Classical Studies series and years offered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical Studies series and years offered

Hello. I know this has been discussed before, but I can’t find the post. I can see on the MPOA page which years CS III, IV and V will be offered by MPOA. However, where can I find a description of each of these for future planning purposes? I know that IV is Greek plays because that is the one currently on MPOA. It would be great if they could also list a description of the other two, even on the off years, so we can plan. Thanks!
    Nicole - mom - Doctor of Pharmacy, UMKC 2002, M.S. Bioethics, 2020, Univ. of Mary.
    2020/2021 - 4th year homeschooling and with MP
    DS - 8th, 14 yo
    DS - 8th, 13 yo

Maybe these two posts (and links) will partially answer your question...and someone else can answer the rest?

https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...udies-rotation

https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...ies-iii-and-iv
    Last edited by Beorn; 11-23-2021, 04:47 PM.
    21/22 - 4th MP Year, Dad & Quadrivium Teacher
    S - 7, 2nd MP @ HLN & Home
    D - 5, K MP @ HLN & Home
    S - 4, Jr K MP @ Home

Comment

Beorn Thanks. Those are the threads I remembered but couldn’t find. They answered my questions.
      Nicole - mom - Doctor of Pharmacy, UMKC 2002, M.S. Bioethics, 2020, Univ. of Mary.
      DS - 8th, 14 yo
      DS - 8th, 13 yo

Comment

Did you figure out what will be offered next year? It didn’t seem obvious to me.
        Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
        15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
        DD College Freshman
        DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
        DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
        DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
          Did you figure out what will be offered next year? It didn’t seem obvious to me.
          I think the talk was to offer both III and V next year, and the following year IV and VI - with the understanding that I and II are offered every year. We may be lucky and things may have developed in a better direction, since pairing classes means that my kids will miss one, unless I ask them to take III and V at the same time!
          Let's see when MPOA is ready to give us an update!
          DS (16)
          DD (15)
          DS (7)

Comment

I think this is the official page you're looking for: https://www.memoriapressacademy.com/classical-studies/

After we put it up, it was suggested on this forum to do Classical Studies III and V one year and Classical Studies IV and VI on alternating years. I like that idea. I'm going to try to have Classical Studies III and V in 2022. We will update the page above as we work on updating the site for the 2022 registration season.

Right now our classical studies courses are as follows (III and IV are reversed from what MP does curricularly; that's something we need to fix at MPOA):
            Classical Studies III: City of God & Cicero's Republic and The Laws
            Classical Studies IV: Greek plays (Aeschylus, Euripides, Sophocles)
            Classical Studies V: Philosophy (affectionately known as "Metaphysics")
            Classical Studies VI: Art & Architecture

Peace,
            Paul
            Paul Schaeffer
            --
            Academy Director
            Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Thank you for the fast reply, pschaeffer! I think that, besides switching the numbers for III and IV, it would be very helpful if that page on the website kept a detailed description of each class goals and reading list) even in the off years.
              Is it really really crazy to think of III and V done at the same time? We're having a little intro to Aristotle's Physics and Aquinas right now with this course, and we'll likely do its companion as well after this one ends next month. So the kids will have been exposed to *something* already. What's the point of view or focus of CS III? CS I and II are a mix of history and literature, CS IV is literature - what about CS III? What's the approach? If one had to skip III or V, how should one choose? Thank you for helping us think this through!
              DS (16)
              DD (15)
              DS (7)

Comment

Has anyone tried CS III - City of God, Cicero, The Laws with 9th graders? I’m trying to picture my kids reading Augustine next year and not so sure. They are doing well in the MPOA CSII (book of Ancient Romans) this year. Well, they are doing fine content wise. It is a learning year for the workload and getting used to more strict deadlines and such... one kid has a poor grade because he rushed through the midterm test and got all the answers backwards. (Insert big sigh here!) But anyhow, if they are good content wise in CSII as 8th graders, would they really be ready for CSIII as ninth graders?
                DS - 8th, 14 yo
                DS - 8th, 13 yo

Comment

My daughter took CS3 as a senior and did fine with it. I am trying to read through City of God with the Vita Beata parents group discussion and it is a very challenging read. I wouldn’t recommend it for ninth graders except in very special circumstances. Even the abridged version is huge at 542 tiny print pages plus 36 pages of introductory material. I keep having to go back and reread because I lose the point he is trying to make.
                  Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
                  DD College Freshman

Comment

That's what I was afraid of. I don't have that abridged version, so I cannot evaluate it. Maybe I should order it and look through it. That presents a problem, then. How does a student take CS III, IV, V and VI if they are all at such an advanced level that they wouldn't be appropriate for 9th graders?
                    DS - 8th, 14 yo
                    DS - 8th, 13 yo

Comment

Originally posted by Nikkirxd View Post
                      That's what I was afraid of. I don't have that abridged version, so I cannot evaluate it. Maybe I should order it and look through it. That presents a problem, then. How does a student take CS III, IV, V and VI if they are all at such an advanced level that they wouldn't be appropriate for 9th graders?
                      Paul mentioned above that they're looking to switch III and IV so that they line up with MP's homeschool progression. The regular track places Greek Tragedies (CSIV) in 10th grade, but the accelerated track uses it in 9th grade. So, as long as your students are ready for the themes, they should be fine doing CS IV in 9th.
                      Jennifer
                      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
                      DS18: Almost done!
                      DS17: MP, MPOA
                      DS15: MP, MPOA
                      DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
                      DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
                      DD9: SC3
                      DD6: MPK

Comment

In order for the CS course offerings to be every other year, then it would only work if CS III and CS IV were both appropriate for 9th graders. We will see what they come out with in a couple of months, I guess. (I can't believe it's already December, and we will be registering for MPOA in just about two months!)
                        DS - 8th, 14 yo
                        DS - 8th, 13 yo

Comment

The two year rotation is certainly better than the original plan of a 3 year rotation, but I sure wish both CS III & IV could be offered each year. Greek Tragedies is definitely the easier of the two.
                          DD 17 | 12th
                          DS 15 | 9th
                          DD 13 | 8th
                          2021-2022

13th Year HSing, 9th Year MP

Comment

Are people actually thinking that there students will be able to fit four years of classical studies into their schedules? I am hoping to know when they will be offered, but my older kids would not have had room in the schedules for CS3-6 even if they had been available and not canceled every year. I am hoping solely for a known, published schedule of when they will be offered without so many offered that none of them have enough students to actually run. I feel like most of the MPOA growth is from students who have not been doing MP since elementary therefore the number of students even considering these upper level classical studies is small.
                            Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
                            DD College Freshman

Comment

Dorinda,
                              my son has done MP since 2nd grade. He is in 9th now enrolled in the diploma program with MPOA. I absolutely intend for him to take four years of classical studies! It may be a heavy load, but so far he is handling it. He will take four years of Latin, math, science, classical, composition (although senior year will only be a semester of senior thesis), and history/gov (Am Gov and political philosophy senior year). He will for sure be taking Dante- whether that fills in a classical spot depends on if something other than metaphysics is offered his sophomore year. He is in 9th grade literature this year and will also take Dante and that might be all the literature he does (of course Greek Tragedies is really a literature course too!). He will be taking a light literature class at co-op too so I’m not concerned about that. He will also take a year of logic (material and rhetoric) and hopefully a semester of Econ but that we will see what we can fit in. He is also taking 4 years of Catholic theology using Didache but that is a fairly light load- read a chapter, do the questions, take a test. I’m not assigning essays there- had to cut something. He will also be taking a non academic theology course at co-op focused more on personal spiritual growth each year.
                              This year he is taking Algebra 2, Biology, Theology 1 all at home with me and 9th grade lit, Greek Tragedies, Chreia/Maxim and Ref/Con, Henle 2, and Medeival history with MPOA. His co-op lit also happens to be medieval lit so it overlaps with 9th grade lit and simply serves as review- no essays for co-op this year. I’m still working out 10th grade depending on classical offerings. He will take Precalculus, Advanced Chem, and theology 2 at home with me and AP US history, Christian Latin, High School Comp 2, Material logic (and maybe also rhetoric), and either CSIII (the Cicero one) if offered or Dante if only metaphysics is offered. He will do literature at co-op which will probably focus on American History but again, is a gentle class.
                              Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                              DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                              DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                              DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
                              (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
                              DS, 20, Physics major
                              DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                              DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
                              DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Working...
                              X