Guerber US History with MPOA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guerber US History with MPOA?

I would love some input. I have a rising 6th grader that will be taking Latin, Classical Composition, and Middle Science II through MPOA next year. I also have her enrolled in the Gerber US History. I am trying to decide if I should keep that on her schedule next year or drop it and simply have her do it at home. I originally enrolled her because we have such a hard time fitting in history in our homeschool. It is always in the plan but one of the first things to go when life gets hectic. That said, my daughter is a solid independent learner and strong reader. After looking into the course, it looks like something she could complete well on her own (even if life gets crazy for me.)

I would appreciate any input on this matter. Especially from those who have taken this course from MPOA and those who have taught it at home.

As a side note, I want to make sure my children have a through understanding of history but will be the first to admit, that as an engineer, math/science/Latin are where I naturally direct my efforts in our home school. This is where I thought having the instruction from MPOA would teach her and hold me accountable.

I appreciate your time and thoughts!
    2020-2021
    7th year Homeschooling
    4th year MP
    Home + MPOA
    5th, 2nd, 2nd, K

I think each family is unique. Has your student taken MPOA classes this year? Has it made your year more fruitful or more stressful? For our family, I signed my similarly aged student up for only 1 MPOA class, because I have heard that sometimes even though the teacher is teaching, keeping up with the class can become stressful. We did Fable and I have been pleasantly surprised that the amount of "help" from me has been minimal. It comes in the support of downloading assignments, etc. I do think my child is now ready to do that for herself. (in fact I was late in adding one.......?). I did enroll in two classes next year, Narrative and Middle School Science 1. I read a great description of the class from a previous parent and I fully expect it to be a little more involved. As a result, I know that will be our limit. We personally homeschool so that on a random Wednesday, on a beautiful day, we can just NOT do school. The more "outside" classes you take, the more you are beholden to someone else's schedule. Maybe for your family that accountability and pressure keeps you motivated. I'm just suggesting you really consider your family life, goals, etc. Since Guerber is scheduled in the homeschool 7th grade core though, with that load, I think I might delay that class, but that's just my mom opinion.
    Christine

(2021/2022)
    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, MPOA Narrative)
    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4
    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2 or SC4? (still debating!)

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

howiecram thank you for your response! I really appreciate it. My daughter has taken up to 4 MPOA classes in a year and has handled that well. I think more than time commitment, my question is about if this specific class is a good use of MPOA? I am wondering if anyone can compare this class with MPOA and without it? ☺️ Thank you again for your thoughtful response!
      2020-2021
      7th year Homeschooling
      4th year MP
      Home + MPOA
      5th, 2nd, 2nd, K

Comment

It's hard to find someone with an experience of both situations. We did it at home because in general my philosophy was to keep MPOA more for high school. Think of it this way: if she does it on her own, at the very least you will still have to check (and grade, if you grade) her homework, quizzes, and tests. She may be independent enough that she can work day by day with the lesson plan, but those regular tasks will still fall on you. An experience with a good MPOA teacher can make any subject a real pleasure, there is interaction with a class - which in the case of history is always an interesting thing, there may be extra projects or essays (the class description does mention projects), but you hand every responsibility to the teacher. If you feel like you have incomplete information to make your final call, perhaps you could ask MPOA to connect you with the teacher, and he could give you more details.
        DS (15)
        DD (14)
        DS (7)

Comment

Mrs Bee, thank you! That is helpful advice!
          2020-2021
          7th year Homeschooling
          4th year MP
          Home + MPOA
          5th, 2nd, 2nd, K

Comment

If you want a more robust American History course or if you want to be certain it will be done, go with MPOA. If you want the streamlined approach that is in the curriculum guide, do it at home. Many times the MPOA courses will have additional work that is not required in the curriculum guides. The course as written in the curriculum guide is perfect when a student is also taking Classical Studies, but on it's own is pretty lean. MPOA has to consider that this may be the only history some students are taking so they have to make the course more robust.

I enrolled my youngest in the MPOA course because we struggle to get to American history. However, I pulled her out after seeing the course page. The course looked amazing, but there was extra reading (3-4 historical fiction books) and assignments, and we did not have the extra time to devote to the class. I wanted something simpler. That said, she still has not gotten much American History done. I know she will get it in high school, so I try not to stress about it too much. Take comfort in knowing you are not alone.
            DD 16 | 11th
            DS 14 | 8th
            DD 12 | 7A

12th Year HSing, 8th Year MP

Comment

jenniferjb thank you for your thoughtful response! Your input and experience was just what I was looking for. It is helpful to know that the course load will be heavier with MPOA. Thank you!
              2020-2021
              7th year Homeschooling
              4th year MP
              Home + MPOA
              5th, 2nd, 2nd, K

Comment

Hello.

I absolutely believe that a motivated student can successfully complete the Guerber course independently so I wouldn't hesitate there if that suits your schedule best. But there is a huge advantage to an MPOA class - the passion and engagement that comes from a live teacher. I found that my students were so much more interested in the classes they took with live teachers than when I just monitored their work at home. I did try to be as exciting as those outside teachers, but somehow it just didn't work as well. Since your daughter is having the live experience in three of her classes, maybe American history is something you can talk about together since it is not a course you would have to do a lot of prep work for.

Anyway, you didn't really need my help. You got great help here already. I just felt compelled to speak in favor of the relationship/dialogue between live teacher and student.

Tanya

Comment

tanya Thank you! Your input is always valued and appreciated! I agree with you of the benefits of MPOA! I also love MPOA for the live teacher interaction, the positive peer pressure, and the accountability just to name a few ☺️ Thank you for your time!
                  2020-2021
                  7th year Homeschooling
                  4th year MP
                  Home + MPOA
                  5th, 2nd, 2nd, K

Comment

Working...
                  X