Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Online Academy a good fit for my student?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Online Academy a good fit for my student?

Hello, I have a son who will be in 8th grade for the 2016-2017 school year. Up until 7th grade he went to public school and we made the decision during the first semester of 7th grade to homeschool him. The first year of homeschooling was rough because it was new to us, we were unsure of the curriculum to use, and struggled with motivating our son to be accountable for carving out time for his studies. Both my husband and I work outside the home so want a curriculum that is more structured for him to help him with his time management skills. I would love feed back from parents on how your child has adapted to Online Academy. Specifically:

1) Do the instructors assign a lot of busy work?
    2) Are once or twice a week classes sufficient to teach the content? (I'm used to daily instruction per assignment.)
    3) Do the instructors engage the children, or is more lecture format?
    4) Are there a lot of problems with their internet?
    5) Are instructions and assignments clear so that the student can work independently outside of class times?
    6) Are the parent materials adequate for helping the student with questions or projects?
    7) How many classes should I enroll my child in for the school year? Is 6 too many?
    8) Should I consider using a different homeschool curriculum and just supplement with Online Academy classes?

I appreciate any feedback, advice, or tips!

Re: Is Online Academy a good fit for my student?

Originally posted by ShellyS View Post
    Hello, I have a son who will be in 8th grade for the 2016-2017 school year. Up until 7th grade he went to public school and we made the decision during the first semester of 7th grade to homeschool him. The first year of homeschooling was rough because it was new to us, we were unsure of the curriculum to use, and struggled with motivating our son to be accountable for carving out time for his studies. Both my husband and I work outside the home so want a curriculum that is more structured for him to help him with his time management skills. I would love feed back from parents on how your child has adapted to Online Academy. Specifically:

2) Are once or twice a week classes sufficient to teach the content? (I'm used to daily instruction per assignment.)
    5) Are instructions and assignments clear so that the student can work independently outside of class times?
    6) Are the parent materials adequate for helping the student with questions or projects?
    7) How many classes should I enroll my child in for the school year? Is 6 too many?
    8) Should I consider using a different homeschool curriculum and just supplement with Online Academy classes?

I'l answer the topics that apply to our family. My daughter is a rising 5th grader, and is currently in MPOA First Form Latin Camp - a review so that she's ready to go for Second Form.

After the very first class, she came out and said, "MOM! Can I do more of those?" She loves it.

1) In my opinion, MP doesn't do busy work at all. I haven't felt like any of the assignments in the FFL Camp class have been unnecessary, as it's a fast paced review.

2) Absolutely. I'm used to this format, actually, since my daughter is at the HLS Cottage School - she takes classes there once per week, and then keeps up with daily assigments/review at home. This is my preferred format, actually. (once per week instruction, and then daily assignments)

3) In our class, it's a balance. There are times when the instructor calls on the student -- some answers are typed into the chat box, while others, the instructor turns on the microphone for students to answer..

4) By their internet, I assume you mean on the MP end. I haven't had one hiccup with the streaming video, etc. If you check out the MPOA page, there's a list of tech requirements for your home computer. A few weeks before the class begins, there are tech sessions where you log in, test your mic, etc to make sure there aren't any issues on the first day of class.

5) ABSOLUTELY. We had our assignments for the entire class available about 2 weeks before the class began. I printed it out, highlighted the assignments, and stuck it in our FFL workbook. Easy peasy.

6)By parent materials, do you mean the teacher manual? You could always shoot an email or post in the class forum if you're having issues. The response time has been quick when I've noticed other folks posting there.

7) - Passing this to more experienced MPOA users

8) Hard to say. I've used MP from Day 1, and wouldn't dream of using anything else, so I'm a bit biased.
    Plans for 2019-20
    DD #1 : 24, heading to Chase Law School NKU Fall 2019
    DD #2 : 13 8A: HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
    DS #3 : 11 4A + Simply Classical 5/6; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DS #4 : 11 4A + Simply Classical 5/6; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DD #5: 7, MP 2 at home, HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DS #6: 5, MP K at home

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

We have been an online family for 3 years. I have had 2 students in the online classes, with 2 years of Literature, 3 years ofClassical Compostion, 3 years of Form Latin. We begin our 4th year in Sept with Latin and Bio.

1) I have not experienced any busy work with their assignments.

2) Yes, I have found 1 to 2 times a week classes sufficient. In fact this past year I was very busy renovating our home and left my 8th grader to study on his own, other than checking in on his grade. He really learned his latin and comp. Whew!

3) My kids really like their classes and seem to enjoy the interaction. My son is really sad that we can't fit in another year of comp this year. He loves it.

4) Our only problem with the internet is that we had to work around Net Nanny. It took a few weeks for us to figure out how to stop the glitches, which was totally on our end.

5) yes

6) I have used the teacher guides to help me do latin recitations and review lessons. I use the teacher guides to help me understand the CC content. The teachers explain it anyway, but if my ds forget to put in something I could just use the TG to see what it was he missed, such as a figure of speech.

7) Has your son taken other outsourced classes or online? My kids had a sharp learning curve with deadlines that first year, which was a great experience. My kids asked me not to have back to back online classes. We had to do that one year and it was way too much time all at once in online classes. They preferred just one per day. We have done up to 3 and that was ok for us.

8) NO! LOL

Comment

My daughter is a rising 7th grader and she will be starting her 3rd year of online classes. She has taken Latin, Literature, Classical Composition and Famous Men.

1) Do the instructors assign a lot of busy work? Not at all. There has been no busy work.
        2) Are once or twice a week classes sufficient to teach the content? (I'm used to daily instruction per assignment.) I like the once a week format. It makes scheduling the rest of her work easier and since most of the classes last 1 1/2 hours there is sufficient time for the instructor to cover the lesson.
        3) Do the instructors engage the children, or is more lecture format? In my experience the classes have been very engaging for the students. She has many opportunities to type in the chat box, respond to poll questions and speak on the mic.
        4) Are there a lot of problems with their internet? We've not had issues.
        5) Are instructions and assignments clear so that the student can work independently outside of class times? Absolutely, and there is a forum for each class to ask the teacher questions
        6) Are the parent materials adequate for helping the student with questions or projects? Absolutely. I've had no issues here.
        7) How many classes should I enroll my child in for the school year? Is 6 too many? My daughter takes 4. I agree with Mbelle that back-to-back courses are tough. I try to schedule one a day, but I also like to have some days with no class for our personal flexibility. When she has two classes, she prefers a break in between. I think 6 classes could work, but it would depend on the student.
        8) Should I consider using a different homeschool curriculum and just supplement with Online Academy classes? I would not. I would not use the class if I were not using the curriculum because the online classes have deadlines, so they do become the priority.

Last edited by jenniferjb; 08-01-2016, 07:01 AM.
        2018-2019:
        DD 14 | 9th | Foerster Alg, MPOA (Biology, Novel, Henle, AP US, Composition), HSC (Didache Intro)
        DS 12 | 6M | Singapore, AAS, MPOA (Composition)
        DD 10 | 5A | Singapore, AAS, MPOA (Composition)

Comment

This was our first year with FFL on MPOA. My daughter loved it. We are enrolled in three classes for 7th grade.

I completely agree with all the moms above! And six classes will be a bit of overload, just my opinion...I am very new to it all.
          PAX,
          Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse
          ds -24-Grad school: DeSales U. Physician's Assistant Program
          dd -21-Working and taking online courses for vet tech
          dd -12-7M along with some MPOA classes

"I am a product of long corridors, empty sunlit rooms, upstairs indoor silences, attics explored in solitude, distant noises of gurgling cisterns and pipes, and the noise of wind under the tiles. Also, of endless books." -C.S. Lewis

Comment

Thank you to everyone who so kind to respond! In order to not sign my son up for multiple classes on a day, we will be limited to take only 2 or 3 classes. How would I fit an entire curriculum of science, math, history, and English in only 3 classes? Since we started looking into this late, many classes were filled. The math and science classes meet twice a week. It seemed like many of the 8th grade curriculum class times that were still available, were primarily on Tuesday and Thursday, which is why I ended up with multiple classes on those days. I definitely understand why only taking one online class a day would be nice, however, I'm struggling on what classes I would cut and how I could make this a complete curriculum for him with only 3 online classes. Any suggestions? Thanks

Comment

Thank you to everyone who so kind to respond! In order to not sign my son up for multiple classes on a day, we will be limited to take only 2 or 3 classes. How would I fit an entire curriculum of science, math, history, and English in only 3 classes? Since we started looking into this late, many classes were filled. The math and science classes meet twice a week. It seemed like many of the 8th grade curriculum class times that were still available, were primarily on Tuesday and Thursday, which is why I ended up with multiple classes on those days. I definitely understand why only taking one online class a day would be nice, however, I'm struggling on what classes I would cut and how I could make this a complete curriculum for him with only 3 online classes. Any suggestions? Thanks
              They do fill up quick once the summer hits!

I can only add that you could not do a complete curriculum with only three online classes. There will have to be some non-MPOA courses added in. For me, I want an experienced instructor for Latin, Science (starting in 8th grade), Classical Studies, and Classical Composition. Our math is another program we do separately. So, I will add 7th grade Literature and Catechism to do on our own. I am hoping by high school to be able to swing five MPOA classes depending if she applies to the Diploma Program.

Sorry I could not be more helpful. I would just pick the top three classes you are not comfortable doing on your own, and start there. Once you get a sense of how classes are run, you could add more the following year.

Aside note: don't forget about the great DVD's that are available too!
              Last edited by Benedictine15; 08-01-2016, 12:51 PM. Reason: Aside note
              PAX,
              Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse

"I am a product of long corridors, empty sunlit rooms, upstairs indoor silences, attics explored in solitude, distant noises of gurgling cisterns and pipes, and the noise of wind under the tiles. Also, of endless books." -C.S. Lewis

Comment

Thank you very much for the question. Glad to help.

Normally we do not have any issues with most students taking more than one class per day. The main thing we recommend (if possible) is to provide a little space between the classes so that the student can have a bit of a break. I hope that helps!

Scott Piland
                Director
                Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Part of the issue may be that as they get older, there aren't as many sections of each class available. This year I had the luxury of choosing between several options for most of her classes, but I expect there will be slightly less flexibility as she progresses. I think you choose your classes and then try to find the schedule to suits you best. Sometimes you get what you want and sometimes you just have to make it work. I personally prefer 2 classes 3 times a week to having classes all 5 days, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't schedule 5 days if that was my only choice. If my husband and I both worked outside the home, I wouldn't hesitate to sign dd up for 6 classes. It is likely she will eventually take more than the 4 she currently takes. Given that your son recently left public school, he will probably be fine with multiple classes per day.
                  Last edited by jenniferjb; 08-02-2016, 12:04 PM.
                  2018-2019:
                  DD 14 | 9th | Foerster Alg, MPOA (Biology, Novel, Henle, AP US, Composition), HSC (Didache Intro)
                  DS 12 | 6M | Singapore, AAS, MPOA (Composition)
                  DD 10 | 5A | Singapore, AAS, MPOA (Composition)

Comment

Most families use the online academy to provide expert instruction in subjects where they feel this is needed/desirable. The rest of the children's curriculum is from Memoria's published materials (the online academy uses these same materials). So you could register for the classes that you feel are most important to have an expert teacher in, and then simply use the rest of the curriculum at home for the other classes. Some of Memoria's courses also offer DVD lessons which would help with the time factor since you work in addition to homeschooling (I do so as well!).
                    Jennifer

2018-2019
                    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
                    DS-12 (6M)
                    DS-10 (SC3)
                    DD-8 (MP2)
                    DD-6 (SC2)
                    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Comment

Shelly...

I apologize. It just realized after re-reading your op that you said you worked. I also work part-time. I think Mr. Piland made a good suggestion in that he could do more than one class a day...just space them if possible.

There are some recorded clips of classes that you can also view to get a sense of how class is run. I think you just have to request which subject you would like to see.

Keep us posted! Many of us are right there with you.
                      PAX,
                      Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse

Comment

Originally posted by Benedictine15 View Post
                        Shelly...

There are some recorded clips of classes that you can also view to get a sense of how class is run. I think you just have to request which subject you would like to see.
                        Actually, the samples are free to view. Here's a link to them: https://www.memoriapressacademy.com/...ename=previews
                        Michael
                        Memoria Press

Comment

Gratias Michael!
                          PAX,
                          Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse

Comment

Working...
                          X