Latin III: Cicero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin III: Cicero

I am getting ready to register my son for his Latin class next year. He is currently in Latin II with MPOA and wishes to take Latin III next year. Currently I see two sections listed, but only one has a time assigned. The other is TBA. Is it intended to offer that section when a teacher/time is found or will it only be offered if the first section fills up? I ask because the time of the first section conflicts with my son's once a week high school co-op classes. He really wants to continue learning Latin with MPOA, but I am not sure we can give up the great benefits of our co-op in order to do so. We are really hoping the other class will be offered and will fit his schedule. We are also trying to schedule around a twice a week taekwondo class (late afternoon), but that is not as important to us as the co-op classes.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
    DS, 21, Physics and math major
    DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
    DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
    DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Re: Latin III: Cicero

momgineer,

Thank you very much for the message I am working to find an instructor for section B. Although not necessarily officially "recommended" AP Latin would be another option as well. Mr. Lange has had a good deal of success with students who have come from the Caesar and has even had some fairly average students (who were older) come from Fourth Form Latin into AP Latin. All of those students have done fairly well, although many students in AP Latin have been through the Cicero class first. The few that are in AP Latin this year who only have Caesar are doing pretty well thus far. Just another option to keep in mind. I will continue to work on finding an instructor for Cicero.

P.S. We are also offering an Ovid Translation class for Caesar and Cicero students which would be good prep for students who are going into Cicero OR AP Latin, since they will study lyrical rhythm and meter and learn how to identify certain rhetorical devices. Since most students will have recently completed Caesar or Cicero they will be able to study and see clearly the stylistic differences between prose and poetry (this is a particular emphasis of the class).

Thank you for your patience and I hope this helps a bit

Scott Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy
    [email protected]

Comment

Thank you for your suggestions. I am looking into Ovid but have conflicts with other summer plans (which I posted about in a new thread). I am curious about AP Latin. If he were to take that in 11th grade (he is earning an A in Henle 2:Caesar) what would his 12th grade Latin be? I would not want to start a new language since there would only be one year of it and I would like him to continue a study of some language, ideally Latin. I see that Highlands does AP Latin in 11th and follows with another Latin class in 12th. Are there any plans to offer a similar class in MPOA for those who finish AP Latin in 11th?
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
      (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
      DS, 21, Physics and math major
      DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
      DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
      DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

My oldest is only going into Henle 2 with the online academy so I am hoping that there will be a post-AP option by the time she gets there. Maybe your son could go back and do Cicero the next year if it worked in better with the schedule. I though AP was mostly Caesar and Vergil. If nothing comes through the place my daughter takes her Greek classes has independent study classes for post-AP Latin which is either Ovid or Cicero. Just thoughts...

Dorinda
        Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
        15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
        DD College Freshman
        DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
        DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
        DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
          Thank you for your suggestions. I am looking into Ovid but have conflicts with other summer plans (which I posted about in a new thread). I am curious about AP Latin. If he were to take that in 11th grade (he is earning an A in Henle 2:Caesar) what would his 12th grade Latin be? I would not want to start a new language since there would only be one year of it and I would like him to continue a study of some language, ideally Latin. I see that Highlands does AP Latin in 11th and follows with another Latin class in 12th. Are there any plans to offer a similar class in MPOA for those who finish AP Latin in 11th?
          Thanks for this. Sorry you have conflicts with Ovid; it will be a great class.

If you opt to take AP Latin you could then take Cicero. Some have done this. There are some ways in which the Cicero class is more challenging than AP and they cover 50 lines per week. They are completely different classes and can be taken in any order. I think Mrs. Cutrer recommends Cicero after Caesar, but we've had plenty of strong Henle Latin II Caesar students (even a student or two that is older coming straight from Fourth Form Latin) take AP Latin.

There are no plans to offer anything beyond AP Latin in the Online Academy. There is nothing wrong with taking AP Latin after Caesar then moving to Cicero.

Thank you!

Scott Piland
          Director
          Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Working...
          X