Diploma Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diploma Program

Could a student still be accepted to the Diploma Program if they have not had pre-Algebra yet? My soon-to-be 8th grader struggled with Math for many years and we just this year found a program that has helped him tremendously. But, he's behind and won't be ready for pre-Algebra until 9th grade.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
    DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD10: SC3
    DD7: MPK

Re: Diploma Program

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
    Could a student still be accepted to the Diploma Program if they have not had pre-Algebra yet? My soon-to-be 8th grader struggled with Math for many years and we just this year found a program that has helped him tremendously. But, he's behind and won't be ready for pre-Algebra until 9th grade.
    jen1134,

Thank you very much for the email. My guess is probably not. All students who are accepted into the program should already have taken PreAlgebra prior to beginning the program. Currently there is an entrance test for rising 9th graders that assumes a decent mastery of PreAlgebra. All diploma program students must complete Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and PreCalculus. I suppose it is possible that a student take PreAlgebra over the summer between 8th and 9th, but it's probably not likely. There is nothing hindering you from using the structure of the Diploma Program though, and we would encourage you to use the whole thing or whatever parts of it seem helpful/doable for you.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you and I'll be glad to help

Sorry!

Scott Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy
    [email protected]
    (877) 745-8866

Comment

I thought that might be the case. Maybe his younger brothers will be ready when the time comes
      Jennifer

Comment

I saw that the subject/credit notes now say that it's possible to take Pre-Algebra in 9th, just not for credit, and that pre-Calc is no longer required for the diploma program. Does the entrance test still assume pre-algebra knowledge?
        Jennifer

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
          I saw that the subject/credit notes now say that it's possible to take Pre-Algebra in 9th, just not for credit, and that pre-Calc is no longer required for the diploma program. Does the entrance test still assume pre-algebra knowledge?
          Jen,

Thanks for this. Yes, we made an adjustment. The entrance tests will have some specific instructions. If students are going to be taking PreAlgebra in 9th they will still need to take some of the math tests, just not the PreAlgebra or Algebra tests. We will still encourage students to take Pre-Calculus either with us, on their own at a coop, or another academy. We will likely offer it but we also wanted to free up a couple of electives in case students want to take another route. Plenty of students take Alg I, Geometry, and Alg II and obtain admission into great schools. But students should feel free to take Pre-Calculus, Calculus, and they can use electives for it.

These are great questions. I am going to send out an email with some details and include a video that will explain some of these things as well.

Thanks!

Mr. Piland
          Director

Comment

Using VideoText Algebra a student does not need to take Pre-Algebra any longer, so can a student who is not taking Pre-Algebra in 8th grade be admitted to the Diploma Program now with a plan to use VideoText for Algebra in 9th grade?
            JeJe Greer
            Mom to:
            Stella 9th grade with half MP and half Schole Academy classes
            Clara (Combination of SC 5/6 and 4th New User)

Comment

As I just posted in another thread, the student does not need pre-algebra before being admitted. This trajectory with VideoText would work but the student would have to work hard to complete the entire VideoText program (including Module A) in two years.

Peace,
              Paul
              Paul Schaeffer
              --
              Academy Director

Comment

Working...
              X