vision, and the text really needs to be larger for her to read it easily. Is the student able to arrange the boxes how they like (we are looking at two different classes and the boxes are in different areas)?
              Hi Cheryl,

              No problem. I believe a person can change the text in the chat box to be larger or smaller. Also, there is a full screen button as well. If you have a larger screen then that should help as well.

              Thank you

              Scott Piland
              Director
              Memoria Press Online Academy

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Question at MPOA Latin Summer Reviews

                Originally posted by spiland View Post
                Hi Cheryl,

                No problem. I believe a person can change the text in the chat box to be larger or smaller. Also, there is a full screen button as well. If you have a larger screen then that should help as well.

                Thank you

                Scott Piland
                Director
                Memoria Press Online Academy
                I believe the monitor on that computer is at least 27 inches, so it's decent sized. The classes we are watching are covering the entire screen, and she has to lean close to the screen to read it. This wouldn't be sustainable because she needs to be able to sit back far enough to type. Is there a way to see how large the type can be made? If not, would we be able to be refunded if we find that the maximum size of the type isn't going to be large enough to work?

                Also, is the student able to move the windows around, or is the configuration set up by the teacher? In one, the chat window is very tall and narrow (in the middle of the screen from top to bottom). In the other, it's short and wide (at the bottom of the screen).

                I'm sorry for all the questions, but we've never done an online class before and can't manipulate anything in what we are watching because it's a taped session.
                Cheryl, mom to:

                ds 24, graduated
                ds 23, graduated
                dd 15, 9th Grade
                dd 12, 6th Grade
                ds 10, 4nd Grade

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Question at MPOA Latin Summer Reviews

                  Originally posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
                  I believe the monitor on that computer is at least 27 inches, so it's decent sized. The classes we are watching are covering the entire screen, and she has to lean close to the screen to read it. This wouldn't be sustainable because she needs to be able to sit back far enough to type. Is there a way to see how large the type can be made? If not, would we be able to be refunded if we find that the maximum size of the type isn't going to be large enough to work?

                  Also, is the student able to move the windows around, or is the configuration set up by the teacher? In one, the chat window is very tall and narrow (in the middle of the screen from top to bottom). In the other, it's short and wide (at the bottom of the screen).

                  I'm sorry for all the questions, but we've never done an online class before and can't manipulate anything in what we are watching because it's a taped session.
                  Hi Cheryl,

                  Your best bet is to come to an Open House in the spring so you can see it live. The Open Houses should be announced in a few months. The teacher has the liberty though, to adjust the template that works the best for displaying the information. The configuration is 100% customized by the teacher, not the student, if that makes sense. Our Refund Policy is on this page. If you are watching some of our recorded samples, those are a good representative of what it will look like, so it may or may not be a good option for you, I'm not sure.

                  Thank you!

                  Scott Piland
                  Director
                  Memoria Press Online Academy

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Question at MPOA Latin Summer Reviews

                    Originally posted by spiland View Post
                    Hi Cheryl,

                    Your best bet is to come to an Open House in the spring so you can see it live. The Open Houses should be announced in a few months. The teacher has the liberty though, to adjust the template that works the best for displaying the information. The configuration is 100% customized by the teacher, not the student, if that makes sense. Our Refund Policy is on this page. If you are watching some of our recorded samples, those are a good representative of what it will look like, so it may or may not be a good option for you, I'm not sure.

                    Thank you!

                    Scott Piland
                    Director
                    Memoria Press Online Academy
                    Is the open house something that can be viewed online? During the open house, would one be able to sample the interface the student uses for the class? The big issue will be if the text in the chat box can be made large enough for my daughter to read it easily. It seems like there should be some way to determine this without us having to enroll in a class and be out money if she has to drop it because she can't see well enough to view the chat box (the text in the teacher's presentation was plenty large enough).
                    Cheryl, mom to:

                    ds 24, graduated
                    ds 23, graduated
                    dd 15, 9th Grade
                    dd 12, 6th Grade
                    ds 10, 4nd Grade

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Question at MPOA Latin Summer Reviews

                      Originally posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
                      Is the open house something that can be viewed online? During the open house, would one be able to sample the interface the student uses for the class? The big issue will be if the text in the chat box can be made large enough for my daughter to read it easily. It seems like there should be some way to determine this without us having to enroll in a class and be out money if she has to drop it because she can't see well enough to view the chat box (the text in the teacher's presentation was plenty large enough).
                      Cheryl,

                      The General Orientations/Open Houses are all live and online, but schedule is not available yet. Those are the way you would determine if it would work for you or not, and they occur prior to signing up. Students can make the chat larger in the chat box to suit them. But the boxes themselves and the size are determined by the instructor and the layout they choose to use. But if you are viewing the recordings or something online and that doesn't work for you, then likely the live classes won't work for you.

                      Thanks!

                      Scott Piland
                      Director
                      Memoria Press Online Academy

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Question at MPOA Latin Summer Reviews

                        Originally posted by spiland View Post
                        Cheryl,

                        The General Orientations/Open Houses are all live and online, but schedule is not available yet. Those are the way you would determine if it would work for you or not, and they occur prior to signing up. Students can make the chat larger in the chat box to suit them. But the boxes themselves and the size are determined by the instructor and the layout they choose to use. But if you are viewing the recordings or something online and that doesn't work for you, then likely the live classes won't work for you.

                        Thanks!

                        Scott Piland
                        Director
                        Memoria Press Online Academy
                        The layout isn't crucial. There might be things that might work better, but I don't think either of the setups we have seen so far in the samples would not work. It all hinges on the size of the text in the chat box.

                        Just to be clear, when one views things during the open house, they are using the same interface as the students use during the classes? I understand that the exact setup can be different, but they will be the same functionally so I can manipulate the size of the text in the chat box in the same way that my daughter would be able to during class?

                        Thank you for your patience. I'm sure my questions must be frustrating to you, and I'm sorry for that. If it makes you feel any better, it's equally frustrating from our end ;-) I just don't want to go through all the trouble and expense only to find out that it won't work because of something as simple as the text size in a chat window, which I'm sure you can understand.
                        Cheryl, mom to:

                        ds 24, graduated
                        ds 23, graduated
                        dd 15, 9th Grade
                        dd 12, 6th Grade
                        ds 10, 4nd Grade

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Question at MPOA Latin Summer Reviews

                          Cheryl,

                          My daughter said it is easy to adjust the font within the box. Since the box size is teacher controlled, I would explain the situation to the teacher of the section you are interested in and ask if it is possible to accommodate your needs before you register. I would assume that Mr. Piland could provide you with an email address. All of our teachers in the MPOA have been very kind and strike me as being willing to help if made aware of the situation. I would assume it would be helpful if you could figure out what size font she needs to be able to read at computer distance then you could try a column of text in word to see if it would fit in the size boxes currently used in the sample classes or what size box you would need. In general my daughter says the chat box is used for socialization at the beginning of class and for students to enter answers without needing a microphone. My daughter says you don't really need to be reading it all the time unless you want to see other student answers.

                          Hope that helps a bit.
                          Dorinda

                          For 2019-2020
                          DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                          DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                          DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                          DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Question at MPOA Latin Summer Reviews

                            Originally posted by spiland View Post
                            Hi Cheryl,

                            Thank you very much for the message - glad to help!

                            The Summer review classes are a great place to start, so that your student can get a feel for how it all works. Many, many people have started with online classes like this, so you are in good company. I'll try to answer your questions in order:

                            • Our Summer Review classes are here, including Latin, Literature, and some others.
                            • We do have Latin review for most levels, at least in the Form series and for the first half of Henle. We typically offer the same levels each year.
                            • Thanks for the information about schooling year-round; very helpful. The Summer Term for 2018 is 7/2/18 - 8/5/18.



                            I hope this helps and I hope you have a great day! If you have any other questions please feel free to email me at onlineacademy@memoriapress.com.

                            Scott Piland
                            Director
                            Memoria Press Online Academy
                            (877) 745-8866
                            Scott,

                            Any chance you will be adding the Ovid class this summer? My daughter really wanted to take it last summer, but wasn't quite ready.

                            Dorinda
                            Dorinda

                            For 2019-2020
                            DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                            DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                            DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                            DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Question at MPOA Latin Summer Reviews

                              Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                              Cheryl,

                              My daughter said it is easy to adjust the font within the box. Since the box size is teacher controlled, I would explain the situation to the teacher of the section you are interested in and ask if it is possible to accommodate your needs before you register. I would assume that Mr. Piland could provide you with an email address. All of our teachers in the MPOA have been very kind and strike me as being willing to help if made aware of the situation. I would assume it would be helpful if you could figure out what size font she needs to be able to read at computer distance then you could try a column of text in word to see if it would fit in the size boxes currently used in the sample classes or what size box you would need. In general my daughter says the chat box is used for socialization at the beginning of class and for students to enter answers without needing a microphone. My daughter says you don't really need to be reading it all the time unless you want to see other student answers.

                              Hope that helps a bit.
                              Thank you Dorinda, your post helps a lot!! This is a first for us, so I'm clueless about everything. I very much appreciate your suggestions (brilliant!)! When the schedule comes out, I'll see which class fits best and see about emailing the teacher. I am very hopeful that it will work! She passed me long ago in Latin (I think I kept up with her for a week or two, LOL), so I need to pass her off onto others ;-) She has done a great job working on her own, but it would be nice for her to have interaction. Again, thank you (and your daughter) so much!!
                              Cheryl, mom to:

                              ds 24, graduated
                              ds 23, graduated
                              dd 15, 9th Grade
                              dd 12, 6th Grade
                              ds 10, 4nd Grade

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X