Middle school science 1 vs birds/medicine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middle school science 1 vs birds/medicine

How does the middle school science 1 MPOA class compare - in terms of workload - to the 6th grade homeschool core science (birds/medicine)? When I look at the samples of the manual, it looks like the homeschool core science version only takes one day/week, whereas the MPOA class says to expect 30-40 minutes of homework/day ... Is this an accurate representation? It sounds like a huge difference.
    2020-2021
    DS10: gr5- MP5, FFL(MPOA), fable (MPOA), LOF math, Westminster Shorter Catechism Workbook, Vita Beata Lit5 and FMOR

2019-2020
    DS14: gr9- MP8, FFL, fable/narrative (MPOA), R&S math 6, Myself & Others 3, Ligonier connect biblical studies, coop art/PE/Life Skills
    DS9: gr4- MP4, LC, intro to comp, LOF Math, Myself and Others 3, catechism workbook, coop art/PE/supplemental science

I am debating this very thing with my daughter (for next year). We can only do 1 MPOA class, so I'm debating the MS science or Narrative.
    Christine

(2022/2023)
    DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
    DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

We haven't done either, so I'm shooting from the hip here....but I'm betting they're both pretty equal. The one day a week isn't very accurate as the student is expected to review throughout the week. I'm betting that's written in to the expectations for the MPOA class, whereas it's not for the homeschool course, but both would expect daily review.
      DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
      DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
      DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
      Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
      Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

I can't speak to the workload comparison but I can tell you that my daughter took MS Science 1 in 6th grade and absolutely loved it. She isn't super interested in science, generally, but she had that class with Mrs. Peterson and she really enjoyed it.

Comment

We haven't done Birds, but my older two did Middle School Science I and II. The Medicine book is the easiest of the three covered by the class, the one that is most of all a historical narrative. If Mrs. Peterson hasn't changed her method, you can expect an open-book worksheet every week covering a couple of chapters and about three closed-book tests and a final exam for each book. The worksheets are a mix of multiple choice and paragraph answers. There are experiments that can take different forms, since it's not easy with Astronomy - one of them, for instance, was to prepare a one-slide presentation to the class of a space mission. Other projects involved baking bread to check the interaction between sugar and yeast, growing and observing mold, and a geocaching treasure hunt. There were lab report forms to complete for these activities. Each book study ended with an online game of Kahoot that was both review in preparation for the final exam and a way to get extra credit if reaching the podium.
          My kids didn't work daily for this class, but I would say that 30 minutes daily plus class time is a good estimate for MS Science I - you will need more work on weeks that have special projects due. You will have to decide whether your child needs a daily routine, or can combine the work into a couple of days and still master the content.

Mrs. Peterson is a super-excellent teacher, my kids love her and can't wait for next year's Biology class!
          DS (16)
          DD (15)
          DS (7)

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post
            We haven't done Birds, but my older two did Middle School Science I and II. The Medicine book is the easiest of the three covered by the class, the one that is most of all a historical narrative. If Mrs. Peterson hasn't changed her method, you can expect an open-book worksheet every week covering a couple of chapters and about three closed-book tests and a final exam for each book. The worksheets are a mix of multiple choice and paragraph answers. There are experiments that can take different forms, since it's not easy with Astronomy - one of them, for instance, was to prepare a one-slide presentation to the class of a space mission. Other projects involved baking bread to check the interaction between sugar and yeast, growing and observing mold, and a geocaching treasure hunt. There were lab report forms to complete for these activities. Each book study ended with an online game of Kahoot that was both review in preparation for the final exam and a way to get extra credit if reaching the podium.
            My kids didn't work daily for this class, but I would say that 30 minutes daily plus class time is a good estimate for MS Science I - you will need more work on weeks that have special projects due. You will have to decide whether your child needs a daily routine, or can combine the work into a couple of days and still master the content.

Mrs. Peterson is a super-excellent teacher, my kids love her and can't wait for next year's Biology class!
            This was an extremely helpful description of the class. So, thank you very much.
            Christine

(2022/2023)
            DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
            DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
            DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post

This was an extremely helpful description of the class. So, thank you very much.
              You're welcome! I forgot to mention that the tests and finals are timed - students have around 30 to 60 minutes, depending on the number of questions. The weekly worksheets are not timed.
              DS (16)
              DD (15)
              DS (7)

Comment

Working...
              X