Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dialectic/Socratic Dialogue in the MPOA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dialectic/Socratic Dialogue in the MPOA?

Mr. Piland,

We are one of the families hoping to apply to the HS Diploma Program when it launches for next Fall (2017). I spoke to you weeks back at the Sodalitas gathering. I'm currently trying to assess the likelihood that my (now 14 year old) son will be able to have his needs met in terms of dialogue and discussion through the online classes he'd take in that Diploma program. He's very much "bent" in that direction. In fact, I think he'd shrivel up and die on the vine being a self-directed student who logs onto a website and takes classes online, listening to talking heads and then staring into books to follow up with what the talking heads said to do. Sorry. Just cutting to the chase here. I love the idea of the MPOA and it appears to meet the need for my son for the coming years. But I don't want to see a deflated spirit here in my very social, very discussion-based kid. Will he sense "community", albeit web-based?

On another note....just thinking out loud....have y'all considered having a yearly gathering for those kids who are starting the MPOA? In fact, perhaps it could be linked up the summer Sodalitas gathering?

Thank you for your faithfulness to respond here on the Forum,

SusanP in VA

Re: Dialectic/Socratic Dialogue in the MPOA?

I want to tack on a vote for fostering a community for these MPOA high school students. It is too soon to know if we will participate in the program, but that is on my mind as well. I am also curious if it will operate as a cohort and if there will be a student forum for them to communicate with each other.

Thank you for all you are doing for the homeschool community.
    Christina

9th grader MPOA/state virtual school, 6th in private school, 4th hodgepodge homeschool (only girl), and a 4 year old pediatric cancer patient.

Comment

Re: Dialectic/Socratic Dialogue in the MPOA?

Originally posted by SPearson View Post
      Mr. Piland,

We are one of the families hoping to apply to the HS Diploma Program when it launches for next Fall (2017). I spoke to you weeks back at the Sodalitas gathering. I'm currently trying to assess the likelihood that my (now 14 year old) son will be able to have his needs met in terms of dialogue and discussion through the online classes he'd take in that Diploma program. He's very much "bent" in that direction. In fact, I think he'd shrivel up and die on the vine being a self-directed student who logs onto a website and takes classes online, listening to talking heads and then staring into books to follow up with what the talking heads said to do. Sorry. Just cutting to the chase here. I love the idea of the MPOA and it appears to meet the need for my son for the coming years. But I don't want to see a deflated spirit here in my very social, very discussion-based kid. Will he sense "community", albeit web-based?

On another note....just thinking out loud....have y'all considered having a yearly gathering for those kids who are starting the MPOA? In fact, perhaps it could be linked up the summer Sodalitas gathering?

Thank you for your faithfulness to respond here on the Forum,

SusanP in VA

Susan,

Thank you very much for the email. We very much try to avoid the "talking head" scenario and draw students into a teacher-led discussion, for example, with literature classes. With classes like AP American History or AP European History, necessarily it will be more of a lecture format, although we do try to draw students in. I mean mostly that it isn't a round table, but we do like to get the students involved in different ways using microphones, text responses, etc. There will be some of what you mention (read: lecture). I have some plans in the works re the gathering. No need to apologize. I hope this helps!

If you'd like to email me privately about any other questions then please feel free (email address is below). Thank you

Scott Piland
      Director
      Memoria Press Online Academy
      onlineacademy@memoriapress.com

Comment

Working...
      X