Self Paced courses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
    What y'all are suggesting is phase two of the self-paced courses. We are going to get them up in a similar format to what they were when we had "Independent Study" courses, and then start tackling more of these aspects that require human feedback afterwards.

Peace,
    Paul
    Then can you elaborate on how self paced courses differ from the currently available self paced DVDs/streaming? If it is a just a recording of a teacher and students do assignments and parents grade them and students take a test and parents grade it, wouldn’t the current DVDs/streaming do the exact same thing?
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
    DS, 21, Physics and math major
    DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
    DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
    DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

The courses we intend to roll out this year will all have automatic grading. So the advantages will be that you have the videos, lesson plans, and quizzes all in one place and you don't have to grade!

Peace,
      Paul
      Paul Schaeffer
      --
      Academy Director
      Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

On the independent study courses, there were online quizzes ... I didn't have to grade anything - they were computer graded.
        2020-2021
        DS10: gr5- MP5, FFL(MPOA), fable (MPOA), LOF math, Westminster Shorter Catechism Workbook, Vita Beata Lit5 and FMOR

2019-2020
        DS14: gr9- MP8, FFL, fable/narrative (MPOA), R&S math 6, Myself & Others 3, Ligonier connect biblical studies, coop art/PE/Life Skills
        DS9: gr4- MP4, LC, intro to comp, LOF Math, Myself and Others 3, catechism workbook, coop art/PE/supplemental science

Comment

So how does that work for Latin? I know in the online class my son is in, the teacher has to grade the translations because there are too many variables that could be correct for the computer to recognize. The grammar and vocabulary portions are computer graded, but the translations are not. A similar question with Logic- the quizzes often ask the student to create their own syllogism. How does the computer grade that?
          I guess I feel I am perfectly capable to keeping track of my own lesson plans and grading a quiz that has exact right answers where I can simply look at the answer key and grade it. The problem is with grading the subjective parts of the tests. That is where I would need help.

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
            So how does that work for Latin? I know in the online class my son is in, the teacher has to grade the translations because there are too many variables that could be correct for the computer to recognize. The grammar and vocabulary portions are computer graded, but the translations are not. A similar question with Logic- the quizzes often ask the student to create their own syllogism. How does the computer grade that?
            I guess I feel I am perfectly capable to keeping track of my own lesson plans and grading a quiz that has exact right answers where I can simply look at the answer key and grade it. The problem is with grading the subjective parts of the tests. That is where I would need help.
            That subjective grading will be phase two of these self-paced courses. Initially we will roll out the things that don't need that help and then we will work on getting teachers ready to do the grading.

Peace,
            Paul
            Paul Schaeffer
            --
            Academy Director

Comment

So if we wanted to use a self paced Latin class, we would still have to grade the translation part of the tests ourselves? Or are they just not tested as rigorously as the homeschool test booklet? It’s probably a moot question for me anyway- my 8th grader will be in Henle 2 next year which I’m assuming is too advanced for self paced and by the time my next one (1st grade) gets to Forms, you’d have the second phase out anyway. I guess mostly I’m just curious since I’m sure the FB group will be asking and I want to be prepared with answers.

Comment

So if we wanted to use a self paced Latin class, we would still have to grade the translation part of the tests ourselves? Or are they just not tested as rigorously as the homeschool test booklet? It’s probably a moot question for me anyway- my 8th grader will be in Henle 2 next year which I’m assuming is too advanced for self paced and by the time my next one (1st grade) gets to Forms, you’d have the second phase out anyway. I guess mostly I’m just curious since I’m sure the FB group will be asking and I want to be prepared with answers.
                I will say that my daughter has taken second form and is halfway through third form this year with MPOA. Thus far all of her quizzes and tests are automatically graded. I am assuming it's instructor specific, but she gets an immediate grade for those classes. She is also not yet doing extensive translations which is I am sure where things get more complicated.
                ~Michelle

DD 13 (MP 8 - 4FL and Ref/Con through MPOA)
                DS 11 (MP 6 w/MPOA)
                DS 5 - MP K (My first Kindergartner with MP!!!)
                DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by 3Blessings View Post

I will say that my daughter has taken second form and is halfway through third form this year with MPOA. Thus far all of her quizzes and tests are automatically graded. I am assuming it's instructor specific, but she gets an immediate grade for those classes. She is also not yet doing extensive translations which is I am sure where things get more complicated.
                  Interesting. My son is in Fourth Form in MPOA. A few of his translation quizzes were self graded, but most were graded by the teacher. Honestly, having taught Third Form to three children so far, I can’t imagine all the translations being auto graded. If the student changes the word order the answer would be correct still but the computer would think it was wrong. And if it is all multiple choice or something that is not enough actual translation skill as I would expect it to test. Hmmm, I think I need to research a bit more. Maybe I have different expectations than the author of the Forms intended? My whole philosophy of education is being challenged by all this new, we don’t need a human teacher, technology.

Comment

Debbie (just found your signature!) and Michelle,
                    Third Form at MPOA really ought to have more translation work and more manual grading--I'm working towards that as quickly as I can. However, the system can handle word order amazingly well if we create the quizzes properly. Most likely when we roll out self-paced courses for those levels we will have a mix of auto and manual grading. This does mean though that Third Form and beyond will have to be in phase two, unfortunately. That was assumed in my earlier comment and I can see now how that was confusing. My apologies.

Peace,
                    Paul
                    Paul Schaeffer
                    --
                    Academy Director

Comment

That makes sense. I guess in my world right now “Latin” means this confusing mess of verbals and subjunctives and ablative absolutes. I can see how self paced would work for Prima or LC or even First Form. Ah, those were the days. Thankfully I get to teach those one more time as my 7year old gets a bit older. No way am I giving that privilege over to a computer- I only have one more baby to chant “amo, amas, amat” with. In my old age (I do turn 50 this year, eek!), I tend to have blocked out memories of what it was like when 4-5 single digit age kids were all in need of my attention. I do have a grandchild on the way (my daughter in law is an MPOA grad who is a PhD candidate in philosophy at SLU!) so maybe I can teach him/her Latin one day. And yes, I realize I am a weirdo for enjoying teaching Latin- at least through Second or Third Form and then you can have at them with all that ablative absolute stuff. I like teaching algebra and precalculus too though if that tells you anything about me. Sorry to have bombarded this thread with my questions. Keep up the great work and all the new offerings you are developing.

Comment

Interesting. My son is in Fourth Form in MPOA. A few of his translation quizzes were self graded, but most were graded by the teacher. Honestly, having taught Third Form to three children so far, I can’t imagine all the translations being auto graded. If the student changes the word order the answer would be correct still but the computer would think it was wrong. And if it is all multiple choice or something that is not enough actual translation skill as I would expect it to test. Hmmm, I think I need to research a bit more. Maybe I have different expectations than the author of the Forms intended? My whole philosophy of education is being challenged by all this new, we don’t need a human teacher, technology.
                        Admittedly I have been a little surprised at this. With all the talk about third form being translation heavy I would have expected to have more teacher graded activities. However we are only halfway through the year, and so I can see it changing. She just had her first longish translation exercise in the book. I know they spend a lot of class time as well on translation and break out so they can get one on one feedback on the translations. From what I have seen most of her quizzes and tests are vocabulary / conjugation / declension based.

The online testing format seemed to work well when I took FFL online this past summer. For anything that had options, the instructions were very specific in how to put them in the boxes (Use progressive present, 1 word per box, "he" for 3rd Sing. ect.). I can see it being problematic for the higher levels when things are more complex, but I do think it would work well for the beginning years.
                        ~Michelle

DD 13 (MP 8 - 4FL and Ref/Con through MPOA)
                        DS 11 (MP 6 w/MPOA)
                        DS 5 - MP K (My first Kindergartner with MP!!!)
                        DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Comment

Working...
                        X