Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MPOA diploma questions

Good afternoon!

I am thinking ahead as my son will not be in 9th until the 2018 school year but I have several questions:

Are Early Christian Writings and Fundamentals of Faith each worth .5 credit since they are half year courses?

Will half credit courses be counted toward one of the 5 required online classes per year, or is this per full credit?

Regarding the College Prep American History..the Concise book is covered over two years through the MP packages. Is the whole book covered in the MPOA course?

My son is taking Algebra I in 2017 as an 8th grader, however, we are not sure if he will be taking the MPOA class or independently. If he does take it independently, would he have to take another class post Geometry through MPOA to count for the 3 required math credits?

For a student that may be awarded credit in 7th & 8th grade..how do the credits work in 9-12? Will the student still be required to take 5 courses through MPOA each year? Or could those MPOA classes in 7 & 8 count towards the required 5 courses per year..possibly lightening up the load of online classes? If so, would this reduce tuition? I am hopeful he will be able to take some dual-enrollment courses through our local community college his junior and senior year, or just senior year. This is why I was thinking a slightly lighter load the last two years would make more sense.

At this point we are not even sure if the MPOA diploma will be the best route for him, we have to work out some kinks before making a decision to apply, but it is certainly on our radar and we want to be making the smartest choices as much as we can early on.

Thanks for helping me think through all this. High school is uncharted territory for us.
    Katie

DS 17: Senior!
    DD 14: 10th
    DD 10: 6th
    Twin DD's 8: 3rd
    Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Re: MPOA diploma questions

Originally posted by Katie View Post
    Good afternoon!

I am thinking ahead as my son will not be in 9th until the 2018 school year but I have several questions:

Are Early Christian Writings and Fundamentals of Faith each worth .5 credit since they are half year courses?

Will half credit courses be counted toward one of the 5 required online classes per year, or is this per full credit?

Regarding the College Prep American History..the Concise book is covered over two years through the MP packages. Is the whole book covered in the MPOA course?

My son is taking Algebra I in 2017 as an 8th grader, however, we are not sure if he will be taking the MPOA class or independently. If he does take it independently, would he have to take another class post Geometry through MPOA to count for the 3 required math credits?

For a student that may be awarded credit in 7th & 8th grade..how do the credits work in 9-12? Will the student still be required to take 5 courses through MPOA each year? Or could those MPOA classes in 7 & 8 count towards the required 5 courses per year..possibly lightening up the load of online classes? If so, would this reduce tuition? I am hopeful he will be able to take some dual-enrollment courses through our local community college his junior and senior year, or just senior year. This is why I was thinking a slightly lighter load the last two years would make more sense.

At this point we are not even sure if the MPOA diploma will be the best route for him, we have to work out some kinks before making a decision to apply, but it is certainly on our radar and we want to be making the smartest choices as much as we can early on.

Thanks for helping me think through all this. High school is uncharted territory for us.
    Hello Katie!

Yes, 1/2 year courses are worth .5 credits.
    Yes, two 1/2 credit courses are needed to count as one course. However, if a student has already acquired enough credits from other sources, they may be able to space out their MPOA track and not necessarily take 5 courses at a time. If a student wishes to start the program in 9th grade and finish in 4 years, they need to take the 5 credit +2 extra curricular credit load per year.

The College Prep History Course covers most of the book, yes.

We require students to have taken Alegbra I & II, and Geometry. If students have completed those courses from somewhere else, and have a transcript/sample quizzes and tests and can pass the entrance exams, then those will count towards their math credits.

On 7th 8th grade classes, Mr. Piland would have to look at it. But yes. It can lighten the load. Each year they are in the diploma program they do 5 classes. They can graduate early or they can space it out and take more classes.

It sounds like you have some great questions and would benefit from calling Mr. Piland directly about your son's track.
    You can call him at 877-745-8866

Have a great day!

Catherine Timmis
    Instructor & Administrative Assistant

Comment

Re: MPOA diploma questions

Thank you, Catherine! This is very helpful information. I will be sure to call Mr. Piland if I need more help sorting this out.

Thanks again!
      Katie

DS 17: Senior!
      DD 14: 10th
      DD 10: 6th
      Twin DD's 8: 3rd
      Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Comment

Working...
      X