Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Algebra I and II

Hello,

For the next one coming up, we are trying to decide between VideoText or PH Algebra I. The main deciding factor is the likelihood of needing to use MPOA for Algebra II. Since PH is used in MPOA is it best to stick with that or would using VT for Algebra I and then moving to PH for Algebra II still work? Does VT adequately prepare a student for PH Alg. II?
    Callista

Hello.

There isn't a direct correlation in the material taught in VT versus PH Algebra I. I believe we recently had a question about quadratic equations not being taught in Units A-C in VT, but they are taught in PH Algebra I. So if your student goes from VT to PH for Algebra II, there will be an assumption in PH that he has studied quadratic equations. That's just one example. I'm thinking that if you want to do Algebra II with MPOA, you might want to consider doing PH Algebra I (if you can find a book) with the use of the instructional videos we have with Cindy Davis teaching.

Tanya

Comment

Agreed with tanya, if you are planning to do Algebra II with MPOA, I would suggest going through Algebra I with the PH book (if you can find it) instead of VT. It will save you and your student some time and catch up work between Algebra I and II classes.
      2021/2022 (Planned) - 4th MP Year
      MP Dad & HLN Science Teacher/Tutor
      S - 7, 2nd Grader MP @ HLN & Home
      D - 5, Kindergartener MP @ HLN & Home
      S - 3, Junior Kindergartener MP @ Home

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
        Hello.

There isn't a direct correlation in the material taught in VT versus PH Algebra I. I believe we recently had a question about quadratic equations not being taught in Units A-C in VT, but they are taught in PH Algebra I. So if your student goes from VT to PH for Algebra II, there will be an assumption in PH that he has studied quadratic equations. That's just one example. I'm thinking that if you want to do Algebra II with MPOA, you might want to consider doing PH Algebra I (if you can find a book) with the use of the instructional videos we have with Cindy Davis teaching.

Tanya
        Got it! I needed someone to just make the decision for me in this one area. This is what we will do. Fortunately, I have been able to get a copy of both PH algebra books. Thanks, tanya , and Beorn
        Callista

Comment

Originally posted by Callista View Post

Got it! I needed someone to just make the decision for me in this one area. This is what we will do. Fortunately, I have been able to get a copy of both PH algebra books. Thanks, tanya , and Beorn
          Callista

Sounds like something I would say about someone else just needing to make the decision for me!

Since you have both PH books already, it makes the decision even easier in my mind. The books are solid and PH Algebra II definitely builds on PH Algebra I. The books are getting more difficult to find and I don't think PH has any plans to print any more of the Classic version anytime soon.

Glad to be of help. Although in all honesty it is extremely easy to just agree with tanya on just about anything she says and be correct.

Comment

Michael! Do you mean that it is easier to agree with me because it shuts me up? That's what all my people here would say!

Tanya

Comment

Michael! Do you mean that it is easier to agree with me because it shuts me up? That's what all my people here would say!

Tanya
              Ha! Well, I will let you be the judge of what my meaning was, tanya. Although this does make me think of Gandalf's reply to Bilbo's good morning. "What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"

That said, would I ever say anything like that about you, the Queen 🐝 of MP Curriculum, who is still working on some items I am eagerly awaiting: the completion of the TS program, developing out the Upper School Math and Science curriculums, the Lord of the Ring trilogy literature guides, and then the Silmarilliion too, of course, don't forget. Oh, and then all the Greek Forms too when Mitchell has a spare moment, too.

I am getting super excited for Louisville in July. It just hit me today how fast it is coming up and I am so looking forward to it. Then, today's CDC announcement - we may actually be able to all be in the same room....and see all of the smiling faces!

Comment

You literally made me a list? How kind! Now I will know how to spend my time. I need a bracelet that says, "What would Michael like me to do today?"

I love this Gandalf quote. Do you have those books memorized?!!

And I can't wait to see you in July! I will also be at FPEA in a week and a half if you want to come to Orlando and hang out for a few days.

Tanya

Comment

I can make lists or use Google Sheets, you can decide, tanya. Think of all that space for my requests that Google Sheets could afford. And easily updated with new requests too. No bracelet needed, I can just send email reminders as I make an edit.

Unfortunately, I have more quotes memorized from Seinfeld than from Tolkien. I am working to switch that order in the next generation.

I'll have to settle for a wave as you fly over us on your way South. Not much free time between now and Louisville for me. Though Orlando does sound good right about now! Plus, I think there are at least two Guitar Centers and a Sam Ash Music Center down there for your shopping convenience during FPEA.

Comment

Oh, Dave is coming! And he will hit all music stores. But he really loved it when I did Nashville because he is a huge fan of all those vintage stores there. He still talks about guitars he saw there 3 years ago.

Comment

Oh, Dave is coming! And he will hit all music stores. But he really loved it when I did Nashville because he is a huge fan of all those vintage stores there. He still talks about guitars he saw there 3 years ago.
                      The vintage guitar stores around here are amazing. I went from knowing zero luthiers when I lived up North to needing more fingers and toes to keep count of all the luthiers I now know. You two are welcome down anytime, you might could would even have a place to stay and substitute teach a primary lesson or three. Imagine how many more vintage guitars are down here now after three years and the pandemic.

Comment

I will keep that in mind, but I think I'll wait until you need grammar school help. Primary isn't my gig.

Comment

Working...
                        X