X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Benedictine15
    • Oct 2015

Logical progression of CC courses/Philosophy credits

Dear Mr. Piland,

You know I had to be the first to torture you a bit .

I have two questions actually.

If a student in 7th grade takes Middle School Compostion I, would the next step be Middle School Compostion II in 8th or would you recommend High School Compostion I in 8th grade? Or if they take Middle School Compostion II in 8th grade, would they move into High School Composition II in 9th grade? I am trying to figure out credits, etc. and what online courses we would need to take.

My second question is when I looked into Classical Studies V: Classical Philosophy, Fundamentals of the Faith, and Moral Philosophy, I did not see any credits listed under any of descriptions. Am I missing something?

Thank you, as always, for your time.
    Last edited by Benedictine15; 04-26-2016, 03:19 PM. Reason: Addition
    PAX,
    Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse
    ds -24-Grad school: DeSales U. Physician's Assistant Program
    dd -21-Working and taking online courses for vet tech
    dd -12-7M along with some MPOA classes

"I am a product of long corridors, empty sunlit rooms, upstairs indoor silences, attics explored in solitude, distant noises of gurgling cisterns and pipes, and the noise of wind under the tiles. Also, of endless books." -C.S. Lewis
  • trob
    • Apr 2016

Re: Logical progression of CC courses/Philosophy credits

I will have an eighth grader next fall that has not taken any writing classes from MP. I was wondering about High School Comp I, too.
    Tina R
    DS-14 (9th grade) -9M, MPOA Intro to Physics

Comment

• spiland
      Director, MPOA
      • Jun 2008

Benedictine15,

Thanks for the question. It would be:

7th: MS Comp I
      8th: MS Comp II
      9th: HS Comp II
      10th: HS Comp III

That finishes out the progymnasmata.

The general rule on high school level classes is that if it is a semester class then it is worth 1/2 a high school credit; if it is a full-year class then it is worth 1 high school credit. Thank you!

Scott Piland
      Director
      Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

• spiland
        Director, MPOA
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by trob
        I will have an eighth grader next fall that has not taken any writing classes from MP. I was wondering about High School Comp I, too.
        Hello trob,

Thank you very much for the question. For your 8th grade student I would highly recommend the High School Composition I or Foundations for Modern Composition (whichever works best for your schedule). We think and feel strongly about students going through the Classical Composition program; when you have a student in 8th grade, you could take either one of these classes and be fine. About half the students who make up the current High School Composition I class are in 8th-9th grade, and it works really well for them.

I hope this helps!

Scott Piland
        Director
        [email protected]

Comment

• Benedictine15
          • Oct 2015

Originally posted by spiland
          Benedictine15,

Thanks for the question. It would be:

7th: MS Comp I
          8th: MS Comp II
          9th: HS Comp II
          10th: HS Comp III

That finishes out the progymnasmata.

The general rule on high school level classes is that if it is a semester class then it is worth 1/2 a high school credit; if it is a full-year class then it is worth 1 high school credit. Thank you!

Scott Piland
          Director
          Thank you Mr. Piland,

I would like to follow up with a clarification. Would the above recommendation for Comp online course still be the same recommendation even in the diploma program? I noticed it states HS Comp I, II, and III are required.

Also, in regard to your comment on the credits, you are referring to the classes I mentioned?

I want to make sure I understand. I appreciate your patience.
          PAX,
          Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse

"I am a product of long corridors, empty sunlit rooms, upstairs indoor silences, attics explored in solitude, distant noises of gurgling cisterns and pipes, and the noise of wind under the tiles. Also, of endless books." -C.S. Lewis

Comment

• spiland
            Director, MPOA
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Benedictine15
            Thank you Mr. Piland...

I will follow up with just one more clarification. Would the above recommendation for Comp still remain the same for the diploma program since it specifically mentions HS Comp I, II, and III in the requirements?

Also, in regards to your comment on credits, you are also referring to the classes I mentioned?

Just wanted to make sure I understand. I appreciate it.

Sure, no problem. This would be true even for the Diploma Program. You would simply use MS Comp I and MS Comp II as two of your classes that you would bring over to the Diploma program. We will accept three classes from 7th and 3 from 8th. Also, yes, I was referring to the classes you mentioned.

Hope that helps!

Comment

• Benedictine15
              • Oct 2015

Sure, no problem. This would be true even for the Diploma Program. You would simply use MS Comp I and MS Comp II as two of your classes that you would bring over to the Diploma program. We will accept three classes from 7th and 3 from 8th. Also, yes, I was referring to the classes you mentioned.

Hope that helps!
              Very much...thank you!
              PAX,
              Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse

Comment

• Katie
                • Apr 2014

Hope that helps!
                Mr. Piland,

My rising 7th grade son will be in MS comp II in the fall. So he will take HS comp II in 8th, III in 9th, then will be completely done with required writing courses for the diploma program? Am I understanding this correctly?

Is there something else recommended past III or will that suffice with regards to writing instruction?

Thank you!
                Katie

DS 18, DD 15, DD 12, twin DDs 9

Comment

• spiland
                  Director, MPOA
                  • Jun 2008

Katie,

Thank you very much for the question. Glad to help! This is correct. Your student would:

7th:Middle School Composition II
                  8th: High School Composition II
                  9th: High School Composition III

This would satisfy the requirement for the Diploma Program should your student apply and be accepted. Other classes for later years might be:

10th: Foundations for Modern Composition or High School Literature III: Austen/Shakespeare (serves as a writing class as well for literature)
                  11th: AP Literature and Composition
                  12th: Senior Thesis (Fall only class

It could look differently depending on how you structure classes and/or whether or not you are in the Diploma Program. You might not be interested in AP or some of the other classes, but no matter what you are on an excellent track, which gives you lots of options. I really like that, personally. It gives you some flexibility.

I hope this helps and gives you some confidence going forward! Have a great evening!

Scott Piland
                  Director
                  [email protected]

Comment

• Benedictine15
                    • Oct 2015

I am happy to learn the Austen/Shakespeare class also includes writing. My original thought was HS II, HS III, Modern Foundations, then AP Lit/Comp in high school. I like that there is another option.

So many good choices...it's hard to decide ! Looking forward to them.
                    PAX,
                    Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse

Comment

• Katie
                      • Apr 2014

Katie,

Thank you very much for the question. Glad to help! This is correct. Your student would:

7th:Middle School Composition II
                      8th: High School Composition II
                      9th: High School Composition III

This would satisfy the requirement for the Diploma Program should your student apply and be accepted. Other classes for later years might be:

10th: Foundations for Modern Composition or High School Literature III: Austen/Shakespeare (serves as a writing class as well for literature)
                      11th: AP Literature and Composition
                      12th: Senior Thesis (Fall only class

It could look differently depending on how you structure classes and/or whether or not you are in the Diploma Program. You might not be interested in AP or some of the other classes, but no matter what you are on an excellent track, which gives you lots of options. I really like that, personally. It gives you some flexibility.

I hope this helps and gives you some confidence going forward! Have a great evening!

Scott Piland
                      Director
                      [email protected]
                      Thank you, Mr. Piland. I like options and flexibility! I have a trillion more questions for you but will wait for a fresh brain and new thread tomorrow.
                      Katie

DS 18, DD 15, DD 12, twin DDs 9

Comment

Working...