Henle 2 Readiness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Henle 2 Readiness?

I have enrolled my soon-to-be-14 y.o. son in MP's Online Henle Latin 2: Caesar course for this fall and I'm wondering if he's adequately prepared.

He started with Prima Latina in 2nd Grade, and progressed competently through Latina Christiana and the Forms with one exception--the last semester of 4th Form was a bit of a struggle. I feel this is due to us moving this spring, and I was not closely monitoring his progress. He wasn't memorizing the vocabulary, but he did well on the translation exercises in the homework. (For homework, he had access to the vocabulary lists.) He finished the Fourth Form text, but his performance on the final exam was dismal, mostly because he hadn't memorized the vocabulary nor the participles/gerundives/irregular verbs, plus he was distracted by the move.

I enrolled him in MPOA Latin 2 because I'm also a Latin learner and I'm having trouble keeping up with him. So I thought it best if he learned from an expert who can answer his questions in a timely manner.

Since we have a month before MPOA starts, what could he do to help prepare for Henle Latin 2?

Is there enough review built in to the first part of Henle Latin 2 to help a student overcome his weak performance in the second half of 4th Form? If not, any suggestions for a next step?

I could just have him repeat 4th Form, but I think that would be discouraging for him; he's not a good repeater. His attitude is to say, "I've already done that." But, I don't want to waste money and time on a class if he's not ready for it. This will be our first year trying the Online Academy. He's also enrolled in HS Composition 2. Taking online classes will be an adjustment for him. I'm also concerned because these are homework-intensive classes.

I'd really appreciate some wisdom from parents/teachers who have students who've transitioned from the Forms to Henle 2.

Thanks!!

Re: Henle 2 Readiness?

Originally posted by AJnKS View Post
    I have enrolled my soon-to-be-14 y.o. son in MP's Online Henle Latin 2: Caesar course for this fall and I'm wondering if he's adequately prepared.

He started with Prima Latina in 2nd Grade, and progressed competently through Latina Christiana and the Forms with one exception--the last semester of 4th Form was a bit of a struggle. I feel this is due to us moving this spring, and I was not closely monitoring his progress. He wasn't memorizing the vocabulary, but he did well on the translation exercises in the homework. (For homework, he had access to the vocabulary lists.) He finished the Fourth Form text, but his performance on the final exam was dismal, mostly because he hadn't memorized the vocabulary nor the participles/gerundives/irregular verbs, plus he was distracted by the move.

I enrolled him in MPOA Latin 2 because I'm also a Latin learner and I'm having trouble keeping up with him. So I thought it best if he learned from an expert who can answer his questions in a timely manner.

Since we have a month before MPOA starts, what could he do to help prepare for Henle Latin 2?

Is there enough review built in to the first part of Henle Latin 2 to help a student overcome his weak performance in the second half of 4th Form? If not, any suggestions for a next step?

I could just have him repeat 4th Form, but I think that would be discouraging for him; he's not a good repeater. His attitude is to say, "I've already done that." But, I don't want to waste money and time on a class if he's not ready for it. This will be our first year trying the Online Academy. He's also enrolled in HS Composition 2. Taking online classes will be an adjustment for him. I'm also concerned because these are homework-intensive classes.

I'd really appreciate some wisdom from parents/teachers who have students who've transitioned from the Forms to Henle 2.

Thanks!!
    I've moved your post to the Online Academy forum and am asking the MPOA director to chime in too!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      I've moved your post to the Online Academy forum and am asking the MPOA director to chime in too!
      Bumping :-)

I haven't heard any response. Perhaps not many have experience with Henle Latin 2??

Here are what I see as my options:
      1) Keep him in MPOA Henle Latin 2: Caesar and hope there's enough 4th Form Review that he can keep up.
      >> PROs: He'll have an expert teacher able to answer questions and guide him. He will learn accountability to another adult and be required to stay on schedule.
      >> CONs: Possible frustration if he's not able to keep up; in which case it would be an expensive waste of time that may kill any further interest in studying Latin.

2) Drop the Henle 2 class and repeat the second half of 4th Form this fall; then try Henle 2 on our own in the spring.
      >> PROs: Saves us $600. He'd have more time to master the material before moving on to translations.
      >> CONs: Mom-intensive. I'll have to be diligent in diagnosing/prescribing his 4th Form makeup lessons, and I'm not a Latin expert. Having to repeat lessons with a non-expert teacher may also kill his motivation in studying Latin.

He's come so far in his Latin studies. I don't want him to lose what he's learned. I don't know if having another semester to review forms with Mom will be helpful or harmful; or if he'd be better off jumping into the translations class with incorporated review taught by a master teacher.

Thanks!

Comment

Hello,

My sincere apologies for the delayed response.

In the Henle Latin II: Caesar class the instructor definitely does some review, but I'm doubtful that it will be enough if there is a comprehensive lack of understanding on the things you mentioned. The first 16 lessons of the Henle Latin Second Year text are review of Units 8-14 of the Henle First Year Text, which does a good review, but again, I'm not sure it is enough. I'm inclined to have him either wait and have you review Fourth Form with him or to repeat Fourth Form Latin with Meredith Cutrer this year (she has 6 spots left in her section). We definitely do not want you to make an expensive mistake and want the best for your student (and his future Latin studies).

If you'd like to shoot me an email with additional questions please feel free to send an email to [email protected].

Thank you.

Scott Piland
        Director
        Memoria Press Online Academy
        [email protected]

Comment

Working...
        X