Science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Science

I am excited to see that you have added an Earth Science course using the Novare text. Do you have plans to eventually add other courses using the Novare texts? I am particularly interested in the Novare advanced track.
    DD 16 | 11th
    DS 14 | 8th
    DD 12 | 7A

12th Year HSing, 8th Year MP

Re: Science

Thanks for sharing that news Jennifer...that is awesome!

Mr. Piland..,

If I may add one more question to Jennifer's...

What are the most important sciences to take in high school? Is it just a matter of preference? My daughter does not appear to be going the route of pursuing science in college (if she goes). I am thinking:

8th grade: Earth Science 1/2 credit
    9th grade: Physical Science 1/2 credit
    10th grade: Biology 1 credit
    11th grade: Chemistry 1 credit
    12th grade: Anatomy and Physiology 1 credit (or switch and do Chemistry last)

Total: 4 credits

Is Physics a *must have* course?
    Last edited by Benedictine15; 06-12-2016, 05:08 PM.
    PAX,
    Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse
    ds -24-Grad school: DeSales U. Physician's Assistant Program
    dd -21-Working and taking online courses for vet tech
    dd -12-7M along with some MPOA classes

"I am a product of long corridors, empty sunlit rooms, upstairs indoor silences, attics explored in solitude, distant noises of gurgling cisterns and pipes, and the noise of wind under the tiles. Also, of endless books." -C.S. Lewis

Comment

I am not Mr. Piiland, but I would put physics on the high school must do list. I would swap out physics for the physical science in 9th. My understanding is that the text is algebra based and intended for 9th grade. i didn't realize that Memoria Press is offering earth science. I have been trying to decide between that or the physics book for 8th as I do want her to at least get in a trig based physics class before she is done with high school.

Dorinda
      Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
      15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
      DD College Freshman
      DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
      DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
      DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
        I am not Mr. Piiland, but I would put physics on the high school must do list. I would swap out physics for the physical science in 9th. My understanding is that the text is algebra based and intended for 9th grade. i didn't realize that Memoria Press is offering earth science. I have been trying to decide between that or the physics book for 8th as I do want her to at least get in a trig based physics class before she is done with high school.

Dorinda
        Thanks Dorinda...

This is not my forte!

She is not strong in math. She is starting Pre-algebra in 7th but it is her least favorite subject and she struggles at times. Although she really improved this year.

The only science we have done so far is nature studies. In 7th, we are doing botany (trees) and Tiner's *Intro to Biology*.

So, she has had no physical science yet at all!

I think having a medical background always has me leaning more towards biology, chemistry, and anatomy. I had to take physics in relation to ultrasound...but eek!...that was painful. I hardly use it now.
        PAX,
        Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse

"I am a product of long corridors, empty sunlit rooms, upstairs indoor silences, attics explored in solitude, distant noises of gurgling cisterns and pipes, and the noise of wind under the tiles. Also, of endless books." -C.S. Lewis

Comment

I wouldn't sell your daughter short as not being good at math if she is going to be in pre-algebra in 7th grade. That is a pace that gives her time to take calculus in high school and the honors math track when I was in High school. I know some now try to push it a year earlier, but pre-algebra in 7th isn't anything to sneeze at.

I can say that I remember very little about middle school science besides staring out the window and wishing I could be somewhere else. I do remember that my lab partner in 7th grade said she was going to be a doctor (and both parents were doctors), but she bailed out on me when we had to dissect a frog because she thought she was going to throw up. I went onto mechanical engineering and I don't know what she did. My daughter hasn't done much science...a couple of the apologia books and the Tiner biology this year, but I still feel like she is up to the introductory physics book as it only assumes algebra being taken concurrently. I had intended for her to do earth science this year as a 7th grader, but the book was delayed. Now I have to decided what to put in 8th grade. All those nice plans keep getting messed up...

Dorinda
          Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
          15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
          DD College Freshman
          DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
          DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
          DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Thanks for the smile Dorinda. I seem to hold back from challenging her. Maybe because she is my youngest and so sensitive?

Yes...plans mixed up again! I am wondering if Physical Science is needed before Physics? If so, I need to rethink things...again.

@Jennifer...I derailed your op...sorry. I will make sure you are not lost in all these science ponderings : )
            PAX,
            Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse

Comment

Originally posted by jenniferjb View Post
              I am excited to see that you have added an Earth Science course using the Novare text. Do you have plans to eventually add other courses using the Novare texts? I am particularly interested in the Novare advanced track.
              Thank you very much for the message! We are not planning on the Novare advanced track, although that may be an option if there is enough demand for it. We think the texts are great!

Thank you!

Scott Piland
              Director
              Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Working...
              X