Classical Studies III and IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical Studies III and IV

Hello! I'm pondering which one to pick for our 10th grade year. The kids did CS I with MPOA last year and this year are doing CS II at home + the Vita Beata discussion forum. I'm curious to know whether there was a reason to call one III and the other IV - meaning, should numbering suggest an order based on a specific reason? Who is teaching IV this year, and will that be the same next year?
    I'm leaning towards doing IV before III, but that will also depend on whether I can put together a schedule without conflicts.
    Thank you!
    DS (16)
    DD (15)
    DS (7)

I had always thought the order went Homer, Virgil, Greek Tragedies, Dante, Cicero. It surprised me when I saw the online academy numbered them differently. The homeschool plans do the tragedies the year after Aeneid so that’s what we did and it worked great. I plan to do the same with my rising 9th grader who finishes Aeneid this year even if he does it online. I’m curious to hear why they changed the order. I can easily see my 9th grader doing tragedies but not Cicero.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
    DS, 21, Physics and math major
    DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
    DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
    DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Hello.

We do the order that you have listed at HLS and in our MP curriculum. But we do Dante and Cicero in the same year, one as literature and the other as classical studies. It's a big year! We're not sure why Scott numbered them differently for MPOA, but you can do them out of order if you want to follow the HLS path. And I will say that Greek tragedies are easier than City of God, hands down. So I would actually recommend switching the order that MPOA has them listed in. Paul is going to look into changing the order and maybe renaming the classes, but he is wrapped up now trying to get the new schedule completed and up, so I don't think it will happen for this next school year!

Tanya

Comment

Thank you both for your answers! We just read the pages about St. Augustine in The History of Medieval Europe, so this was our brief introduction to the City of Man and the City of God - how wonderful it is to have the opportunity to discuss these ideas and to realize they're not a thing of the past at all, it's something we grapple with in every age and place.
        I did neglect to check the curriculum path and HLS, so thank you for confirming. If we do the tragedies first, we will also end up the following year with Dante, St. Augustine, and Cicero.
        Now that MPOA schedule better be good to me and let me follow my plan!
        DS (16)
        DD (15)
        DS (7)

Comment

Could I still have the name of the teacher, please? The schedule for the current school year only has "TBA" for CS IV. Thanks!
          DS (16)
          DD (15)
          DS (7)

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post
            Could I still have the name of the teacher, please? The schedule for the current school year only has "TBA" for CS IV. Thanks!
            The classes will all be posted tomorrow if all goes well.

Peace,
            Paul
            Paul Schaeffer
            --
            Academy Director
            Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post

Peace,
              Paul
              Alleluia!!
              Amanda - Mama to three crazy boys, teacher at St. Dominic Latin (FFL, TFL, 4FL, Traditional Logic 1&2), Memoria College student

2021-2022
              9th grade - a mix of MPOA, Vita Beata, Lukeion, and AOPS
              8th grade - 8M with modifications
              4th grade - 4A

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post

Peace,
                Paul
                DiannaKennedy
                Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
                (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
                DS, 21, Physics and math major
                DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
                DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
                DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
                  Are you kidding me?

jen1134 already sent me a text with a screenshot! I guess I can't sleep in tomorrow.
                  Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
                  DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
                  DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                  DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
                  DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
                  DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

Working...
                  X