High School Composition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High School Composition

Good Morning! I have a 9th grade student for whom I am seeking the right placement in a writing class. She has completed Fable, Narrative, and about 3 or 4 lessons in Chreia/Maxim. Honestly, I don't really know how to evaluate her writing skills. The teacher who has been doing the yearly narrative assessments that are required of homeschoolers in Ohio thinks she is writing very well; I think she should be doing better. I think we are struggling in this area because I am not confident in what I should be expecting of her, as well as the fact that writing does not seem to just spring out of her like it does for some of her peers who seem to write prolifically -- she writes what is necessary and not too much more.

My question is: would High School Composition l or High School Composition ll be a better fit for her? Thank you in advance
    Ora et labora,
    Sandra

DD (17) - grade 12 (Divine Comedy, Precalculus, AP Latin, Senior Thesis, Fundamentals of the Faith, American Government, and Economics through MPOA Diploma Program)

DD (13) - grade 9 (Algebra ll, Fourth Form Latin, Logic l & ll, High School Comp. ll, through MPOA. Aeneid/ History of the Romans, Geography lll, and Biology at home)

Re: High School Composition

Hello!,

Thank you for the question. I'll be glad to help.

Your student would definitely not be ready for High School Composition II. That would start with Common Topic, which means your student wouldn't have been through Refutation/Confirmation. Those stages are really essential stages of the progymnasmata.

What I would recommend is registering for what we call Middle School Composition II. We can take the "Middle School" label off of the transcript; That is really not terribly important. The more important thing is that your student is progressing systematically and in manageable increments through Chreia/Maxim and Refutation/Confirmation. The majority of students in that class are 8th grade, but there are always 9th grade students in the class who are in the same situation. The only other option in the Online Academy would be to take High School Composition I - which means that the entire first semester is going to be an exact repeat of what your student has just done.

I would definitely recommend Middle School Composition II. For your student's grade report and transcript we will relabel it "Composition II" and then you will be set for High School Composition II next year. We can relabel that "High School Composition III - again, the content and mastery of the content is the important thing.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to help. I hope this helps you

Scott Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy
    onlineacademy@memoriapress.com
    (877) 745-8866

Comment

Re: High School Composition

Thank you so much for your answer - this helps a lot!
      Ora et labora,
      Sandra

DD (17) - grade 12 (Divine Comedy, Precalculus, AP Latin, Senior Thesis, Fundamentals of the Faith, American Government, and Economics through MPOA Diploma Program)

DD (13) - grade 9 (Algebra ll, Fourth Form Latin, Logic l & ll, High School Comp. ll, through MPOA. Aeneid/ History of the Romans, Geography lll, and Biology at home)

Comment

Working...
      X