Introductory Physics vs. Advanced Physics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introductory Physics vs. Advanced Physics

MPOA lists two physics classes, both for grades 9-12. There is "Introduction to Physics" and "Advanced Physics." Advanced Physics doesn't have much of a description and doesn't even list the text used. They both only require Algebra I for a pre-requisite, and both say they are challenging classes. So, does the student take "Introduction to Physics" first then later take "Advanced Physics?" Or, is "Advanced Physics" more of an honors version of the Introduction class, and you just choose one of them?

I am hoping that MPOA will offer more advanced science classes as the diploma program gets going. For my physical / chemistry science and math minded kid, I'm having trouble planning five total MPOA classes for the senior year. If AP chemistry and Calculus II were offered, this would be a lot easier!!!

Thanks!
    Nicole - mom - Doctor of Pharmacy, UMKC 2002, M.S. Bioethics, 2020, Univ. of Mary.
    2020/2021 - 4th year homeschooling and with MP
    DS - 7th
    DS - 6th

Nicole, I think that description for Advanced Physics is a placeholder. The book used is Novare's Modeling Nature: it's trigonometry-based, so obviously Algebra I is not the correct prerequisite.
    Introductory Physics uses Novare's homonymous book: it's conceived for 9th graders and, while it's a serious book with in-depth work, the exercises only need math skills acquired with Algebra I. Many students do well with it as they take Algebra I concurrently, but the MPOA past experience made them conclude that it was better to have completed Algebra I before tackling Introductory Physics.
    So yes, some students will take Introductory Physics first, and then, as their math skills progress, they can go on to Advanced Physics. There's even more beyond that, calculus-based physics, so the high school path of a STEM-oriented student should be charted carefully. It may help you to read the Novare's doc I am attaching, which explains how to sequence and pair math and science in high school.

Sequencing-Upper-School-Science-and-Math-Curriculum.pdf
    DS (15)
    DD (14)
    DS (7)

Comment

I am actually already familiar with the Novare sequence and the different methods of teaching physics depending on one's college major. Thanks, though for the clarification and reminders! That's exactly what I was wondering, if the Advanced Physics would use the Novare Modeling Nature textbook (in which case it would be taken maybe senior year after trig) or if that class used the Novare "Accelerated Studies in Physics and Chemistry," in which case an advanced student would take it in place of "Introductory Physics." They should clarify that in the course description, and probably also not list it as available to 9th graders. Only genius-level freshman would use the Modeling Nature text, I think, lol! I'm sure that they will eventually do so when they catch up with all the other online work. Thanks for your help!
      Nicole - mom - Doctor of Pharmacy, UMKC 2002, M.S. Bioethics, 2020, Univ. of Mary.
      2020/2021 - 4th year homeschooling and with MP
      DS - 7th
      DS - 6th

Comment

Working...
      X