No announcement yet.

Self paced courses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for this update, hermione310 -- I was able to pass it along.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
    10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
    7th • HLN & Home
    4th • HLN & Home
    Me: Third Form Summer Intensive MPOA

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

pschaeffer , I am just wondering if it is possible to know who the instructor is for the self paced classes? I am looking specifically at SFL, but I think it would be good to know for all of them. Thanks!!
      ~Michelle

DD 13 (MP 8 - 4FL and Ref/Con through MPOA)
      DS 11 (MP 6 w/MPOA)
      DS 5 - MP K (My first Kindergartner with MP!!!)
      DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Comment

Hi Michelle,

Those taking self-paced courses do not have access to a live teacher. These courses offer people the resources of the Online Academy that are not driven individually, in order to try to make that content accessible to more people. You can see more details on the description pages of each self-paced course. We are working on making a truncated example course available for people to view to see what a self-paced course is like.

Peace,
        Paul
        Paul Schaeffer
        --
        Academy Director
        Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
          Hi Michelle,

Those taking self-paced courses do not have access to a live teacher. These courses offer people the resources of the Online Academy that are not driven individually, in order to try to make that content accessible to more people. You can see more details on the description pages of each self-paced course. We are working on making a truncated example course available for people to view to see what a self-paced course is like.

Peace,
          Paul
          I think everyone is wondering which teacher is teaching the actual lessons.
          Jennifer
          Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS17: MP, MPOA, HSC
          DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC
          DS14: MP, MPOA
          DS12: Finishing SC 4 >> Moving on to mix of SC 5/6 & 7/8
          DD10: Finishing 3A >> Moving on to miix of 5M and SC7/8
          DD8: SC3
          DD6: MPK

Comment

3Blessings and jen1134, I assumed that these self-paced classes use the same instructional videos used for the DVDs, so that for Traditional Logic you have Mr. Cothran, etc. If this is correct, then surely tanya would know who recorded the Second Form DVDs (here's their MP page.)
            DS (15)
            DD (14)
            DS (7)

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post
              3Blessings and jen1134, I assumed that these self-paced classes use the same instructional videos used for the DVDs, so that for Traditional Logic you have Mr. Cothran, etc. If this is correct, then surely tanya would know who recorded the Second Form DVDs (here's their MP page.)
              Oh I actually hadn't thought of that. We do have the Second Form DVDs. I believe Jessica Watson teaches them. The videos on those are short though, so I had assumed these classes would take more of an MPOA format (1.5 hours), where they are being led through a few exercises and such instead of just the DVD video. I was curious as to who the actual instructor was on the videos, I realize that students don't have access to a live teacher while they're taking the class, but I had assumed a MPOA instructor had recorded the videos for the class. Would you mind clarifying?

Thanks!!
              ~Michelle

DS 11 (MP 6 w/MPOA)

Comment

Originally posted by 3Blessings View Post

Oh I actually hadn't thought of that. We do have the Second Form DVDs. I believe Jessica Watson teaches them. The videos on those are short though, so I had assumed these classes would take more of an MPOA format (1.5 hours), where they are being led through a few exercises and such instead of just the DVD video. I was curious as to who the actual instructor was on the videos, I realize that students don't have access to a live teacher while they're taking the class, but I had assumed a MPOA instructor had recorded the videos for the class. Would you mind clarifying?

Thanks!!
                Maybe I'm wrong and there is a different video production - when last year they offered Traditional Logic for free, I thought I was seeing the same videos as the DVDs, so that's where my assumption came from.
                DS (15)
                DD (14)
                DS (7)

Comment

That was my assumption as well --- to me, the self-paced benefit would be grading of material, etc.

I'll be interested to see more information.
                  Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
                  DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy - equestrian
                  DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                  DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
                  DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School -equestrian
                  DS6 - 7 - MP 1 - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Hmmm....I assumed they would be like another provider's self-paced courses which are recordings of a live class.?
                    Jennifer
                    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS17: MP, MPOA, HSC
                    DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC
                    DS14: MP, MPOA
                    DS12: Finishing SC 4 >> Moving on to mix of SC 5/6 & 7/8
                    DD10: Finishing 3A >> Moving on to miix of 5M and SC7/8
                    DD8: SC3
                    DD6: MPK

Comment

All sorts of assumptions here I don't think the class descriptions say anything definitive, so the class samples will be useful. I would also like to understand whether a grade report is issued or not.
                      DS (15)
                      DD (14)
                      DS (7)

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post

Hmmm....I assumed they would be like another provider's self-paced courses which are recordings of a live class.?
                        That was what I had kind of assumed. Even if it wasn't a recording of a live class for privacy reasons I was imagining a teacher walking through many of the exercises, and emphasizing areas that are often trouble spots with the student like they do in live classes. I was so impressed by Mrs. Strickland's live FFL for adults classes, I was envisioning a format like that. The DVD is only 20-30 minutes a week so I was thinking that they would do more drill and recitation in the MPOA version to make it the hour and a half of a regular MPOA class. No idea, but I am excited to learn more.
                        ~Michelle

DS 11 (MP 6 w/MPOA)

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post

I think everyone is wondering which teacher is teaching the actual lessons.
                          Well that makes sense! We are in fact using the same videos as the DVD lessons. While I would like to use MPOA recorded videos there are a host of issues there, probably least of which is privacy! I love the idea of drill videos but unfortunately I can't release that overnight.

A grade report will be issued upon request.

Peace,
                          Paul
                          Paul Schaeffer
                          --
                          Academy Director
                          Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Working...
                          X