Adult Summer Latin classes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post

I hadn’t heard anything about Sodalitas this year. Is it happening? It is hard to find the summer adult classes. I hadn’t heard about the adult classes until I saw this thread.
    Yes, it is happening. Details and registration will be posted soon.
    Paul Schaeffer
    --
    Academy Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post

I hadn’t heard anything about Sodalitas this year. Is it happening? It is hard to find the summer adult classes. I hadn’t heard about the adult classes until I saw this thread.
      It is July 12-13.
      Christine

(2022/2023)
      DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
      DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post

Thanks. We will try to figure that out tomorrow.
        AH! I see now on the "course" drop down menu there is an "adult" selection.
        Christine

(2022/2023)
        DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
        DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
        DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post

https://www.memoriapressacademy.com/adult-courses/

I just got an e-mail from Mrs. Strickland! The course link works now and it starts in June! .
          I am so glad you posted that! I wasn't planning on taking it because I didn't think there was any way I could get through second form in 6 weeks. Now that it's almost a full 3 months I think I am going to sign up!
          ~Michelle

DD 13 (MP 8 - 4FL and Ref/Con through MPOA)
          DS 11 (MP 6 w/MPOA)
          DS 5 - MP K (My first Kindergartner with MP!!!)
          DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
            I'm eyeing Third. Anyone else?
            I know I could do it at home, but I also know the value of a great teacher, like-minded peers, and strict schedule!
            I just finished the Adult SFL class with Magistra Strickland and I can not say enough good things about the class and Susan. I looked forward to class every week and found Susan to be so encouraging. It was definitely hard to keep on top of it but well worth the effort. The most helpful thing is to not get behind on quizzes (same advice we hear our kids' teachers telling them!). SFL wrapped up last month and now I am going back through all my Second Form recitation and grammar rules. I also purchased a second student workbook and am working my way though sections that gave me trouble the first time through or areas where I just need extra practice. In Magistra's word, "TFL will kick you in the teeth if you're not solid on Second Form." I will be ready for Third From this summer! It'd be so fun to be in class with familiar voices!

Comment

Deb H This makes me so excited to think we may be in class together! I'm sitting at 95% commitment. I need to get over the last 5%. This class means shelving my other academic pursuits for the duration, likely. I did that in 2020 to accomplish something specific; it took all year and it felt great. I know from experience that giving my all to something and conquering it by this time next year is a worthy investment. I think I'm up to 96% now. Ha!
              Truly the only thing for me still under consideration is the time-slot. I need to make sure I can give up those mid-afternoons in a really ongoing way. Being only 1.5 hours helps.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
              DS Hillsdale College freshman
              DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
              DD 8th • HLN & Home
              DS 5th • HLN & Home
              Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
              Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

So, who is diving in with me in FFL?
                Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
                DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
                DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
                DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
                DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

DiannaKennedy, Do you mean Fourth Form or First Form?
                  Tiffany

DD13, DS12, DD9, DD6, DD5, DD1

Comment

Originally posted by BearWallowSchool View Post
                    DiannaKennedy, Do you mean Fourth Form or First Form?
                    I'm going to go ahead and tell you she means First Form.
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
                    DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post

I'm going to go ahead and tell you she means First Form.
                      Thank you! And duh, after I thought about it there isn’t even a Fourth Form class! Ha

I’m considering the first form summer class.
                      Tiffany

DD13, DS12, DD9, DD6, DD5, DD1

Comment

How exciting! The reviews above are strong about having a great experience.
                        Festina lentē,
                        Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
                        DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

I'm glad I stumbled upon this post. I *think* we've decided to do Third Form at home this year with help from the steaming videos rather than enroll my rising seventh-grader in MPOA. It would be his first MPOA course and he is concerned about the pace. We have had to take two weeks on some lessons this year for SFL.

That being said, I would love to take the adult TFL summer course...if I can keep up with it. I wouldn't say that I've mastered SFL. Would that be a prerequisite to the class?

Also, the listing for TFL shows it being offered in two parts, with the second part in the fall. Since I'm on mountain time, I doubt that I could take a class that (for me) meets at 1 p.m. Is the second part of the class teaching the second part of the textbook? Would it be worth just taking the summer course?
                          DS, 11 (MP 7M)
                          DD, 8 (MP 3M)
                          DD, 5 (MP K)
                          DS, almost 1! (chewing on books and knocking stuff over)

Comment

Originally posted by ShaunaN View Post
                            I'm glad I stumbled upon this post. I *think* we've decided to do Third Form at home this year with help from the steaming videos rather than enroll my rising seventh-grader in MPOA. It would be his first MPOA course and he is concerned about the pace. We have had to take two weeks on some lessons this year for SFL.

That being said, I would love to take the adult TFL summer course...if I can keep up with it. I wouldn't say that I've mastered SFL. Would that be a prerequisite to the class?

Also, the listing for TFL shows it being offered in two parts, with the second part in the fall. Since I'm on mountain time, I doubt that I could take a class that (for me) meets at 1 p.m. Is the second part of the class teaching the second part of the textbook? Would it be worth just taking the summer course?
                            I just finished the adult Second Form class in January. Susan's advice was to work though the SFL Student workbook a second time before starting Third From. In her words, "TF will kick you in the teeth if you haven't mastered SF." This is not to discourage you! I would just recommend you brush up on grammar and vocabulary before TF starts. Susan hasn't released a syllabus yet but I'm assuming the format will be similar to the First Form intensive class that frequently did more than one lesson per class time, some weeks we covered 3 lessons and we always skipped the review lessons. It was a similar format in the Second Form intensive. The fall TFL class will reduce to just Tuesdays at 3:00 EST. I'm on central time and it was a commitment to pause my school day with my kids so I could take a class, but it was worth the sacrifice. My daughter is in TFL this year and with only SF "nearly" under my belt I've been able to help her a bit with sentence translations. It was shocking to me that my SF experience helped me to do this!

Comment

The second part of the course is teaching the second part of the textbook. Just taking the summer course would get you at least the first half under your belt.

As for having mastery of Second Form, we only say that "You should have a working knowledge of the vocabulary and grammar from First Form Latin and Second Form Latin." If you have that, you should be all set.

Peace,
                              Paul
                              Paul Schaeffer
                              --
                              Academy Director
                              Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Originally posted by Deb H View Post

I just finished the adult Second Form class in January. Susan's advice was to work though the SFL Student workbook a second time before starting Third From. In her words, "TF will kick you in the teeth if you haven't mastered SF." This is not to discourage you! I would just recommend you brush up on grammar and vocabulary before TF starts. Susan hasn't released a syllabus yet but I'm assuming the format will be similar to the First Form intensive class that frequently did more than one lesson per class time, some weeks we covered 3 lessons and we always skipped the review lessons. It was a similar format in the Second Form intensive. The fall TFL class will reduce to just Tuesdays at 3:00 EST. I'm on central time and it was a commitment to pause my school day with my kids so I could take a class, but it was worth the sacrifice. My daughter is in TFL this year and with only SF "nearly" under my belt I've been able to help her a bit with sentence translations. It was shocking to me that my SF experience helped me to do this!
                                I think going through second form twice is overkill unless it has been a long time since you completed it. Was she only referring to adults? I made it through a couple of units of second form and decided to start over in a new workbook with my third child, but I don’t feel the need to do it again. We don’t recommend (or maybe she does) that our children do second form twice unless they had some major problem with the book. Third form is long, third form covers a lot of new grammar (some that we don’t deal with in much in English), but I think we seemed to have developed this fear of it that is a bit out of line with reality. A second time through second form isn’t particularly going to help with the different type of pronouns or the subjunctive. I threw my child in who pretty much taught herself second form through most of unit four into the summer second form review class and into third form with Mrs. Strickland and she very well. My Latin hating, translation-phobe son did one and a half units of second form, sort of did Henle units 1-5 and then was put into third form with Dr. Dray and earned an A. He could not have less mastery or motivation going into the class. I don’t really believe that the grading scale necessarily equates to mastery because homework is not submitted (which meant my son did very few translation exercises) and (my pet peeve) that quizzes can be retaken, but the results for both were good, especially comparing how it would have gone with our life circumstances at the time. I will be teaching third form to my third child because I think he will have trouble with the amount of auto grading in third form and the overall pace. I would have mutiny on my hands if I told him he needed to redo second form.
                                Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
                                15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
                                DD College Freshman
                                DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
                                DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
                                DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Working...
                                X