Timing Political Philosophy and Classical Studies III and V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Political Philosophy and Classical Studies III and V

I'd like to understand whether there is an ideal order in which to take all these classes: is it better to do CS III and V before tackling PF? I know there are no official prerequisites, but I'd like to look at them from the point of view of the student, how a student could maximize his understanding.
    Bonus question: Economics - is there a sweet spot where to place it, or it really doesn't matter?
    Thanks!
    DS (15)
    DD (14)
    DS (7)

I'd put CS V last if at all possible. It deals with the first causes and as such is a difficult topic to engage with.

Ideally I'd do CS III first, then Political Philosophy. Economics requires about the same level of intellectual aptitude and engagement as Political Philosophy, so I'd pair those together and make it a nice year.

Peace,
    Paul
    Paul Schaeffer
    --
    Academy Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Thank you! Then I really hope MPOA can start offering every CS every year: as things stand, we will have to do CS V (in 11th) before CS III (in 12th).
      DS (15)
      DD (14)
      DS (7)

Comment

Me too! At a minimum I hope to offer CS III and V and CS IV and VI concurrently to make the cycle only two years.

Peace,
        Paul Schaeffer
        --
        Academy Director

Comment

CS VI is a reality?!? So this incoming year it's CS IV, then you're hoping to offer CS III and V in 2022-23, and CS IV and VI in 2023-24? For us that would mean missing CS V completely, as it would make more sense to do III first But if you offered CS III and VI concurrently instead, and then CS IV and V, we'd catch them all - I would totally ask my kids to double up on CS the year with III and VI 😁
          DS (15)
          DD (14)
          DS (7)

Comment

Not yet, but I'm hoping by the time we get there it will be. We are going to be offering CS III and V, and then IV and VI. You could just tell your child they have to do CS V during freshman year of college
            Paul Schaeffer
            --
            Academy Director

Comment

Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
              Not yet, but I'm hoping by the time we get there it will be. We are going to be offering CS III and V, and then IV and VI. You could just tell your child they have to do CS V during freshman year of college
              Ah but this is cruel to destroy my little plan like this! Well, we will read Kreeft's history of philosophy, watch/read some Prof. Cuddeback, and hope we make up for the loss of CS V somewhat. At least my youngest is going to get the full feast
              DS (15)
              DD (14)
              DS (7)

Comment

Ok- remind me of what the numbers are. We’ve been following the homeschool path so far and have finished 1 and 2 and are enrolled in Greek Tragedies next year for 9th. That is IV, right? III is Cicero? V is metaphysics? VI will be art & architecture?
                So for one who has done Homer, Virgil, and will be doing Greek Tragedies in 2021/2022, will Cicero be available for 2022/2023? If so mine could do Cicero in 10th, VI in 11th and V in 12th???? That would be a perfect fit. I was worried about trying to do metaphysics in 10th. I really hope this works out. The advanced classical track along with extra courses like moral philosophy, economics, political philosophy and government are the number one reason I am using MPOA! These are the classes I can’t teach myself and that are so beneficial.
                Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
                (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
                DS, 20, Physics major
                DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
                DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
                  Ok- remind me of what the numbers are. We’ve been following the homeschool path so far and have finished 1 and 2 and are enrolled in Greek Tragedies next year for 9th. That is IV, right? III is Cicero? V is metaphysics? VI will be art & architecture?
                  So for one who has done Homer, Virgil, and will be doing Greek Tragedies in 2021/2022, will Cicero be available for 2022/2023? If so mine could do Cicero in 10th, VI in 11th and V in 12th???? That would be a perfect fit. I was worried about trying to do metaphysics in 10th. I really hope this works out. The advanced classical track along with extra courses like moral philosophy, economics, political philosophy and government are the number one reason I am using MPOA! These are the classes I can’t teach myself and that are so beneficial.
                  Yes, Debbie, Cicero and St. Augustine = CS III, Greek Tragedies = CS IV, Metaphysics/Intro to Philosophy = CS V, Art and Architecture = CS VI. So far, given pschaeffer 's current plans and hopes, your rising 9th grader seems to be on track for a home run, and a grand slam at that I agree that CS and those semester classes are gems.
                  DS (15)
                  DD (14)
                  DS (7)

Comment

Working...
                  X