Which Class to Choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Class to Choose?

We are finishing up our second week of school, and I’m finding that I can’t keep up with a kindergartner, third grader, seventh grader, and one year old. I am consistently not getting enough time with my seventh grader. It seems that the best way to deal with this is to sign him up for an online class, giving me a little less to juggle. I happened to see the email yesterday that classes haven’t begun yet, so there’s still time to enroll him.

The question is how to choose. The most obvious would be Third Form Latin. I’m learning alongside him and not keeping up. However, we do use the streaming videos. Would an online class be similar to what he’s already getting through the videos? He worries that he wouldn’t be able to keep up in a class, especially if he needed more than one week to work through a lesson. Has this been anyone’s experience?

We’re already “behind” in US history, science, and Christian studies because they get shoved to the side in favor of keeping up with Latin, math, writing, and literature. Would it be better to enroll him in one of those courses? I’m thinking that a teacher passionate about one of those subjects would be favorable to my rushed effort at teaching them (or not teaching them at all, as the case may be).

I would love some insight into how others have chosen which classes to outsource and what you’ve found to be the most beneficial for your student.

DS, 11 (MP 7M)
    DD, 8 (MP 3M)
    DD, 5 (MP K)
    DS, almost 1! (chewing on books and knocking stuff over)

I will be in a similar situation next year. A couple of thoughts (and mind you I have only had a child take 1 online class, but I have taken both the adult FFL and SFL class). The live classes are very beneficial, but yes, you do have to "keep" up. I actually think I can "teach" with the videos and answer key (some of the translations get tricky, but I know you can come to the forum that help, if necessary). I too worry that by that level she may need more than one week to work on a lesson. So, I think I have already decided we will work through it at home.

I guess my advice is yes, whatever you "pick" will kind of become the thing that you make sure it gets done. (and how independent could your student be with an online class? - this varies by class and student). What subject would truly lighten your load and which might make you feel more anxious because the child really has to keep up in that class? To help narrow the choices further, I might look at your list of choices and what times/days the class meets. If there is one that would be a "struggle" to make it work - don't even consider it....move on to another choice. I hope that helps! I'll be right there with you next year!
    Christine

(2021/2022)
    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Thanks for the good advice! The more I think about TFL in an online setting, I feel like while it may take the teaching aspect off my plate, I’m still going to be managing his work in that class, with the added stress for him of keeping up. I think there is value in having that kind of stress. At some point, he really does need to learn to be responsible to another adult. But as for lightening my load, I’m not sure TFL with MPOA would actually do that. We looked at the Guerber class, which he was interested in and I think he could be pretty self-sufficient with, but it meets during piano lessons. Oh well, I think we’re going to need to wait another year for MPOA.
      DS, 11 (MP 7M)
      DD, 8 (MP 3M)
      DD, 5 (MP K)

Comment

Can you block schedule your time with him? So on Mondays, your time is Latin, Tuesdays it’s math, etc. That would be your lesson day and then he’s responsible for the related work until your next meeting for that class. At the next meeting, you review his prior work, do any drills, and teach the next lesson.

One caveat is that I would include review of his Latin workbook and math work at the beginning of each day’s lesson time. Since they’re cumulative skills, you don’t want to reach the next meeting and realize he has to redo everything. #askmehowIknow
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
        DS18: Almost done!
        DS17: MP, MPOA
        DS15: MP, MPOA
        DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
        DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
        DD9: SC3
        DD6: MPK

Comment

That's a good idea, jen1134. I really need to work on getting him to be more independent. He relies on me directing him each day. We've used a checklist system for the last few years, where I put together each day's work on a list for him. I missed out on ordering one of those elusive HLS planners , so I downloaded the digital planner and had it printed and bound at Office Depot. We started using it this week and I see improvement in our day. We planned out the week on Sunday afternoon and he had input into what he would be responsible for each day. Anything that doesn't get finished by the end of school time becomes "homework." I think just the act of him writing down his daily assignments has made him more aware of what needs to be done, as well as what he's capable of doing on his own.
          DS, 11 (MP 7M)
          DD, 8 (MP 3M)
          DD, 5 (MP K)

Comment

Working...
          X