Grammar school math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grammar school math

Math is one of those subjects where we are perpetually behind and always go in to the summer. I’d love to sign my girls up for 4th grade math through MPOA but they would always have to miss one of the days and likely another due to other commitments. So, here is another request for a self-paced option. It would be oh so lovely to have access to math teaching videos..And even better if there were some sort of grading service for accountability! Or just a way to take quizzes and tests like the other self-paced options. I understand that is tough with a subject like math but I know the brilliant minds at the mothership could make it happen 😉.
    Katie

DS 18, DD 15, DD 12, twin DDs 9

Personally, I would not want to hand off math to a self paced option or math videos at the fourth grade. MPOA with a teacher is too young for me, but at least with a teacher they can ask questions and stay more on track. Fourth grade also is really young to expect them to absorb instruction for multiple days of lessons in one sitting. Going into the summer at that age isn’t a super big deal and might actually be helpful to keep them from forgetting the content over a long summer break. We go into the summer all the time. If you want to take breaks because of other commitments then self paced isn’t going to help you all that much anyway. The mothership is great, but you can teach your children fourth grade math with Rod and staff - even the grading!!
    Dorinda

Plans for 2022-2023
    16th year homeschooling, 13th year with Memoria Press
    DD College Sophomore
    DS 11th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata, MPOA Divine Comedy
    DS 9th grade - Vita Beata Literature/Classical Studies
    DS 4th grade - 4A with Right Start F, Second Form Latin, AAS 5

Comment

Agreed. My preference would be for me to teach my girls. I have successfully taught my older two R&S math through 6th grade so I know it’s possible. I don’t prefer having my children in online classes but I’m so thankful it’s an option in this season of our lives. Math would get done consistently if I could outsource this one. For a plethora of reasons, but the main being caring for my mother who has terminal cancer (and lives 40 minutes away) My middle daughter is currently two grades behind in math. The last couple of years in our homeschool have been very tough with getting things done. I don’t want my twins to fall behind like my other daughter so I’d gladly outsource math to MPOA if I could make it work with our schedule. I LOVE Rod and Staff and want to stick with it. (We tried Teaching Textbooks for a semester last year and it was a disaster) But teaching every single lesson to three students everyday isn’t realistic for me at this moment. I suppose it would be nice to just have the teaching videos more than anything..just for support.
      Katie

DS 18, DD 15, DD 12, twin DDs 9

Comment

Originally posted by Katie View Post
        Agreed. My preference would be for me to teach my girls. I have successfully taught my older two R&S math through 6th grade so I know it’s possible. I don’t prefer having my children in online classes but I’m so thankful it’s an option in this season of our lives. Math would get done consistently if I could outsource this one. For a plethora of reasons, but the main being caring for my mother who has terminal cancer (and lives 40 minutes away) My middle daughter is currently two grades behind in math. The last couple of years in our homeschool have been very tough with getting things done. I don’t want my twins to fall behind like my other daughter so I’d gladly outsource math to MPOA if I could make it work with our schedule. I LOVE Rod and Staff and want to stick with it. (We tried Teaching Textbooks for a semester last year and it was a disaster) But teaching every single lesson to three students everyday isn’t realistic for me at this moment. I suppose it would be nice to just have the teaching videos more than anything..just for support.
        So, I tried to outsource math last year with the MPOA, and it didn't work that well for us. The teacher was excellent, but it just wasn't a good fit for my daughter (close in age to your girls.) Sheer logistics was an issue, and I've learned that online classes just aren't a good idea for her. Like you, I tried TT to outsource, and yes, disastrous. My kids actually begged me to teach them.

This year is going to be a BIG focus on math. Like you, we've fallen behind, and we've had some busy years with lots of stress.

What about outsourcing something else, or easing up on another subject? (alert - unpopular opinion coming up) We're taking a break from Latin and downshifting literature options to be able to build in more time for math and getting it done. Would something like that work?
        Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
        DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
        DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
        DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
        DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
        DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

Working...
        X