The eternal question - app or browser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The eternal question - app or browser?

I beg for your patience! This is something I will never remember, no matter how many times I ask - though I could blame Adobe and products always getting tweaked...

Is it better to be in class with the Connect app or with the browser version? My kids have done the open houses in the browser, but they'll get asked by Connect if they'd like to download the app. Would that be an even newer version than what we installed last year? Anyway, which way is better (more secure, displays all features, etc.)?

Thank you!
    DS (15)
    DD (14)
    DS (7)

After posting this I thought, hmmm - wait, they have tech tip on the class website. Sure enough, it answered my question! Copying here the very basic for laptop/desktop, just in case it's useful to others:
    • App: The best way to join the live classes is by using the Adobe Connect app, available for Mac and PC. It can be downloaded here: Mac or Windows Once installed, the room should automatically open in the app, but if it opens in the browser, click the question mark on the top right and select “Switch to Desktop App”.
    • If using the less preferred way of joining through the browser, we highly recommend that all of our students use the Google Chrome web browser. There are less issues all-around because Chrome is constantly updated to keep up with changes.
    DS (15)
    DD (14)
    DS (7)

Comment

Yes, the app is definitely the preferred way. It seems all of the students this year that have had audio issues have been using the browser.
      Paul Schaeffer
      --
      Academy Director
      Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

One thing I do not understand is why links on the class page always open a browser tab automatically, instead of the app - even the recordings will do that, even though the app is installed and working. The solution I have adopted for now is to create Favorites in the app for each class address, so that the kids don't click on the link in the class page to enter the live classroom, but go to it through the app. I just don't know if this is normal!
        DS (15)
        DD (14)
        DS (7)

Comment

The added benefit of that solution, I might add, is that when Moodle crashes (we know it will!), we will not panic one bit
          DS (15)
          DD (14)
          DS (7)

Comment

I think that has to do with a browser setting but I haven't been able to find it yet. I'm struggling with it too.
            Paul Schaeffer
            --
            Academy Director

Comment

I thought so, too - Brave must automatically open in a tab anything that can be opened in a tab. I'm combing through the Settings!
              DS (15)
              DD (14)
              DS (7)

Comment

I just asked my daughter about this issue and she told me what she did. Are you still looking for a solution? I didn't want to type it all out if you had solved it already. :-)
                Samantha

Comment

Originally posted by smillard00 View Post
                  I just asked my daughter about this issue and she told me what she did. Are you still looking for a solution? I didn't want to type it all out if you had solved it already. :-)
                  Well, my solution is simply to have them to join the class by opening the app instead of going through Moodle and the class page... I'd be curious to know what your daughter does, if you can spare the time
                  DS (15)
                  DD (14)
                  DS (7)

Comment

We have found that Macs often have issues installing the app. Detailed instructions for getting around that are here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...dtAqF9aOE/edit

Samantha, I'd love to hear what she did if it was different.

Peace,
                    Paul
                    Paul Schaeffer
                    --
                    Academy Director

Comment

Working...
                    X