Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novare Earth Science

Mr. Piland,

There is a science discussion going on in the K-8 board. My question is if Novare Earth Science is done in 8th grade, would it count as 1/2 credit towards high school?

Also, is there a possibility of Statistics being offered as an alternative to Calculus for 12th grade math?

Thank you.
    PAX,
    Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse
    ds -24-Grad school: DeSales U. Physician's Assistant Program
    dd -21-Working and taking online courses for vet tech
    dd -12-7M along with some MPOA classes

"I am a product of long corridors, empty sunlit rooms, upstairs indoor silences, attics explored in solitude, distant noises of gurgling cisterns and pipes, and the noise of wind under the tiles. Also, of endless books." -C.S. Lewis

Re: Novare Earth Science

Hello,

Thank you very much for the message. Yes it would likely be counted as a 1/2 a hs credit. I doubt we will include statistics. Not impossible but not probable unless there is a significant demand. We have yet to have much of a demand even for Calculus.

Have a great day!

Scott Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Originally posted by spiland View Post
      Hello,

Thank you very much for the message. Yes it would likely be counted as a 1/2 a hs credit. I doubt we will include statistics. Not impossible but not probable unless there is a significant demand. We have yet to have much of a demand even for Calculus.

Have a great day!

Scott Piland
      Director
      Thank you Mr. Piland. What kind of grade keeping would you require to count towards a diploma? I would utilize the MPOA for science starting in 9th grade.

As a non-math minded person, I can understand the lack of interest in Calculus

I know Calculus is a requirement for the Diploma Program hence the question regarding a possible statistics class.

God bless the beginning of your school year!

I am editing to include this excerpt from the Novare newsletter. I may have mentioned it in passing previously:

"I do not recommend Precalculus as a senior course for grade-level students. We have found that the material is unnecessarily challenging for them. Statistics, on the other hand, is accessible to everyone and is useful preparation for nearly every college major. Third, when student numbers permit, it is useful to stratify the junior and senior math offerings for accelerated students one step further. Students with appropriate aptitude and interest can be placed in an honors or advanced precalculus course, following that with AP Calculus. Bright students who aren’t quite up for the extreme rigors of AP Calculus should take a separate precalculus class followed by a non-AP calculus course. Just as with vector/trig physics, there will be many students—even those in the accelerated pathway—who cannot handle AP Calculus. The non-AP course will be just right for them."
      Last edited by Benedictine15; 09-07-2016, 03:27 PM. Reason: Addition
      PAX,
      Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse

"I am a product of long corridors, empty sunlit rooms, upstairs indoor silences, attics explored in solitude, distant noises of gurgling cisterns and pipes, and the noise of wind under the tiles. Also, of endless books." -C.S. Lewis

Comment

So, Novare's new Earth Science book will be offered as an online class next year?
        Brit

Catholic mom to five:
        Ds '01 - rising 12th grader (MP - lit, MPOA Material Logic)
        Ds '03 - rising 9th grader (MP - lit, Latin, MPOA Introductory Physics)
        Ds '06 - rising 7th grader (MP - lit, classical/American studies, Book of Trees, Geo 1 Review)
        Dd '10 (Down syndrome) - SC 1 plus SC B/C fine motor work
        Ds '15 - making mischief - having fun with MP PreK

Comment

Originally posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
          So, Novare's new Earth Science book will be offered as an online class next year?
          Thank you very much for the question. Yes, that is the plan for next year.

Thanks!

Scott Piland
          Director

Comment

Originally posted by spiland View Post
            Thank you very much for the question. Yes, that is the plan for next year.

Thanks!

Scott Piland
            Director
            Darn Mr. Piland! You are adding another great class? This is tempting now. I will have to pray for a financial windstorm to hit 😂.

Glad to see it though.
            PAX,
            Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse

Comment

Working...
            X