Diploma Program planning and confusion for history credits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diploma Program planning and confusion for history credits

Trying to map our our 5 year future plans.... lol! I know God will change them, but here goes!

I'm looking at the detailed description I printed out regarding the diploma program. It says that four history credits are required, and there is a note as to which specific classes are required. However, given the way the commas are put in the sentence of the note, I cannot figure out which and how many of those classes are actually required. Here is what it says exactly: "Must take Classical Studies I and II, American, European, or World history." So, reading that, it seems like you would be able to choose just one of those 4 options (with CS I and II being lumped together.) Or, are some of the commas misplaced? Can someone tell me which specific ones are required versus optional?

Thanks!
    Nicole - mom - Doctor of Pharmacy, UMKC 2002, M.S. Bioethics, 2020, Univ. of Mary.
    2020/2021 - 4th year homeschooling and with MP
    DS - 7th
    DS - 6th

Also, do classical studies III, IV and V count as History? I am having trouble figuring out where those fit in, whether we can count them under the history tab or if they would have to be electives. My kids will have already taken CS I and II before 9th grade, so difficult to fit in four histories if CS III, IV and V don't count.
    Nicole - mom - Doctor of Pharmacy, UMKC 2002, M.S. Bioethics, 2020, Univ. of Mary.
    DS - 7th
    DS - 6th

Comment

Hi Nicole,

That is something I need to clarify in the document. CS I and II are required. We also need two modern histories (so either US, European, or Medieval). CS III, IV, and V will count as history credits if your child has already completed CS I and II going into high school.

Peace,
      Paul
      Paul Schaeffer
      --
      Academy Director
      Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Thanks. My kids will already have had CS I and II prior to high school, but were planning to take CS III, IV and V. However, I was planning for them to take US history from MPOA, but not Medieval or European because I am uncertain of how the Catholic Church would be portrayed during these time periods. MPOA has always been very careful about this, and we have never had anything anti-Catholic. I'm not concerned about that so much as just not including things or events that do need to be included, so I would have to add extra work outside of class to cover the material that secular textbooks definitely don't cover. (Examples: how does the text / teacher handle the crusades, the French Revolution, and the rebuilding of western civilization through the monastery system?) I'm wondering if some sort of very detailed syllabus of those classes could be provided, or if an exception to the diploma program could be made for those who want to take a Catholic-based Medieval and European history?

I appreciate your help! Just trying to think ahead.
        DS - 7th
        DS - 6th

Comment

Each year 7 credits are required, but only 5 of those must be with MPOA. That means you have 2 credits each year that can be done at home or somewhere else. You are fine to do Medieval and European at home or with a another provider as long as you have 5 MPOA courses.
          DD 16 | 11th
          DS 14 | 8th
          DD 12 | 7A

12th Year HSing, 8th Year MP

Comment

Originally posted by Nikkirxd View Post
            Thanks. My kids will already have had CS I and II prior to high school, but were planning to take CS III, IV and V. However, I was planning for them to take US history from MPOA, but not Medieval or European because I am uncertain of how the Catholic Church would be portrayed during these time periods. MPOA has always been very careful about this, and we have never had anything anti-Catholic. I'm not concerned about that so much as just not including things or events that do need to be included, so I would have to add extra work outside of class to cover the material that secular textbooks definitely don't cover. (Examples: how does the text / teacher handle the crusades, the French Revolution, and the rebuilding of western civilization through the monastery system?) I'm wondering if some sort of very detailed syllabus of those classes could be provided, or if an exception to the diploma program could be made for those who want to take a Catholic-based Medieval and European history?

I appreciate your help! Just trying to think ahead.
            Hi Nicole,
            You're right that we are very careful about these kinds of issues. But in high school we don't skirt them; we just deal with them respectfully. I think you would see all of those events handled well. However, what jenniferjb said is absolutely correct. We built that flexibility in for precisely this kind of situation.

Peace,
            Paul
            Paul Schaeffer
            --
            Academy Director

Comment

Thanks pschaeffer . Can I get just a bit more clarification? Your above post said that the student must take two of the three modern offerings (US, Medieval and European.) If I would rather them take medieval and European from another source, then that just leaves US, and we would not meet the requirement of taking two of those three. Or, did I read that incorrectly? Sorry for all the confusion! I'm one of those people who asks a lot of questions before making a decision.
              DS - 7th
              DS - 6th

Comment

You would be meeting the requirement of taking two of those three modern history courses; you're just taking them outside of MPOA. The Diploma Program looks at ALL the classes the student takes, not just the MPOA ones. So taking those classes outside of MPOA can fulfill the requirements if sample work and a grade are submitted. Does that help?

Peace,
                Paul
                Paul Schaeffer
                --
                Academy Director

Comment

I think it helps to keep in mind that the Diploma program only limits your choice of type of history courses, so for instance you can't choose a hypothetical course in History of the Canadian Commonwealth and ask the Diploma program to consider it a valid history credit. As long as each year you have 5 MPOA classes that do take into account the few mandatory MPOA choices, then you'd still have 2 more courses of your choice to be taken anywhere. So if your plan is not to use MPOA for Medieval and European, then MPOA for US, you'd be fine - as long as you have satisfied other Diploma requirements for those 5 classes to be taken with MPOA. I think modern history is a bit like math: the Diploma program tells you which math classes you must take, but you do not have to take them with MPOA. MPOA doesn't even have a course named "World History", and yet it is mentioned as a possible history credit, which means you do not have to restrict your choices to MPOA for all the history credits.

I do agree that MPOA should thoroughly revise the pdf presentation. Sometimes it's not clear whether the MPOA course name is intended, or just the general topic (for example, American Government is required. Does that mean the corresponding MPOA course, or any AG course would do?) Sometimes it uses confusing language (for instance, "English Literature III" is a strange term, since it doesn't match anything in the MP/MPOA world, and it simply means The Divine Comedy... which is not English literature Maybe that's what HLS calls it?)
                  DS (15)
                  DD (14)
                  DS (7)

Comment

pschaeffer Yes! That helps. Thank you. I think since those classes were listed as a note of "must take" that I originally interpreted that to mean a student must take those specific classes from MPOA and not from another source. This clears it up for me.
                    DS - 7th
                    DS - 6th

Comment

Mrs Bee good points on interpreting the pdf document. I think that is where my confusion was, regarding whether they meant specific MPOA classes or a class from another provider which covers the same material. Thanks for your help.
                      DS - 7th
                      DS - 6th

Comment

I think part of the confusion comes from name changes for courses and changes in course offerings over the years. I think they used to teach a course titled World History, but I might be remembering wrong. They have greatly expanded the history offerings since we started with MPOA by offering one and two year versions of American and European in addition to AP and adding Medieval History.
                        Dorinda

For 2020-2021
                        DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
                        DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
                        DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
                        DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

Working...
                        X