Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which classes must be taken with MPOA in the Diploma Program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which classes must be taken with MPOA in the Diploma Program?

There was a web page that listed which classes need to be taken online with MPOA (e.g., a certain number of literature classes have to be taken with the Academy and The Divine Comedy must be one of them) and I cannot find it. Does anyone have a link to that page?

JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (8M with 9th grade literature, and writing)
    Clara (Combination of SC 5/6 and 4th New User)

I noticed that it disappeared too. I had printed out a part of it but wanted to print out the worksheets and now that pdf is gone.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
    DS, 20, Physics major
    DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
    DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
      I noticed that it disappeared too. I had printed out a part of it but wanted to print out the worksheets and now that pdf is gone.
      I printed it out too but we are on vacation and I am getting worried about putting my daughter in the right classes for next year before they all fill up. I hope that they put it back online.
      JeJe Greer
      Mom to:

Comment

This is an old copy, but maybe it will help you until the latest is once again posted.
        Attached Files
        DD 16 | 11th
        DS 14 | 8th
        DD 12 | 7A

12th Year HSing, 8th Year MP

Comment

jejegreer This page explains the math requirements. It also looks like they’ve changed the class selection process. According to this page, after being accepted into the Program, they consult with you and your student to map out their course sequence. They also say that they give priority placement to Diploma students and work to place them in any classes that may already be full.

https://www.memoriapressacademy.com/...ation-process/

So it looks like starting the application process is your best next step
          Jennifer
          Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS17: MP, MPOA, HSC
          DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC
          DS14: MP, MPOA
          DS12: Finishing SC 4 >> Moving on to a mix of SC 5/6 & 7/8
          DD10: Finishing 3A >> Moving on to 4A
          DD8: Finishing SC2 >> Moving on to SC3
          DD6: Finishing SC-C >> Moving on to MPK

Comment

I think I remember reading somewhere as I applied that a student who hasn’t had pre-algebra in 8th can take it in 9th, but it won’t count toward the total math credits required.
            DS, 20, Physics major

Comment

Thank you all for your help. jenniferjb that is what I was looking for! I thought I remembered reading that there were certain classes that had to be taken with MPOA, but I guess not, which is very good news since that means my daughter can take ViedoText Algebra which includes Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1 and Algebra 2.
              JeJe Greer
              Mom to:

Comment

Originally posted by jejegreer View Post
                Thank you all for your help. jenniferjb that is what I was looking for! I thought I remembered reading that there were certain classes that had to be taken with MPOA, but I guess not, which is very good news since that means my daughter can take ViedoText Algebra which includes Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1 and Algebra 2.
                Just a heads-up: VT’s pre-algebra section moves quickly. I’m sure it depends on the child, but MP doesn’t usually recommend using it in place of a pre-algebra course.
                Jennifer
                Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS17: MP, MPOA, HSC
                DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC
                DS14: MP, MPOA
                DS12: Finishing SC 4 >> Moving on to a mix of SC 5/6 & 7/8
                DD10: Finishing 3A >> Moving on to 4A
                DD8: Finishing SC2 >> Moving on to SC3
                DD6: Finishing SC-C >> Moving on to MPK

Comment

jen1134 If Stella can take only calculus with MPOA I can put her in precalculus next year and then have her do the one year plan for VideoText algebra and the one year plan for VideoText geometry, which still gets her to calculus as a senior. I am a little worried about doing this because they don't have the last unit of VideoText geometry finished yet. The only other option I really see is skipping pre-algebra and doing VideoText algebra over 2 years with her taking geometry through MPOA as a sophomore (while in the 2nd year of VideoText algebra), followed by MPOA precalculus as a junior, and MPOA calculus as a senior. I just don't know where to find out if she has to take more than 1 math credit through MPOA.
                  JeJe Greer
                  Mom to:

Comment

Pretty sure the math credits don’t have to be through MPOA for the diploma program. You take 5 online classes and two “other” classes so one of those others could be math at home. You just send in work to verify.
                    Question though- have you considered what caused her to be a year behind in math (don’t answer here, just keep it in mind). Trying to do pre-algebra, algebra, and algebra 2 in one year might be a very giant load for one who maybe isn’t as strong in math. Now if it was just circumstances that prevented advancement in math and not need to slow down for mastery, she might be able to handle it if she is a particularly strong math student. It is vitally important to really master algebra 1 and algebra 2 and the trig in pre-calculus for calculus to make any sense at all. Really what is key to master in high school is algebra 1 and 3/4 of algebra 2 (I’d argue that matrices and sequences and series and probability aren’t vital for those not going into math, science, or computers) as well as geometry. It is much more important to fully master those concepts than to rush and not grasp them fully and attempt pre-calculus just to get to calculus.
                    So- if she is decently strong in math and she has a good grasp of solving for a single variable in a simple equation and how to plot points on a graph (concepts mastered in pre-algebra) then I would recommend doing VT algebra over two years for 1 and 2 credit and concurrently doing geometry the second of those two years in order to get to pre-calc in 11. And that is only if she is a strong math student and has time, energy, and focus to do two time consuming math classes in one year. Otherwise take your time to master the high school level math and leave the college math for college.
                    Another alternative if she needs to remediate more than math, but you have high goals of getting into a competitive college is to delay the start of high school by one year and spend a second year on 8th grade to get that pre-algebra in before high school as well as solidify skills needed before tacking AP level classes.
                    DS, 20, Physics major

Comment

momgineer Stella has used Matthew C so she has a very good grasp of solving for a single variable and she doesn't seem to have any trouble plotting points on a graph. I think I will follow your suggestion and do the algebra over 2 years with video text and we can decide whether or not she is going to also do geometry in 10th grade next year at this time. The problem with math is that I teach it and I am not good at making sure it gets done. She gets about 90-95% on all of her math homework and tests.
                      JeJe Greer
                      Mom to:

Comment

Hi, jejegreer , thanks for pointing out that comprehensive overview was no longer linked. The most up to date one is here: MPOADiplomaOverview2020-2021.pdf. We will get it posted.

Also, momgineer is correct that in the Diploma Program you only need to do five of seven classes with us each year; which two you do at home is up to you.

Peace,
                        Paul
                        Paul Schaeffer
                        --
                        Academy Director
                        Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

pschaeffer thank you for the most updated information.
                          JeJe Greer
                          Mom to:

Comment

Working...
                          X