X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digitalmagistra
    replied
    Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
    The time has come to resurrect this thread in case anyone has settled into this school year and realizes they need some teaching support with Latin. MPOA and Magistra Sue Strickland are offering TWO adult Latin intensives this school year. You can start the week of 9/13 and you will be done before the end of January. The $250 price is a steal. Most of us MP parents already own all the necessary books with the exception of our own personal workbook (only $15 each).

I continue to be shocked at the caliber of my fellow classmates! Coming to TF class each week and knowing that they will be ready helps keep me ready as well. I take great encouragement from their commitment.

We live in times that are more interesting than I prefer. It's nice to have the little haven of Latin class to step away to and put my brain to work on something solid right in front of me.

Maybe you need the same this school year--

1) Second Form Intensive (Thursday afternoon, plenty of seats!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 6.13.53 PM.png Views:	17 Size:	56.1 KB ID:	132617

2) Part TWO of Third Form (Units IV and V) (Tuesday afternoon, N.B. only 8 seats remain--already over half full!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 6.13.04 PM.png Views:	19 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	132616

If anyone has questions about the Fall Second Form or Third Form Latin classes or classes next summer, please feel free to email me at [email protected].

~Sue Strickland, Instructor

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    The time has come to resurrect this thread in case anyone has settled into this school year and realizes they need some teaching support with Latin. MPOA and Magistra Sue Strickland are offering TWO adult Latin intensives this school year. You can start the week of 9/13 and you will be done before the end of January. The $250 price is a steal. Most of us MP parents already own all the necessary books with the exception of our own personal workbook (only $15 each).

I continue to be shocked at the caliber of my fellow classmates! Coming to TF class each week and knowing that they will be ready helps keep me ready as well. I take great encouragement from their commitment.

We live in times that are more interesting than I prefer. It's nice to have the little haven of Latin class to step away to and put my brain to work on something solid right in front of me.

Maybe you need the same this school year--

1) Second Form Intensive (Thursday afternoon, plenty of seats!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 6.13.53 PM.png
Views:	59
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	132617

2) Part TWO of Third Form (Units IV and V) (Tuesday afternoon, N.B. only 8 seats remain--already over half full!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 6.13.04 PM.png
Views:	85
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	132616

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    Mom2mthj
    I was super excited to see your name on the participants list today! We have a 'uge class!

Leave a comment:

• Mom2mthj
    replied

Haha! Michael, you know I have a 3rd grader to beat through the Forms. This is a good next step.
    Amen! I signed up yesterday for third form. I have an eighth grader going into third form, but a third grader starting first form. I started Prima with my newly minted high school graduate when she was in first grade. It has only taken me twelve years to make it through second form. I really have to kick it into gear to not be left in the dust by all four of my children.

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    Originally posted by Beorn View Post

When you went from 95% to 96%, we all knew. I wish I could jump in but I will have to bide my time for a bit. Keep trailblazing!
    Haha! Michael, you know I have a 3rd grader to beat through the Forms. This is a good next step.

Leave a comment:

• Beorn
    replied
    Decision made: Officially registered for Third Form this summer. ✔
    When you went from 95% to 96%, we all knew. I wish I could jump in but I will have to bide my time for a bit. Keep trailblazing!

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    Decision made: Officially registered for Third Form this summer. ✔

Leave a comment:

• BearWallowSchool
    replied
    Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

LC is really more my speed.
    #solittletime
    I have similar feelings. I think I would love the class. I just need some motivation to commit myself to it. I have commitment issues. Lol

Leave a comment:

• Mom2mthj
    replied
    Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

#solittletime

Yes, BearWallowSchool -- First Form.
    Dianna,
    You can do this! I love First Form so much more than Latina Christiana. I had so many aha moments in first form.

Leave a comment:

• DiannaKennedy
    replied

I'm going to go ahead and tell you she means First Form.
    #solittletime

Yes, BearWallowSchool -- First Form.

Leave a comment:

• Mom2mthj
    replied
    Originally posted by Deb H View Post

I just finished the adult Second Form class in January. Susan's advice was to work though the SFL Student workbook a second time before starting Third From. In her words, "TF will kick you in the teeth if you haven't mastered SF." This is not to discourage you! I would just recommend you brush up on grammar and vocabulary before TF starts. Susan hasn't released a syllabus yet but I'm assuming the format will be similar to the First Form intensive class that frequently did more than one lesson per class time, some weeks we covered 3 lessons and we always skipped the review lessons. It was a similar format in the Second Form intensive. The fall TFL class will reduce to just Tuesdays at 3:00 EST. I'm on central time and it was a commitment to pause my school day with my kids so I could take a class, but it was worth the sacrifice. My daughter is in TFL this year and with only SF "nearly" under my belt I've been able to help her a bit with sentence translations. It was shocking to me that my SF experience helped me to do this!
    I think going through second form twice is overkill unless it has been a long time since you completed it. Was she only referring to adults? I made it through a couple of units of second form and decided to start over in a new workbook with my third child, but I don’t feel the need to do it again. We don’t recommend (or maybe she does) that our children do second form twice unless they had some major problem with the book. Third form is long, third form covers a lot of new grammar (some that we don’t deal with in much in English), but I think we seemed to have developed this fear of it that is a bit out of line with reality. A second time through second form isn’t particularly going to help with the different type of pronouns or the subjunctive. I threw my child in who pretty much taught herself second form through most of unit four into the summer second form review class and into third form with Mrs. Strickland and she very well. My Latin hating, translation-phobe son did one and a half units of second form, sort of did Henle units 1-5 and then was put into third form with Dr. Dray and earned an A. He could not have less mastery or motivation going into the class. I don’t really believe that the grading scale necessarily equates to mastery because homework is not submitted (which meant my son did very few translation exercises) and (my pet peeve) that quizzes can be retaken, but the results for both were good, especially comparing how it would have gone with our life circumstances at the time. I will be teaching third form to my third child because I think he will have trouble with the amount of auto grading in third form and the overall pace. I would have mutiny on my hands if I told him he needed to redo second form.

Leave a comment:

• pschaeffer
    replied
    The second part of the course is teaching the second part of the textbook. Just taking the summer course would get you at least the first half under your belt.

As for having mastery of Second Form, we only say that "You should have a working knowledge of the vocabulary and grammar from First Form Latin and Second Form Latin." If you have that, you should be all set.

Peace,
    Paul

Leave a comment:

• Deb H
    replied
    Originally posted by ShaunaN View Post
    I'm glad I stumbled upon this post. I *think* we've decided to do Third Form at home this year with help from the steaming videos rather than enroll my rising seventh-grader in MPOA. It would be his first MPOA course and he is concerned about the pace. We have had to take two weeks on some lessons this year for SFL.

That being said, I would love to take the adult TFL summer course...if I can keep up with it. I wouldn't say that I've mastered SFL. Would that be a prerequisite to the class?

Also, the listing for TFL shows it being offered in two parts, with the second part in the fall. Since I'm on mountain time, I doubt that I could take a class that (for me) meets at 1 p.m. Is the second part of the class teaching the second part of the textbook? Would it be worth just taking the summer course?
    I just finished the adult Second Form class in January. Susan's advice was to work though the SFL Student workbook a second time before starting Third From. In her words, "TF will kick you in the teeth if you haven't mastered SF." This is not to discourage you! I would just recommend you brush up on grammar and vocabulary before TF starts. Susan hasn't released a syllabus yet but I'm assuming the format will be similar to the First Form intensive class that frequently did more than one lesson per class time, some weeks we covered 3 lessons and we always skipped the review lessons. It was a similar format in the Second Form intensive. The fall TFL class will reduce to just Tuesdays at 3:00 EST. I'm on central time and it was a commitment to pause my school day with my kids so I could take a class, but it was worth the sacrifice. My daughter is in TFL this year and with only SF "nearly" under my belt I've been able to help her a bit with sentence translations. It was shocking to me that my SF experience helped me to do this!

Leave a comment:

• ShaunaN
    replied
    I'm glad I stumbled upon this post. I *think* we've decided to do Third Form at home this year with help from the steaming videos rather than enroll my rising seventh-grader in MPOA. It would be his first MPOA course and he is concerned about the pace. We have had to take two weeks on some lessons this year for SFL.

That being said, I would love to take the adult TFL summer course...if I can keep up with it. I wouldn't say that I've mastered SFL. Would that be a prerequisite to the class?

Also, the listing for TFL shows it being offered in two parts, with the second part in the fall. Since I'm on mountain time, I doubt that I could take a class that (for me) meets at 1 p.m. Is the second part of the class teaching the second part of the textbook? Would it be worth just taking the summer course?

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    How exciting! The reviews above are strong about having a great experience.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X