What if my child misses a MPOA class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if my child misses a MPOA class?

We travel a lot, and it is one the main reasons we homeschool. What if we are without Internet the day and time of a MPOA class? Trying to decide about things for my rising fifth grader.
    Emily…a hunter who prefers coffee to chocolate and dreams of the mountains

Beech Tree Boarding School, 2021-2022
    DD (age 10): MP 5
    DD (age 8): MP 2
    DS (age 5): MP K
    "Maybe stalking the woods is as vital to the human condition as making music or putting words to paper. Maybe hunting has as much of a claim on our civilized selves as anything else.” Steven Rinella

They can watch the recording instead My husband needed out son’s help picking up a vehicle in another state on Friday. My son was able to be absent from class and will watch the recording.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
    DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD10: SC3
    DD7: MPK

Comment

Awesome thanks. I would like to pursue it for sixth grade, for sure.
      Emily…a hunter who prefers coffee to chocolate and dreams of the mountains

Beech Tree Boarding School, 2021-2022
      DD (age 10): MP 5
      DD (age 8): MP 2
      DS (age 5): MP K
      "Maybe stalking the woods is as vital to the human condition as making music or putting words to paper. Maybe hunting has as much of a claim on our civilized selves as anything else.” Steven Rinella

Comment

Yes, Emily, that's how it works - teachers should be told in advance whenever possible, and if you feel like your child would miss more than an occasional class here and there, I would definitely contact the teacher at the beginning of the year and explain your situation.
        DS (16)
        DD (15)
        DS (7)

Comment

Not all teachers will allow classes to be missed. We also travel a lot, and for HS Comp II, the teacher only allows one class per semester to be missed. My daughter competes in a speech and debate league and we have 4-6 tournaments a year that are week long. She has always made up the work, but the teacher would not budge on her policy. MPOA is lacking in making standards for this kind of thing. We are homeschoolers, after all.

Comment

I went to check the Academy Handbook, and here's what it says:

Frequent tardiness and absence disrupts class and negatively impacts student progress. We understand that homeschool families are busy and that they homeschool for specific reasons, flexibility being one of them. However, we are a school that has real deadlines. Keeping this balance is key to being a successful student with us. Sometimes students may be absent due to an illness or because an opportunity has arisen (e.g. a homeschool field-trip, travel, a two week trip to Europe). This is normally acceptable and we work with families in these situations. Maintaining a balance of firm policy and flexibility for extenuating circumstances as well as unique opportunities is a regular part of MPOA.

Per the Parent/Student Handbook, if students are going to miss a class they should make every effort to let the instructor know ahead of time. Students are also expected to attend the time and day for which they are registered. There may be a time that a student needs to attend a different time because of a conflict, in which case the student should contact the Director at [email protected] to verify this is okay and receive instructions.

Please Note: There are some circumstances when parents and students will/can request to watch the recorded class instead of attending the live class. Obviously this is not ideal, but in most cases we can approve this. Some of these situations might be: the student lives overseas and cannot consistently attend the scheduled class time, a medical appointment or ongoing medical condition, a graduating senior with a general conflict with the class time because of other commitments, etc. In all of these cases it is acceptable that students can take the class. If you have a student like this your student will (1) be required to watch the recordings and (2) you will need to send a personal email to the instructor indicating that your student has watched the recording(s). All work should be submitted normally according to the teacher’s instructions and due dates.

I guess this gives each teacher some latitude in setting more specific standards - none of the teachers we've met so far specified a maximum number of excused absences. Again, if a family knows in advance that regular attendance is a problem, the best thing to do is to explain things as early as possible, and that may even mean before registering for a class.
            DS (16)
            DD (15)
            DS (7)

Comment

My opinion after three years with MPOA is that it is possible to miss classes, it really shouldn't be a regular thing. You do need to let the teacher know and then follow up and let them know the recording has been watched. That is fine and my kids have done it, however, it really isn't super flexible in my opinion. There are online academies that the live class portion is flexible and students are encouraged to attend but watching a recording is an equally acceptable option. If more flexibility is required I would look to another platform for online classes.

My high schooler had a class that conflicted with an important extracurrilcular activity that met once a month and required him to leave class 15 minutes early that one time a month. While he wasn't kicked out of class or anything it clearly wasn't perfectly okay with the teacher. After two months he just stopped the activity because clearly the teacher wasn't okay with that arrangement and it was a big hassle every time. Other online classes we have had would have been more accomodating to this situation.

I love MPOA and the teachers are nice and supportive so I am not complaining. I am just pointing out that it flexibility is needed on a regular basis there are other options that might be a better fit.

Comment

I should clarify that we have always notified the teacher in advance if an absence was needed. We have had 7 different teachers with MPOA and have never had an issue. That being said, we have only taken absences if there were internet issues, bad illness, or a family need.

I'm sure there are some who would take advantage of the system, but that's not us and that's not where you are coming from at all.

Emily, I would email Paul at MPOA and chat about what your family's schedule tends to be and see what he says. I can't imagine they would turn a student away when travel is part of your family culture. Before COVID hit, we were planning to begin part-time RV travel. We planned to stay in areas where internet was reliable (essential for classes and our branding/design company), but we wouldn't be able to guarantee that at all times. I had absolutely no concerns about their ability to continue with MPOA in that scenario.
                Jennifer
                Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
                DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
                DS15: MP, MPOA
                DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
                DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
                DD10: SC3
                DD7: MPK

Comment

We have always emailed in advance as well, because dates are known well in advance. She has had Cutrer and Dray in other classes and they were both very supportive of this enrichment activity as it was beneficial to her education overall. Even though I think this other teacher was a great teacher, I don't think she cared about the kids as individuals. My daughter has never asked for an extension on an assignment in her time with MPOA, that I can recall and this would have been year 5.

Comment

Hi folks, Jen is right that I am eager to work with families with their specific situations. Please reach out at [email protected] and we can work with you. I have told numerous teachers of situations where the student could not attend regularly in a live form and have never had a teacher have an issue with it.

I will note though that we try to make all of our classes interactive and certain classes, particularly composition, are wholly dedicated to teacher-student dialogue. Students will not get the same experience in a composition class by watching the recording as they would if they were actively writing in class and getting immediate feedback.

Peace,
                    Paul
                    Paul Schaeffer
                    --
                    Academy Director
                    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Working...
                    X